Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
My question is this-

If cops are not really qualified to understand or comprehend this, why do we continue to set them up for failure by sending them to deal with it on a day to day basis?

Who do you think we should send instead of cops?

Doctors? Social workers?

The answer for some will be predictable cop bashing. I get that. But, if there truly an answer, I’d say 100 years of what we have been is taking an aspirin for cancer.

I’m hoping that this can be discussed without the usual sniping and personality conflicts. It is a sincere question.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Not a "Different guy", but the same guy who at the time was acting differently (than when you interacted with him) because he was under the influence of the drug(s) when he was shot.

No, the guy who got shot is Brandon, the other guy ya'll are conflating him with is named Greg. Two different guys, full stop. Like, they were never physically the same guy ever, came out of different vaginas at different points in time, never cohabitated the same physical space in this plane of existence kinda different.

I know lots of people who used to do a lot of drugs who don't do any drugs anymore. Some of them have the same name, lots of them were named different things.

quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Smudge ... I believed it happened. Was curious about the caliber of the round that hit him in the chest. Chatted with a friend that is still working for Seattle ... looked up info going back to 2010 (there are officer involved shooting in Seattle, but not lots) and nothing found that fits this incident. It has happened where someone thought it was Seattle but was actually another agency in the area, or in the city of Seattle such was WSP or King County.

Couldn't tell you. He said it was UW, but that covers some turf. Whether he meant the actual school, or a clinic, I didn't ask.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If this is truly a medical problem, can’t we as a society do something different instead of doing the same thing expecting a different result?

Great question, maybe worth a whole other thread. We can't even get recovered addicts to agree on effective treatment, and given that it's only been A Thing in human history to recover from alcohol or drug addiction in the last 80 years or so, I'd say it's still percolating. Those who refuse to get spiritual push SMART Recovery, some people say NA is the way, then some people graduate from decades of NA to AA (the OG since we're acronyming) and say it's the real deal. I couldn't tell you. I do know when people break the law, especially violently, police show up. That's kind of a "no shit" statement, but there it is. People in active addiction are mostly total shitbags, myself included, and we do some really evil shit. I'm not going to say the police shouldn't handle that. What I will say is asking for opinions on what's going on in a drug addict's brain from a bunch of cops is oddly specific and at the very least, isn't going to give a complete picture. I hope that seems fair enough.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I work with addicts on almost a daily basis. If I understand the OP's question, I would say people who huff are probably at the highest risk. Although, I see it in all drugs including alcohol and "weed" too.

Posts: 12474 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope that seems fair enough.

It is fair.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
I do not know if this is fact or hearsay whether this guy was capped by Seattle Police or not ... but do know that whoever the officer is from whatever agency missed the X ring.

I believe him. When you hear bullshit from another addict, it's easy to pick up on. Anyway, after much prompting from a group of us one day, he sheepishly showed us the scar. It was right in the center of his chest. I'm not asking you to believe this, but I do.

quote:
Smart guy and well-spoken ? Kinda a contradiction especially when at the muzzle end of a weapon that was being fired.

Different guy.

Not a "Different guy", but the same guy who at the time was acting differently (than when you interacted with him) because he was under the influence of the drug(s) when he was shot.

FWIW: I'm not an MD, but as a LEO I received a lot of training from MDs in order to get expertise as a court certified expert in persons under the influence of narcotics. There are both short/immediate effects of narcotics usage and long term effects, both of which vary dependent upon what's being used, it's quantity and quality and the specifics relating to the individual involved. Some people are more susceptible to becoming physically addicted than others and this may have something to do with genetic background, including whether or not one or both parents were users at the time of conception.

In any case, the vast majority of people can become physically addicted if they receive the right dosage of narcotics in sufficient quantities over a set period of time. The brain is changed and increased levels of tolerance can cause physical feelings of pain, which the user has no control of, for at least a certain period of time. That said, it's very rare for those directly under the influence NOT to know what it is they are doing or being so intoxicated that they don't understand the difference between right and wrong to such a degree that they can't be held legally responsible for their acts.

People can recover from addiction, but they have to WANT TO RECOVER and sometimes (frequently) the incentive is provided by legal ramifications, as well as support from family, friends and employers. I've lost a brother due to drug abuse and have other family members that suffered through addiction, but recovered. A good LEO friend became addicted to opiates after being over-prescribed medication for a back injury, and if you're unfamiliar with the story behind OxyContin, Perdue Pharma, and the Sackler family, I'd strongly recommend watching the mini-series "Dopesick" on Hulu. My friend's situation was way too common and had nothing to do with "recreational" use of drugs. In any case, there is help to be had, but no guarantees.

