SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hate chalkboard chalk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate chalkboard chalk Login/Join 
posted
Does anybody here also hate the feel of holding chalk? I don’t know why, but I just can’t stand holding it. Running my nails on a chalkboard doesn’t bother me one bit, and I can powder up with chalk in a gym no problem, but I do not like holding a stick. Is this common?

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No, that's pretty weird. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Holding it no problem. Sidewalk or other surface, no problem.

Typing about writing on a chalk board makes my hair stand up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, I find sidewalk chalk to not have the same feeling.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Haven’t held chalk since childhood, over fifty years ago, but it didn’t seem to bother me then.
You just cant be subtle using it or it gets that squeal going.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I think it's how you hold it.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Do you have Calxophobia?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Where are you having to use a chalkboard and chalk in 2024???

Are you posting from the distant past?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The solution is a tube that holds the chalk. It works like a tube of lipstick or chapstick, just turn it to advance or retract. Available in metal or plastic.

Still available and cheap. Google “chalk board chalk holder tube”.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."

"You shouldn't be that way."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
It don't taste too good neither

Posts: 623 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t touched a stick in 35 years. I just wondered if anyone else disliked the feeling.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Do you have Calxophobia?

I thank you for that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:
It don't taste too good neither

Smile Smile Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am supposedly allergic to chalk dust. Diagnosed as a kid in school. I am much better now!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Where are you having to use a chalkboard and chalk in 2024???

Are you posting from the distant past?

Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I haven’t touched a stick in 35 years. I just wondered if anyone else disliked the feeling.

I'm only half and half kidding / chiding you but I haven't eaten shit-on-a-shingle for 38 years but it's never occurred to me in those 38 years to ask if anyone didn't like eating it at the mess hall especially on the first day of going out to sea which inevitably made a lot of sailors go puking over the stern.

But your question is fine. Carry on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody is having a good time with this one, and that is fine. I was just curious if I’m alone in this. I guess I have my answer. It’s just a tactile thing I’ve had my whole life, and I’ve never heard anyone else mention it. Velvet always did the same thing and so did corduroy.