SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnam era Vets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam era Vets Login/Join 
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Drafted Jan. '71, BCT at Fort Polk, LA. Upon completion of Basic received orders for CASPP (Civilian Acquired Skill, Permanent Party) as an 83F20 at Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

Spent the balance of two years there in a Field Printing Unit and the balance of the six year commitment as inactive reserve.

At the range

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Not a VN Vet God bless all of you.

Was at the local farmers market last Sunday and saw a VN Vet in a wheelchair enjoying the scene He was wearing a cap denoting service in 1964 and 1965. He was surprised when I engaged him and then thanked him for his service. He was a very cool dude. Thank God for the service of these men.

One more thing. My wife asked me what I was doing and I explained that these men were spit on, when they returned from serving their country, and that I will honor them every time I have the opportunity. She gets it.

And thank you, to every single Viet Nam Vet that reads this. We love you.

Thats it.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 2nd trip to "induction center (MKE)", joined USAF, Nov'68 - Apr'80

Lackland, Tx

Feb'71- Feb'72 Cam Rahn Bay, RVN

Sep'72- Jan'73 Korat, RTAFB

Mar'74- Mar'75 Ubon & Korat, RTAFB

Posts: 8 | Location: KATW | Registered: August 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAF 1958-1970
Basic at Lackland
Finished basic + 14 weeks of tech school at Sheppard (Wichita Falls, TX - wiring panels and operating IBM machines)
Seymour Johnson AFB NC
Wheelus AB Libya
England AFB LA
Back to Sheppard as instructor - programming supervisor
Burroughs offered job couldn't refuse in compilers, after I taught their equipment for two years
There were no positions in SE Asia for my rank and skill. Knew quite a few who did go while I was attached to 1st Air Commando Wing in LA (no,I was not a commando. The commando training was at the swamps around England AFB).

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enlisted, November 1968, first hitch until May of 1972, US Army.
Basic-Fort Leonard Wood, MO
AIT Fort Devens, MA, Two Rock Station, Petaluma Ca.
12 months in Thailand, 13 months in Korea, another 1 1/2 months in Fort Hood, Kiline, Tx. I spent the last month and a half as CQ, because they didn't know what to do with me. I went on leave before getting there, called the Pentagon and got papers for an early out. Took me about 15 minutes on the phone. It took a month and a half for them to get confirmed at Ft Hood.

And yes, we didn't get a warm welcome. When I came back from 2 years overseas, I was asked how many babies I killed more than once while in uniform on the day I went home, going from Seattle to Detroit.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Joined May 1, 1967, U.S. Army. Basic at Ft. Polk, Louisiana in the heat and humidity of May, June and part of July. Then on to Ft. Wolters, Texas for Primary Flight Training.

I remember getting harassed by the Hari Krishnias, spit on in San Francisco, Spit on returning through the east coast. What a load of crap. As Bobofbone stated, the questions never stopped. The worst things were the VA not being supportive of the VN vets and the American public basically turning their backs on us that in large part was the result of the Commie press and hippies.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
Drafted May 1969, took basic at Ft. Dix NJ. 63C20, E-5 hard stripe sgt. AIT was Ft. Gordon. Was stationed Long Thong for 14 months; got through two Tet offensives.

I learned real quick not to mention military service when I got back to the world in '71. Only way I seemed to be able to get hired. I'm still pissed about that treatment. Exceedingly glad that returning vets now get treated with the respect they earned.

Welcome home...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
This may be a long post, I'm not going to edit/delete.
When anyone but someone I know is a vet, tells me "Thanks for your service" I get a nauseous feeling in my gut. I'm sure some are sincere. Others are being P.C. And maybe I'm being a prick.

For those who really want to make these young guys coming back from the Mideast (or anywhere)feel welcome, I'd like to suggest you ask them over a beer or coffee just what they did. Some will not want to talk. Others will relate mundane everyday life ocurrances influenced by being in a combat zone, or stuck on a spit 'n polish base somewhere. The idea is for them to know you care and am glad somebody did something.
And for any high muckie-muck reading my drivel, you better get your act squared away and get those departments below you in motion NOW. Sandbox vets especially are bringing a lot of problems (mental as well as physical) back and from what I've seen you're catching up, but still behind the curve.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Air Force ROTC, 1966-1970. Commissioned 2nd Lt.
Security Police Training at Lackland AFB, TX., 1970.
Active Duty 1970-72 Loring AFB, ME.
Inactive Reserves, 1973-78.
Active Reserves, 1979-1997.
Retired from AFOSI Reserve program as Lt. Col., 1997.

Salute all those who served during the Vietnam War Era.

Serving in the military was a defining experience and the GI Bill allowed me to further my education.

Posts: 225 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Joined the Navy in 1963 and did twelve years. Joined the Army and did ten years, retiring as a Warrant Officer in 1985.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Drafted 6/65, Basic at Ft Dix, AIT at Ft Sill.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azranger45
posted Hide Post
USAF-BMT Lackland AFB,59, Det. 1, 67th Air Rescue Squadron,Spangdahlem AFB-60, Pacific Air Rescue,Udorn RTAFB-62-63, Hon Discharge-63

Posts: 359 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Joined 1975 USAF. Basic @ Lackland. Tech school @ Chanute IL. Aircraft Electrician; 52nd TFW Spangdahlem AB Germany. Hon. Discharge 1979

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good thread.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobofbone:
And yes, we didn't get a warm welcome. When I came back from 2 years overseas, I was asked how many babies I killed more than once while in uniform on the day I went home, going from Seattle to Detroit.

My wife served as a OB nurse. When she was in Germany they had a sick baby that needed a Nightingale flight to Walter Reed. She specialefd the baby through the entire flight. Returning to Germany she changed planes in LaGuardia. It was there a bunch of dipshit war protesters ganged up on her with cries of "baby killer." A buck Sergeant with a green beret pulled her out. He waved her on while he pointed out that he had just gotten back from Vietnam and was willing to discuss it. Singly, or as a group.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAF basic ROTC summer training at Amarilllo AFB, TX
Commissioned June 1968, Norman, OK
Assignments at Moody AFB, GA; Ramstein AB, Germany; Carswell AFB, TX; Brooks AFB, TX; Auburn Univ, Auburn, AL, and Pentagon (OSD HA), Washington DC
Retired Oct 1990

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oday450,

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
Joined Navy 1965,boot camp at San Diego, then to VR-21 at NAS Barbers Point, Hi,11/67 to NAS North Island to VS-33, went aboard USS Bennington with VS-33 for west pac. in 68.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1972-1975 got draft card. Joined USAF and proud to have served. Went to Germany.
Basic at Lackland in San Antonio.
USA all the way.
Thanks to all who have served.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried to join the Air Force and went to the induction center twice, but my MOS was shut out. Got drafted, basic and AIT at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. 11B MOS, Small Arms Infantry. Went to "Shake and Bake" instant NCO School at Ft. Benning and was cadre for a cycle of AIT at Fr. McClellan.
Went to Vietnam in May 1969, Served in the 1/12 Infantry, 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands as a squad leader and platoon sergeant.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
USN 1968-1972
Basic: Great Lakes (in September)Last Company in wooden barracks.
MR2
Submarine Tenders in San Diego.

Posts: 1899 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post