SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long does a water heater last these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does a water heater last these days? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
For two days now, I've been chasing a water leak. The short, filtered version is that I tore into the a/c, thinking the problem was there. It wasn't. I dug around the half-bath, thinking a supply line was leaking. It isn't. I stuck my hand up the (gas) fireplace flue, wondering if rain was coming in. It's not. I finally stuffed a USB camera in behind the water heater... I can see the it dripping. At least I know where to put a pan now!

Having put the a/c housing back together, put the front panel back on the fireplace, and sopped up the puddle for about the fiftieth time, I finally got a minute to look at old Home Depot statements. I bought this water heater in late May, 2016.

Five years. Is that all we get out of an appliance these days? This wasn't some bobo bargain-basement thing, it's a Rheem Performance. As I look at Home Depot's site now, I see a comparable. The description says, "Rheem Performance 50 Gal. Tall 6 year 38,000 BTU Natural Gas Tank Water Heater." 6 year ?? That's discouraging, if nothing else. And the one I have barely made it past five.

Grrr.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect ten to fifteen years. I would not buy from any big box stores. I had a local plumber install two A O Smith water heaters and so far so good. We have a good number of plumbers here on SF and you should get some replies.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Average in our area is about 12 years. Once I put a thermocouple on a 52 year old AO Smith water heater and it kept on keeping on Eek

Right now, from my experience with the new designs, Bradford-White seems to be the most reliable.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
July 2010 I had what appeared to be the original builder grade water heater replaced, house was built in 1994. It still functioned but would run out of hot water pretty quickly.

At that time our furnace was giving us some problems. As there were a bunch of tax credits going on at that time we upgraded to a 95% furnace, new A/C and a new heater.

Bradford White, 50 gallon high efficiency with power vent. Ten year warranty.

Lasted one month almost to the day of installation, started leaking. Since no warranty, went with a Rheem from Home Depot.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ever change the anode rod? The anode rod or (sacrificial rod) keeps the minerals from attacking the tank. If you get a new water heater make sure to keep a check on it. When the anode rod gets dissolved then the tank gets attacked.

https://www.empirestateplumbin...an-anode-rod-do.html

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ten years on average is what you should expect from anything that comes from a big box store.

And that’s if you keep up with the maintenance, checking the emergency valve, and the anode…..depending on plumbing also..it could be damaged by electrical issues (like if you pipes are the ground in the home and something is shorted)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most all water heaters have a standard 6 yr tank warranty.
I'd be calling Rheem to see if they'll take care of it.

As far as a timeline, 3-30 yrs depending on use, water, quality, etc...

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mine is now 19 years old and going strong.

It's the original one from when this house was built.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Does a water softener help to increase the service life of a water heater?

We installed a softener when we built this place 14 years ago. Several of the neighbors have ave already replaced leaking water heaters and they did not have a water softener.

We are in the northwest Houston area and have hard water.

We are budgeted for replacement but have no issues with running out of hot water or any leaks.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
20 years on a nothing special Rheem. Our water is pretty good though.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm on a well and no chlorine and probably lower water pressure than a public system. Mine is a '06 model and I have my fingers crossed.

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not much longer than the warranty period. The one we replaced last year was 40+ years old and still producing scalding hot water, it had just finally rusted out to the point of leaking on the basement floor.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
In Las Vegas my experience has been five to seven years.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A better question is "how long past the warranty did your water heater last?" The reason I say that is warranty length is variable and they're designed to last a tad beyond warranty at an unspecified water quality (pretty nasty though). For example, HD sells 6-year, 9-year, and 12-year water heaters.

For example, when I lived in Calgary in a place with a 6-year warranty water heater it started putting out nasty, brown water at the 6 year old point. It didn't rust all the way through, but the water looked like it came out of a swamp as the internal liner had failed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I replaced my hot water heater several months ago. It was a 17 year old A.O. Smith, but ran perfectly. Lowes had the same exact one (but with all the energy advancements since then) on a really good sale. Plus, my neighbor insisted he help me install it. He's a retired plumber.

How do you pass up a deal like that?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
A better question is "how long past the warranty did your water heater last?" The reason I say that is warranty length is variable and they're designed to last a tad beyond warranty at an unspecified water quality (pretty nasty though). For example, HD sells 6-year, 9-year, and 12-year water heaters.

That's a darned good question, and might be something I kick myself about. Why? Because when I pulled the owner's manual from the nice plastic package on the side of the heater yesterday, guess what dropped out? Yeah... the warranty card. (D'oh!)

I can track the purchase back to my May 2016 Home Depot statement, but so far I haven't found the receipt. I'm not sure where that nasty rabbit hole is going to lead.

Having said that....
Wcb 6092 asked about my changing the anode rod (thank you for the link). Quick answer: I haven't. Didn't know I had to, really. Maybe that has to do with my not having read the manual after it was installed. That's on me, I suppose.

I think the one that this one replaced was original to the house. That would have made it about 20 years old, my having been here for the last ten of its life. Fifteen to 20 years sounds reasonable for a water heater (as konata mentioned). I'm a little peeved about just getting five out of this one.

For the record, I'm on town water... no well, no water softener, nothing fancy.

Looks like my local Lowes has the A.O. Smith line, in stock even -- how about that!

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

For example, when I lived in Calgary in a place with a 6-year warranty water heater it started putting out nasty, brown water at the 6 year old point. It didn't rust all the way through, but the water looked like it came out of a swamp as the internal liner had failed.

Bradford White 6 yr and 10 yr models are exactly the same.

I do mean EXACTLY the same, as the installer ADDS the 10 yr warranty sticker to the unit.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most 12 year warranty water heaters come with 2 anode rods. They know most homeowners don't even know what an anode rod is, and they are rarely replaced. That is why 2 anodes rods are installed on the 12 year warranty models, so the tank will last at least 12 years.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
July 2020 our 18yr old water heater failed/ would not stay lit. Called a professional plumber who suggested either rebuilding or replacing the burner system but would not guarantee the rebuild would hold up or a total replacement with a new water heater. Due to the age decieded to go the new replacement route ending up with the Rheem Professional 50 gal and just 2 weeks ago it failed by not staying lit even after having made several trips into the attic to get the pilot light to re-light. That is correct a new heater just a couple days shy of 1 year old failed but warranty did send out a new gas control valve assy. The Command Sgt Major of the War Department (wife) was not a happy camper with no hot water for a week and 2 plumber service call bills in 1 weeks time. Warranty covers only parts but not any labor cost. And to put icing on the cake the orginal failure happening on a Saturday morning as well as the warranty parts coming late Friday afternoon waited till Monday morning to call plumber so as not to incur weekend/overtime hour rates..................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A plumber service I trust said to keep our 20 year old water heater as long as it works because the new ones last the limit of the warranty. For extra safety they put a drain bin under it with a hose to the sump pump.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post