SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long does a water heater last these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does a water heater last these days? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
July 2020 our 18yr old water heater failed/ would not stay lit. Called a professional plumber who suggested either rebuilding or replacing the burner system but would not guarantee the rebuild would hold up or a total replacement with a new water heater. Due to the age decieded to go the new replacement route ending up with the Rheem Professional 50 gal and just 2 weeks ago it failed by not staying lit even after having made several trips into the attic to get the pilot light to re-light. That is correct a new heater just a couple days shy of 1 year old failed but warranty did send out a new gas control valve assy. The Command Sgt Major of the War Department (wife) was not a happy camper with no hot water for a week and 2 plumber service call bills in 1 weeks time. Warranty covers only parts but not any labor cost. And to put icing on the cake the orginal failure happening on a Saturday morning as well as the warranty parts coming late Friday afternoon waited till Monday morning to call plumber so as not to incur weekend/overtime hour rates..................................... drill sgt.

Pretty common when there's venting issues.
I would make damn sure the unit is vented correctly and has adequite combustion air.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the house I just bought needs a new one so I’ll go with 15 years. Lol. Actually the bottom is rusting out so I think it’s the sacrificial anode issue perhaps.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but it got me thinking about mine.... I have a Bradford White LP 48 gallon and I just looked up the serial number on their website. It was manufactured in June of 2002 and we've been in the house for 5 years now and I've had no kind of professional service/inspection done on it. Do you guys think it would be wise to have someone come check it out? Check the rods, etc?

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
…..we've been in the house for 5 years now and I've had no kind of professional service/inspection done on it. Do you guys think it would be wise to have someone come check it out? Check the rods, etc?

To check the anode you will need a large human to physically bear hug the water heater while you use a cheater pipe on a socket (11/16)wrench to break it initially, or use a impact driver if you are alone. The anode is screwed into the top of the tank, sometimes under a small cover…it’s s hex head (like a giant nut) sometimes they have a welded bump on them-it’s important to show what’s in the anode itself. You can remove it and a rod about 1/2” thick should be attached…and they usually goes down into the tank to end about six inches above the bottom of the tank.

Don’t use pipe dope or Teflon tape when putting the new one in. There has to be a connection between the rod and the tank.

Here’s a good explanation https://www.plumbingsupply.com...ater-anode-rods.html

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Thank you for that, Mike!

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
My last one only lasted about 3 years.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
…..we've been in the house for 5 years now and I've had no kind of professional service/inspection done on it. Do you guys think it would be wise to have someone come check it out? Check the rods, etc?

To check the anode you will need a large human to physically bear hug the water heater while you use a cheater pipe on a socket (11/16)wrench to break it initially, or use a impact driver if you are alone. The anode is screwed into the top of the tank, sometimes under a small cover…it’s s hex head (like a giant nut) sometimes they have a welded bump on them-it’s important to show what’s in the anode itself. You can remove it and a rod about 1/2” thick should be attached…and they usually goes down into the tank to end about six inches above the bottom of the tank.

Don’t use pipe dope or Teflon tape when putting the new one in. There has to be a connection between the rod and the tank.

Since he has a Bradford White, it's likely under/tied to the hot water outlet nipple.

And I personally wouldn't have anyone touch it.
If it ain't broken don't fix it....

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 19th year with my current water heater. I'm starting to worry about it as getting a plumber in this town is worse than having a tooth pulled.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sears heater about 21 years now.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Mike and Excam

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mild update: plumber came yesterday... confirmed it's leaking and shouldn't be, given its youth.

Looks like today will be new water heater day at Casa de vthoky, plus some help from our plumber friends toward a warranty claim.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One of the amazing things about American Manufacturing (what's left of it) is just look at the warranty of a product and add a year or two (25%) and you have a pretty good idea of how long it will last.

"planned obsolescence"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours has lasted more than 15 years.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, friends, there's a new Bradford White sitting in the closet now.
And I'll be sending Rheem a letter expressing my dissatisfaction with a barely-five-year water heater life.

God bless America.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
One of the amazing things about American Manufacturing…."

Rheem water heaters are made in Mexico.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post