SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnam era Vets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam era Vets Login/Join 
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Drafted 3/71.
Basic at Ft. Knox,
AIT at Ft. Bliss, air defense-Vulcan cannon crewman.
Assigned to Bitburg and Spangdahlem Air Bases until discharge 3/73.

"Let's Go Komrade Kamola"

Posts: 1546 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I was in college with a "2S" student deferment when TET happened. May sound silly, but I thought maybe our guys in Vietnam could use some help. I went down to the draft board and volunteered. Three weeks later, late on a rainy night, that drill sergeant was yelling before the bus even rolled to a stop at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Did Basic at Ft. Lewis, then AIT/Armor at Ft. Knox, Ky. Then NCO school, promoted to Sgt. E-5, and was an assistant armor instructor at Ft. Knox for a few months before being sent to Vietnam. Early in '69 I arrived in the Central Highlands of Vietnam where I served as a Tank Commander for a year. Hit an IED/mine once and the crew and I were miraculously uninjured, and we got a new tank out of the deal. The only significant injury was my loader being shot through the leg. Fortunately missed the bone, and he was back out there with us in about three weeks.

NRA Life

Posts: 1577 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined USAF '73. Basic at Lackland, tech school at Goodfellow, San Angelo, TX.
One of the best decisions I ever made.

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U S A F 1966 - 1970

Basic Training at Amarillo AFB

The only love that money can buy is a dog

Posts: 176 | Location: Space Coast Florida | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
I joined Air Force in '73.....basic at Lackland and Tech School at Wichita Falls, Tx.

Posts: 1187 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
USAF 68-72

San Antonio

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sep 1966 - Received Draft Notice 1st day classes started at UT Knoxville. Party'ed hard rest of term & flunked most everything
Jan 10 1967 - Arrived at Ft Campbell for Basic. Watched the first units of 101st leave for Viet Nam
Mar 1967 - Infantry AIT at Ft. Ord CA. Visited Haight-Ashbury & Fillmore Auditorium
Jul 1967 - Infantry OCS at Ft Benning, GA
Jan 1968 - Arrived at Ft Bragg as newly minted 2nd LT, assigned to 18th Airborne Corp. Spent 2 years at Ft Bragg & never went to Viet Nam.
Dec 23 1969 - 10 Day Early Out, loaded up my Honda 450 on my motorcycle trailer with 2 duffel bags full of stuff & headed home.
Jan 1970 - Back at UT Knoxville with all the other vets & women with mini-skirts.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4337 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined USAF 65-69

Lackland AFB for basic.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
USAF 1969-1978, and 1986-2011. Basic at Lackland AFB

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined the Navy in 1968, would have been drafted

Posts: 272 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May '71 commissioned 2LT Armor through ROTC did not go to Ft. Knox for officer basic until Feb '72. From there it was on to the 25th in sunny Hawaii as an anti-tank platoon leader. Talk about irony. (They had just moved their colors back from Viet Nam a few months earlier.) Stayed there until I was discharged from active duty in '74.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 732 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roustabout:
My wife is from near Gelnhausen. Smallish village called Kassel. Not the big city further north.

Elk
----------------
I liked the area a lot. It's very picturesque and I'd like to return there someday for a visit.

Things have changed a LOT since then, and not all the changes for the better. At least in my opinion. Still have family and friends there and they are lamenting the changes as well.

Wife does not want to go back to visit her family and friends, either. Not sure why, but suspect it is because the country has changed so much, especially since merkel got elected and continues to grow in influence.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joined USAF June 1965. Viet Nam Dec.'67-Sept.'68.
Basic at Lackland. San Antonio Texas.

Posts: 72 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Did I join or get drafted?? Yes. 12/31/1964

Air Force because they promised me Air Rescue and Combat Medic Training. They kept their word. Smile

Lackland AFB for basic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Joined the Navy in 69. Never got anywhere near Nam.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Army brat pup that witnessed some of the "welcome home". Deployed 5 times after 9/11 and was disgusted by the knob gobbling welcome home from apologetic cocksuckers that didn't have the nuts to fight this "popular war".

Any VSM displayed I make a point to welcome this warrior home, thank them for their service, and engage in conversation. Drafted or not you did your time in the barrel and are part of the foundation that supports our current warriors.

Gentleman, a heart felt THANK YOU for your service.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current Active Duty Army.

Gentlemen, Thank you for the sacrifices you made.

IMHO my generation of veterans has been treated better because of folks like you.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enlisted, Ft. Jackson, Ft Gordon, MP. (95B)

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied to the survey. Thanks to all who served then and thanks to our current group of service men and women.

Though drafted during Vietnam I still consider my service to be life defining and changing. The GI bill put me through college and taught me self confidence and discipline. Some of my best memories and friends still.

Thanks to all who have served!

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Joined the Air Force in Dec. '67, draft notice showed up 10 days later. Basic was at Amarillo AFB, Tx. Was in SEA from Dec. 68 to Dec. 69

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post