There is no "magic pill" to cure addiction or course of treatment that doesn't rely upon great efforts on the part of the addicted person. In CA, "decriminalization" of narcotics possession and personal use has eliminated much of the incentive for addicts to clean up and rehabilitation "Mills" are a cash cow. Addicts can and do walk away from these facilities (without consequences) far more than they seriously engage in treatment and overdose deaths (like addiction associated homelessness) are at record levels. Maybe someday big pharma will develop a "cure" for addiction that won't require the active participation of those addicted in order to be straight, but I doubt it. Even IF the physiological challenges to addiction are overcome, there's sociological issues (personal relationships between drug abusers) that will always need to be dealt with.

IMHO: Prevention of "recreational use" has been downplayed for far too long and the anti-social consequences ignored because there's big money in drug sales (including alcohol and tobacco). When the media makes voluntary intoxication part of a funny narrative, kids buy into it (literally as well as figuratively). This in turn leads to social acceptance of using chemicals to deal with everyday stresses of life. For far too many, there is a "slippery slope" and (at least in CA and similar states) seeing cocaine, meth, and heroin possessed and used without fear of legal consequences, has proven extremely destructive of the community.

Like "pulicords" ... I too am a long time LEO with Seattle ( now retired over five years). Agree, we are not mental health professionals but have received training, no matter how little in some minds, on how to deal with our folks on the street.

In 2003, after 25 years on the department, I was enticed to come back to the street sharing my experience to the younger officers. Subsequently I has picked with another officer with my same time on the department to walk a foot beat on Capitol Hill in Seattle. A foot beat with more than its share of mentally ill, homeless and drug addicts. One can only imagine without walking in our shoes.

My partner and I did the best we could do. One day, a year before I was to retire ... I received the following email. Anne was a ball of fire, a pain in the ass and a frequent flyer going to jail. Here is the email she sent me ... one that made my day and career worth while :

Officer xxxx
Seattle Police Department
East Precinct Community Police Team
1519 12th Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98122

Desk phone: 206-684-xxxx
Email: xxxx@seattle.gov

"Promise small, deliver big"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 2:54 PM
To: xxxx
Subject: Thank you

And yet one more incident has occurred reminding me why I don't care for police officers. I was on the side of 405 changing a popped tire this morning with my 3 children in the car when an officer pulled over. Instead of offering to help me he proceeded to accuse me and question me, then stand there and watch. This was a minor incident compared to some from the past, but everytime that happens I think of you. Every time I want to go off about how no cop has ever done anything for me I am forced to think of you. You might not remember what you did for me (a mere sandwich) but you probably do remember my name. It is Anne xxxx. Ring a bell? More than 10 years ago I was homeless in capital hill doing drugs and causing disturbances wherever I went. But you Sir, you and your partner always treated me like a person. And I just wanted to thank you today for being the only reason I believe good cops exist. I have been clean from narcotics for almost 11 years and free from alcohol for 2.5 years. My son is 10 years old, and my daughters are 8 and 1. I work full time 2 jobs and take care of them without any help. After I had changed my tire all by myself while this cop watched, my son asked me why cops don't help and what does serve and protect really mean? I had no answer for him. Only you came to mind Sir. So I wanted to let you know that, and to say thank you for being my only image of Serve and Protect today.

The "sandwich" was one day on my foot beat I was leaving the QFC Broadway deli where they made sandwiches of us that were super thick with meat and veggies. So big that I could only eat one half. As my partner and walk out onto the street ... I saw Anne sitting on the sidewalk panhandling for her next fix.. through the many confrontations, I paused and offered Anne half of my sandwich that I knew I could not finish eating on my foot beat. Anne quietly took my half sandwich and I never thought about it again until the day she sent the above email.

What is a mental health professional ... ? Is is a title, degree, certificate ? I don't know.
Can it be experience with first hand experience ? Again, I don't know.

What I do know, is that the small things I have done have gone a long way with helping others with their problems.

Just sharing.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Fwiw, pulicords, I want to give a detailed reply to your post. It is thoughtful, and it deserves a similar effort in response. It's been a super busy afternoon and evening and I don't want my irreverent response earlier to be the only thing you get out of me.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Smudge ... thank you for your recent phone call. I enjoying chatting with you. This is a great thread with thoughtful responses. As in our phone conversation, there is lots more to be said than what is being shared here.

Thank you for staying in touch.

Miss you sir.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I do know, is that the small things I have done have gone a long way with helping others with their problems.

It isn’t always easy, but it amazing how much treating everyone with respect, regardless of their situation, can do.

Posts: 6924 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post