SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fastest and slowest selling cars/trucks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastest and slowest selling cars/trucks Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I found this 15 minute discussion interesting. They discuss what are the slowest selling vehicles such as the $80,000 Ram 2500 which currently has a 460 day supply! The $60,000 Ram 1500 with over 300 day supply isn't selling well either. Ideally dealers like to see under a 90 day supply. Most of the slowest sellers are from Stellantis Dodge, Ram, Jeep, but others as well. Generally customers seem to be avoiding the higher priced vehicles.

Some of fastest sellers are Kia Cardinal, $26K Corolla Hybrid, $40K GMC Canyon. They list the 10 slowest and 10 fastest selling, with average transaction price, amount sold over the last 45 days and current inventory, with which they can extrapolate to days needed to sell current inventory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDv6CYtn0xc&t=372s

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That was interesting. I liked when the older gentleman said the Grand Wagoneer was the answer to the question nobody asked.

Is ATP, average transaction price, this same as OTD, out the door? I’m a little shocked at the ATPs’ of Civics, Corollas, and Priuses and how well they are selling. I thought Accords and Camrys were in that price range.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I'd like a full size truck but who in the hell has that kind of money sitting around. Doesn't matter which brand, every single one is over $60K with most being closer to 70-75.

Toyota generally can't keep vehicles on their lots long enough to make deals with them but that's because (most^ see above) are priced reasonably and the value for $ is high, especially compared to some brands that are junked out in a few years. After the UAW bullshit, some of these manufacturers are gonna be in for an even bigger list of slow selling garbage.

Trapper, I think some of the ATP stuff has to do with the region (CA car costs more than AL car) and which trim levels are being bought the most. Even though dealers like to advertise a $30K Camry, they simply don't exist (merely a ploy to get you to the dealer). Most are in the 35-40K range due to all the doodads that come packaged and equipped on the higher trims. Reality now is the cheapest econobox being in the mid-high 20's, $35K sedan's, 40K Cross over SUV's, 45-50K SUV, 70K+ for Trucks and large/luxury SUV's.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would assume ATP is not "out the door" price. OTD is how much you would write the check for and typically includes sales tax, title, and license plate, all of which can vary quite a lot by State.

I would think ATP is the amount based on what dealers ask for the vehicle including their various "fees", "prep", etc., minus any discount and rebate.
But before adding taxes etc.

First thing I thought when seeing that there is almost a year supply of Ram 1500 trucks, and over a year of Ram 3500's, out there, and the fact auto workers are going back to work, is there'll almost have to be some big incentives coming in order to move them. I recall a friend looking at buying a new truck back in (I believe 2003-4). He ended up finding a fancy Ram 1500 with leather, 20" wheels, pig of a V8, that listed for right at $40,000 but after factory incentives and dealer discount he got it for $29,000, which was over 25% off! We haven't seen that kind of discount for a while but getting a 2023 $60,000 Ram for 25% off would make it $45,000 which isn't too bad. Heck I paid almost $40K for a 2023 Ridgeline last year.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If ATP doesn’t include taxes, then those vehicles are even more expensive than those numbers they show.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought a Kia Telluride and they're selling them within a week of getting to the dealership. We had a hard time finding one. These are priced from the high $30ks to the mid $50Ks.
I'd like to buy a new truck but the discounts they have now just aren't enough to make up for the ridiculous amounts that they're asking.
Then, there's the outrageous interest rates to along with it all. 7% on a $60k truck is far beyond what I'm willing to pay.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I get a couple of emails a month from the local Toyota dealer wanting me to trade in my truck, a 10 year old Tundra with <70K miles on it.

Tempting, but even if they gave me what I paid for it 10 years ago, I'd have to put another $30K with it to replace it.

Add to that the insulting interest rates and the fact the Toyota (AFAIK) doesn't offer a V8 Tundra any more and IT AIN'T HAPPENING, SCOOTER!

It's still solid, nicely broken in, and I can make a LOT of repairs for the monthly payment on a new one.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
If ATP doesn’t include taxes, then those vehicles are even more expensive than those numbers they show.

