SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fastest and slowest selling cars/trucks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastest and slowest selling cars/trucks Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, my grandfather probably wasn’t pleased with the 24% price increase between his 1933 Ford, $460, and his 1934 Ford, $570. The ‘34 did have a Mohair interior though.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Truck prices are getting ridiculous. Started shopping and an identical F-150 to my 2019 stickers for $20k more. We're talking mi-line XLT trim and not the higher end.

Wait until the new Union pay hikes kick in if you think your 1500 Ram is expensive....

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well, signed papers tonight on a 2023 Jeep Gladiator. Crazy what prices have done. Spring of 2019 when I bought my F-150, the Gladiator had just come out, sticker prices were high and dealer markups even more obscene. Sticker price on Gladiators was close to $60k with dealer markups added on. Sticker price on my F-150 was $52k and I bought it for $37k after $10k incentive and bargaining.

Fast forward to the latest truck shopping safari. A 2023 F-150 configured exactly like my 2019 stickers for $72k with a $400 incentive. Sticker on the Gladiator was $64k and after bargaining and incentives I paid $54k. Trade in on my F-150 was $32k, so basically I owned a truck for 5 years for $5k.

So tonight I paid less for a truck than I would've paid 5 years ago for the same truck and I traded in a truck that I couldn't afford to buy new today.

No the Gladiator isn't as practical of comfortable as the F-150, but it's fun and I intend to have a lot of fun with it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice V-tail, that 356B was a classic! But you're right the German cars from back then tended to be pretty basic, but very well built for their time. How times have changed....

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The 356B Cabriolet was on my [lust] list for years. Close to purchase a number of times but my meager paycheck at the time wasn't cooperative.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL I know signewt Porche prices have risen faster than our income so they keep getting farther away!

I wanted a traditional 911 since the 70's and around early 2000's (when I thought I had enough disposable income) started looking at used, air cooled ones. The prices on those I looked at just seemed out of line for what I would get so I held off and just kept looking, and every year (rather than come down) they went up more. By 2015 or so I finally gave up.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
If I had my choice I would look for a used F250 Ford Transit van (awd or 4x4). I see lots of trucks that were probably used prior for oil service trucks but probably less practical than a van. Need to start saving up.

Still the dream... Cool

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
I'd had some used cars, but the first new car that I ever bought was a brand new Porsche for $3,450.00. Not a typo, that's three thousand four hundred fifty dollars.
Wow V-Tail, what was it? The earliest new "inexpensive" Porches I can recall were 914's from the early 70's (I had become very interested in cars in 1970 at 17 years of age) and they were around $5,000, maybe a little more even.
A 1963 356B.

Looked just like the one in the photo below, white with red leather interior. No radio (I added a Blaupunkt later), no AC, manual crank windows, drum brakes (the last model with drums, the 356C introduced disks), the heater was a joke, didn't even have seat belts -- they were not standard in 1963, but I had the dealer install them before I took the car.

One of my favorite Jay Leno videos. Omg, the simplicity of it all.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wanted a traditional 911 since the 70's
My second Porsche was a 1972 911T, bought from Porsche dealer in the Chicago area, $7,200, one year old with about 8,000 miles on it. Had it for about six months before it was stolen. Keep an eye out for VIN 9111110660, y'all -- it's mine!

Looked pretty much like this one (except I think I remember the fuel filler being on the starboard side):

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wanted a traditional 911 since the 70's
My second Porsche was a 1972 911T, bought from Porsche dealer in the Chicago area, $7,200, one year old with about 8,000 miles on it. Had it for about six months before it was stolen. Keep an eye out for VIN 9111110660, y'all -- it's mine!

Looked pretty much like this one (except I think I remember the fuel filler being on the starboard side):

My first Porsche was a 72 911T as well. Man, what awesome times I had with that car. Mine was an orangish color. The filler cap on the starboard side you are referring to was actually an oil filler, it was only available on the 72's as they deleted it in 73 due to people putting gas in the oil line.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I get a couple of emails a month from the local Toyota dealer wanting me to trade in my truck, a 10 year old Tundra with <70K miles on it.

Tempting, but even if they gave me what I paid for it 10 years ago, I'd have to put another $30K with it to replace it.

Add to that the insulting interest rates and the fact the Toyota (AFAIK) doesn't offer a V8 Tundra any more and IT AIN'T HAPPENING, SCOOTER!

It's still solid, nicely broken in, and I can make a LOT of repairs for the monthly payment on a new one.

Yep - the Tundra went turbo/hybrid in 2022. The Sequoia went in 2023...which is why I replaced my 2005 with a 2022. Properly maintained I expect that V8 to run pretty much forever.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

The ‘34 did have a Mohair interior
You don't see many of those in the current market. The Mo is practically extinct, I think it's illegal to harvest the hair.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to car edge, 500 under invoice on 2024 mazda's through the end of the year. 1000 off 2023

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The ‘34 did have a Mohair interior
You don't see many of those in the current market. The Mo is practically extinct, I think it's illegal to harvest the hair.

Well, there’ll be no Mo money to be made from them then. I wonder if Curlyhair would be an acceptable substitute.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Nice ride V tail. My father brought a 1955 or ‘56 356B cabriolet back from Germany. He was one of the founders of the PCA.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:

Nice ride V tail. My father brought a 1955 or ‘56 356B cabriolet back from Germany. He was one of the founders of the PCA.
I'm pretty sure that the 356B was produced from 1959 to 1963.

Early 1955 would have been a 356, without the 'B' suffix. Late 1955 to 1959 would have been a 356A.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I was driving a VW Beetle and stopped behind the vehicle in the picture below. I wanted to pull up next to him and ask if he had any Grey Poupon, but he went a different direction. Anyway, what is it?:

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was driving a VW Beetle and stopped behind the vehicle in the picture below. <snip> what is it?
Looks like a mid / late 1950's 356A coupe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Just last week, I was chatting with my neighbour who's in the car sales business. He was telling me how the high-end truck models are just sitting on lots these days. He specifically mentioned the Ram 2500 and its 460-day supply. It's wild because those trucks used to be so popular around here. Seems like everyone's tightening their belts and opting for more affordable, fuel-efficient cars.

Personally, I went the practical route too. I recently got a Corolla Hybrid – great on gas and perfect for my daily commute. For weekend trips, I still need something to haul my camping gear. Yet, it didn't take long for me to find an awesome trailer. It's been a lifesaver for those family camping trips. It just goes to show, the right equipment can make all the difference, even if your day-to-day ride is something as sensible as a Corolla.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rcpylon,

Posts: 9 | Location: MS, USA | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think interest in mid-size and lighter duty 1/2 ton trucks has been growing at the expense of heavy duty versions. One reason for the decline is initial cost the other is the overall size and ongoing operating costs. A lot of people are starting to realize that a truck oversized for their needs isn't better, in most ways it's worse.