SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, gravity brings them down.

Yes of course, but it has a lot of help. Without weathering, they'd be there a lot longer.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
According to Fox News, http://video.foxnews.com/v/6041568807001 they blasted it to smithereens....

Well that was anti-climactic. Whoever did the math (and the drilling) on the explosives did a hell of a job using "just enough" and not a pinch more. Eek

Yup. They should talk to the Whale Shooters. Those guys know how to blow stuff up spectacularly. If you are going to have a media event, have a MEDIA EVENT!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
That's how they get their rocks off on Colorado.

It's a hard rain gonna fall. - Bob Dylan

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I got a freaky ole lady name a cocaine Katy
Who embroideries on my jeans
I got my poor ole grey haired daddy
Drivin' my limousine
Now it's all designed to blow our minds
But our minds won't really be blown
Like the blow that'll gitcha when you get your picture
On the cover of the Rollin' Stone

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Reminds me of when Senaca Rock fell in WV many years ago

I had stood on top of it a week prior

Well Damn. That's creepy right there. Glad you're still with us.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
"drilling and blasting?" Why don't they just shoot it with a 10mm, and sweep up the gravel?

Exactly. Since 10mm can tear Superman a new asshole (a Parabellum original IIRC) then it should work fine on this little rock.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
They had to build a road to blast it

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“A boulder the size of a house that crashed onto a southwestern Colorado state highway last month will stay put.

State officials plan to reroute the highway around it - saving taxpayers money and possibly creating a tourist attraction.

Democratic Gov Jared Polis said Tuesday that Colorado will save about $200,000 by not blasting the 4,250-ton boulder…”

https://mol.im/a/7108963

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by operator81:
I blame legal weed for getting the road stoned.

Oh, that's good. Cool

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post