SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My friend is always in a relationship disaster...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friend is always in a relationship disaster... Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I do know the last three have been nurses, and he does not work in the health care industry.

Well... there's a few clues right there.

Right? I bet they are all single moms too.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

(I am a lawyer and handle divorces. I see a lot of relationships that have soured. With serial divorces, this is often the pattern.)

I shudder to think of what you have seen come in and out of your doors. Poor bastards all of them.
You never really know a woman until you meet her in family court.

Many men are the same. Gender is no predictor of bad behavior.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
There are many,many people who cannot live unless there is upheaval of one kind or another in their life regardless of what direction it comes from. Spouse, kids, relative, coworker the drama must be ongoing and continuous.

I’ve known a few people like this too.

I particularly recall a woman I worked with. Her life was a ongoing soap opera. Every week it was a new drama involving her directly, or her getting involved in someone else’s life.

It was entertaining to listen to occasionally, but I kept my distance.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like my older brother many years ago.

Our father told him that every time he got an erection, he thought he was in love.

My brother did not listen. He was married and divorced 3 times as well as a few live-ins before he turned 30.

He has been married to number 4 now for about 20 years.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Is he a country music guy? They go through some women...
Been watching the Nashville TV series, I'd scoop up the broken and used ones!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8393 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve always believed everyone is entitled to a “starter marriage”. You learn, you split, you can blame the other person.

You start having multiple divorces, you need to be pointing the finger at the person you see in the mirror.

You can’t be happy married if you can’t be happy alone.

One request, can we say he “chooses poorly” from now on? I keep reading bad/broken “picker” as ”pecker”Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^ agreed.
Both sides generally ignore the need to do their due diligence for such an important decision and share at least some of the blame.
Although often not in equal proportions, it takes two to tango.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cluster B attachment disorder. Borderline or Narcissist, or a mixture of both.

The pattern is meet a new person, idealize them, think they are everything and a soulmate. After a little time, when the new person does not live up to the idealization, they start devaluing the person and finding everything wrong, belittling, withholding affection, giving the silent treatment, then "splitting", which is going back and forth between love and hate, until eventually they completely devalue and discard the person.

Such disorders are caused by lack of attachment to the primary caregiver when very young, creating a big hole that can never be filled. They want to fill it so much they go through the above cycle, but because no adult can provide the parental love that was not given in the first place, the relationships almost always fail.

Now, either he is one of these, OR is a codependent (because his parent was a Cluster B) and addicted to the attention and "love" that cluster B's provide in the initial phase of idealization.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

^^^ agreed.
Both sides generally ignore the need to do their due diligence for such an important decision and share at least some of the blame.
Although often not in equal proportions, it takes two to tango.

The joke among family lawyers is that "tens do not marry twos."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend as much time evaluating a woman as you do a new car and you should be okay.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The joke among family lawyers is that "tens do not marry twos."

^^^^^^^^^^^
Except when the twos have lots of money.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Understand you would like to help your friend but until they decied for themselves that they need to take stock of their actions and choices for getting into and out of personal relationships ..Best just give support and guideance but the time may come that you will have to put your foot down and take what ever action you deem fit. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2023 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a friend just like this. Every single boyfriend is "the one, can't believe how lucky I am, soul mate" yada yada yada. Same thing every single time.

It's certain personalities that can't just have an even keel. It's either the highest of highs or the lowest of lows. It's exhausting and I only see her once a month or so. I subtly bust her balls about it but she just thinks I don't get it, over and over again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
There are many,many people who cannot live unless there is upheaval of one kind or another in their life regardless of what direction it comes from. Spouse, kids, relative, coworker the drama must be ongoing and continuous. I've known several people like this. I usually break ties and run away otherwise you will get caught up in it. At the very least listening to their constant drama stories.

Don't think there's a cure they are just hard wired this way.

100%. They have to have conflict in their lives. Conflict and tension. And what does that equal? DRAMA!

I also run like hell from people like this. Women I’ve dated as well as friends. I knew one guy would be clinically depressed if he wasn’t dating, had a girlfriend, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12654 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Had a Captain at my airline that had been married and divorced 7 times. After the last one he decided it was much cheaper to rent for a few hours, instead of keeping them.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Married for 28 years. Second marriage for both of us. We have a great marriage. Mostly because we decided going we had to work on it every single day. And we do.

Others have alluded to that your friend has to want help to solve his issues. there is nothing that you can do to assist him until he admits the problem is looking back from the mirror and he wants to change. No different than someone with an addiction or a money management problem.

If you are looking for an understanding of why he is doing this, look at the reasons for any other self destructive behavior.

Posts: 11232 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
@OP…

I’d suggest some Chesterton or Lewis or a good Men’s Bible study.

And, maybe some therapy.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally think before anyone gets married, they should be handcuffed together 24/7 for a month. If they are still breathing, there’s a good chance they’re made for each other. Think about it, Two people have been on their own, living their life their way for 18-30 years. Then someone pops in their life for a fraction of the time and they want to turn their two lives into one. Spending more time with each other every day than with anyone else.
I know I’m a slow learner, but it took me 15-20 years to figure my wife out. Not sure that’s 100% yet!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Marriage is a word and a ceremony to him.., and means nothing more to him than being a current steady girl. It's his ticket to the reaction, and the gush of love that he receives in return, for a while. Until that initial cooling to normality.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Marriage is a word and a ceremony to him.., and means nothing more to him than being a current steady girl. It's his ticket to the reaction, and the gush of love that he receives in return, for a while. Until that initial cooling to normality.

This sounds accurate.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post