I'm not entirely sure maybe it does? But if so the prices wouldn't be accurate anywhere because of all the variables, ATP would be less in some States or higher in others simply because of the different tax and registration each State charges. Personally I would prefer that sale prices included any and all fees, freight, basically everything except what your own State's DMV charges which could be anywhere from 0-10%, plus a plate and registration which could be anywhere from almost nothing to $1,000 or more per year.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t disagreeing that ATP doesn’t include taxes and such. My comment was more “Holy Shit!, $27k plus tax for a Civic?!?!”, but it didn’t come across that way. Big Grin

I’m hoping the big discounts are coming.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
trapper you're right, it illustrates how expensive vehicles have become (or how worthless our dollar has become). I recall when Civics were under $10K, later when many were still under $20K up to 6-8 years ago. When I shopped them in 2019 they were around $23K+

In 2019 my Corolla HB SE listed for just over $20K but after discounts I paid a bit under $19K for it in MD, so I paid WV 6% tax back here. 5 years later (same generation HB) it's $25,164 with auto transmission which is the only one offered. Mine was manual with auto being a $900 more, but still with auto it went from $21K to over $25K in 4-5 years.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Truck prices are getting ridiculous. Started shopping and an identical F-150 to my 2019 stickers for $20k more. We're talking mi-line XLT trim and not the higher end.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the prices are completely insane. I wonder how much longer they can stay this way.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yeah if I were in the market now for a full size 1/2 ton truck I'd figure on spending $60K. The good news as I mentioned is I "believe" we'll start seeing big incentives to move them, especially Rams., which'll put them more like $50,000.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Something had to give on trucks.

I'm still driving my 2016 truck even though I had intended to replace it when the 2021s came out (i.e. 2Q20). There was no inventory so I postponed until inventory returned. However, by the time inventory returned the prices had become stupid.

My truck has been extremely reliable and has a good reputation for continuing to be reliable. I like to detail my vehicles so it looks good inside and out, and like most mechanical engineers I'm meticulous on maintenance. Therefore, over Thanksgiving vacation I'm planning to apply a 5 year ceramic coating on my truck and driving it for another 4 or 5 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I've heard people talk about ceramic coating but haven't really looked into it. I'll likely detail mine with NuFinish next warm break we have. Probably more important here will be to have the underneath sprayed with Fluid film.
I'm glad I bought my 2023 Ridgeline last November and I think it'll last me for years. Oil was changed this Spring at 3,500 miles with synthetic 5W-30, next will be around 9,000 miles then at 15K and every multiple of 5,000.

posted Hide Post
2007 Camry LE $ 9000.00 at local dealer
THIS BEAUTIFUL Magnetic Gray Metallic Toyota Camry LE ONLY HAS ** 122994 MILES** AND MORE! FULLY SERVICED and READY TO DRIVE! CALL BECK and SAVE…(more)
Mileage 122,994
Trim LE
Stock # 37902-1
VIN 4T1BE46K27U170725
Exterior Color Magnetic Gray Metallic
Interior Color Ash
Drivetrain FWD

Internet price, better hurry

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

I recall when Civics were under $10K
I'd had some used cars, but the first new car that I ever bought was a brand new Porsche for $3,450.00. Not a typo, that's three thousand four hundred fifty dollars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I should be out a ways yet on the idea of a new vehicle. I ended up with a 2010 Focus with a barter, may lend it to a relative, close relative.

I’ve been a little more careful with maintenance, working on longevity. Part of that is bleeding over to my sister. Next week I’ll take her $500 estimate on the brake job to zero. She usually has plenty of food & some strong IPA’s anyway. Yes, I just ordered parts from Rock Auto.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'd had some used cars, but the first new car that I ever bought was a brand new Porsche for $3,450.00. Not a typo, that's three thousand four hundred fifty dollars.

Wow V-Tail, what was it? The earliest new "inexpensive" Porches I can recall were 914's from the early 70's (I had become very interested in cars in 1970 at 17 years of age) and they were around $5,000, maybe a little more even.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Wow V-Tail, what was it? The earliest new "inexpensive" Porches I can recall were 914's from the early 70's (I had become very interested in cars in 1970 at 17 years of age) and they were around $5,000, maybe a little more even.
A 1963 356B.

Looked just like the one in the photo below, white with red leather interior. No radio (I added a Blaupunkt later), no AC, manual crank windows, drum brakes (the last model with drums, the 356C introduced disks), the heater was a joke, didn't even have seat belts -- they were not standard in 1963, but I had the dealer install them before I took the car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post