SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnam era Vets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam era Vets Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Enlisted USAF 67-71 (out of the jaws of the draft).

Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX (Jun-Aug Eek ).

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My Uncle was drafted into the Army and trained as a medic during the height of the Vietnam war.

His entire class figured they were all going to 'Nam but they still had to fill out assignment sheets. I'm sure they all put Vietnam last, but somehow my Uncle and one other out of 20 got stationed in W. Germany, the rest went off to Vietnam.

Sadly he passed on 25 years ago, far too young.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am considered a VN Era Vet. Enlisted spring of 74 in the USAF.
My war was cold. Literally. KI Sawyer AFB.
Never went to Vietnam. For those of you who did, thanks for your service.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined. Marines 72-76. MCRD San Diego.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
U.S. Army, 1971-1974
Got a draft notice. Called the local recruiters and signed up. Basic at Ft. Knox. AIT in Advanced Strategic Microwave Systems Repair (26V20) at Ft. Monmouth (was the Home of the Signal Corps at the time, now decommissioned). Picked up out of AIT school by Instructional Methods Division. Taught SatCom the remainder of my hitch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jointed the Army right out of high school in July 1968, basic and AIT were at Ft Dix. OCONUS tour was Ft Wainwright AK for a year an half, did my last year at Ft Lee VA.

Posts: 16003 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Drafted May 1969, took basic at Ft. Dix NJ. 63C20, E-5 hard stripe sgt. AIT was Ft. Gordon. Was stationed Long Thong for 14 months; got through two Tet offensives.

I learned real quick not to mention military service when I got back to the world in '71. Only way I seemed to be able to get hired. I'm still pissed about that treatment. Exceedingly glad that returning vets now get treated with the respect they earned.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
1. Joined the US Navy in the fall of 1968. College sucked and I knew Uncle Sam would be calling.

2 Basic and MMA school in Great Lakes, nuclear power school in Vallejo and nuclear prototype in Idaho Falls. All the school required a 6 year enlistment.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drafted Dec. 1969 basic at ft. Lenard wood, mo. Ait at ft. Knox, my. Then off to Vietnam!!

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
Drafted Dec. 1969 basic at ft. Lenard wood, mo. Ait at ft. Knox, ky. Then off to Vietnam!!

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
Boot camp in San Diego, 1973. Graduated in May and went to infantry training school at Camp Pendleton. We pulled out of Nam in June.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Joined in January 1967. Basic at Ft. Polk, LA, and AIT at Ft. McClellen, AL (11B10). Then off to Ft. Sill, OK, for OCS (2LT Field Artillery).

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2001 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USMC 1964-1968 Viet-Nam Sgt E5

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined USN on a delay program, went active 4 Feb 69. Boot camp at Orlando Fla. A school Communications Yeoman 12May 69-20 June 69, in Norfolk Va. Sea duty on USS Oklahoma City (CLG5) COMSEVENTHFLT homeported Yokosuka Japan. Next three and a half years providing Naval Gunfire Support Vietnam. Radio room and War Plans office. Made E3 1 July 72.

Posts: 219 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Enlisted one step ahead of the draft.
Basic at Ft. Dix, NJ, B-5-2
AIT at Ft. Sam Huston.
Served 1972-1997.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marine Corps 1968-1970, MCRD San Diego. Enlisted

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 823 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined the USAF in 1971 to 1974. RIF to the Ready Reserve after a tour in Vietnam and Thailand.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was ROTC, sent to OBC at Ft. Sill in Dec. 1968. Remained at Ft. Sill my entire tour (trained arty section chiefs). Never sent to the 'jolly green jungle'.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG Forum Lurker
posted Hide Post
Drafted Army Dec 7, 1967. "Joined "USMC" Jan 1968. Stayed until June 1991!

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RETTOP:
I enlisted in the USMC when I turned 17 in 1970 and received my draft notice via my squadron S-1 while serving in Vietnam in 1972. They said it was a pretty common occurrence.

Happened to me too. I told the XO that I needed to go, the army needed my typing skills. He told me to go back to my platoon or he'd shoot me himself.

Posts: 6503 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post