SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway Login/Join 
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Gives a whole new meaning to those road signs, don’t it?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That's a big rock.

Eek We gonna need a bigger slingshot. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We live in the Zion N.P. area, rockfalls are pretty common. A couple of years ago a rock fell and crushed a home, killing the husband and wife!
The town was Rockville.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I recall a rock-slide from a few years back that occurred in Italy.
Drone video footage below.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of when Senaca Rock fell in WV many years ago

I had stood on top of it a week prior

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Time and the elements will bring down the largest mountains. Do a search for "massive landslide" on youtube. There are some truly humbling vids that make that pebble seem insignificant.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"Watch For Falling Rock" and "Watch For Fallen Rock." I've seen both signs and could not discern why one one location might get one phrase over the other. Just something I've always thought about since my first memories camping in the Adirondacks. In this case, it's kinda hard not to miss that fallen rock!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That's a big rock.

Que the Kingbees

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Leave it. Looks like it's out of the road way. Just fix the road.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Leave it. Looks like it's out of the road way. Just fix the road.

If they can, that is likely what will happen. in Palisade (Colorado wine country) you can see a number of spots where big rocks have fallen down the Bookcliffs and into the valley and they just leave them there. I tried to find a picture but couldnt find mine from the last trip.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Time and the elements will bring down the largest mountains.

No, gravity brings them down.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
"drilling and blasting?" Why don't they just shoot it with a 10mm, and sweep up the gravel?

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
"drilling and blasting?" Why don't they just shoot it with a 10mm, and sweep up the gravel?

One must consider over penetration.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Why don't they just shoot it with a 10mm, and sweep up the gravel?

What gravel? Confused

There might be gravel left if they used explosives, but with a 10mm? Nah. Just granite vapor.

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
According to Fox News, http://video.foxnews.com/v/6041568807001 they blasted it to smithereens....

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's a sign

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think the one you see get sploded is the "smaller" boulder.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
According to Fox News, http://video.foxnews.com/v/6041568807001 they blasted it to smithereens....

Well that was anti-climactic. Whoever did the math (and the drilling) on the explosives did a hell of a job using "just enough" and not a pinch more. Eek

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Rock on.
Now rock off.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post