SIGforum
I hate chalkboard chalk

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6070076705

March 27, 2024, 10:04 PM
400m
I hate chalkboard chalk
Does anybody here also hate the feel of holding chalk? I don’t know why, but I just can’t stand holding it. Running my nails on a chalkboard doesn’t bother me one bit, and I can powder up with chalk in a gym no problem, but I do not like holding a stick. Is this common?
March 27, 2024, 10:19 PM
smschulz
No, that's pretty weird. Eek
March 27, 2024, 10:23 PM
parabellum
"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."
March 27, 2024, 10:26 PM
Rightwire
Holding it no problem. Sidewalk or other surface, no problem.

Typing about writing on a chalk board makes my hair stand up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 27, 2024, 10:27 PM
FenderBender
I know what you mean, I find sidewalk chalk to not have the same feeling.
March 27, 2024, 10:36 PM
220-9er
Haven’t held chalk since childhood, over fifty years ago, but it didn’t seem to bother me then.
You just cant be subtle using it or it gets that squeal going.

March 27, 2024, 10:42 PM
SigSentry
I think it's how you hold it.

March 27, 2024, 10:52 PM
kkina
Do you have Calxophobia?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
March 27, 2024, 11:07 PM
kkina

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
March 28, 2024, 12:50 AM
Rey HRH
Where are you having to use a chalkboard and chalk in 2024???

Are you posting from the distant past?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
March 28, 2024, 01:13 AM
OKCGene
The solution is a tube that holds the chalk. It works like a tube of lipstick or chapstick, just turn it to advance or retract. Available in metal or plastic.

Still available and cheap. Google “chalk board chalk holder tube”.
March 28, 2024, 01:16 AM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture."

"You shouldn't be that way."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
March 28, 2024, 02:08 AM
lechiffre
It don't taste too good neither

March 28, 2024, 06:19 AM
400m
I haven’t touched a stick in 35 years. I just wondered if anyone else disliked the feeling.
March 28, 2024, 08:01 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Do you have Calxophobia?

I thank you for that.

Serious about crackers
March 28, 2024, 08:05 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:
It don't taste too good neither

Smile Smile Smile

Serious about crackers
March 28, 2024, 11:42 AM
YooperSigs
I am supposedly allergic to chalk dust. Diagnosed as a kid in school. I am much better now!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 28, 2024, 11:43 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Where are you having to use a chalkboard and chalk in 2024???

Are you posting from the distant past?

Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 28, 2024, 11:50 AM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I haven’t touched a stick in 35 years. I just wondered if anyone else disliked the feeling.

I'm only half and half kidding / chiding you but I haven't eaten shit-on-a-shingle for 38 years but it's never occurred to me in those 38 years to ask if anyone didn't like eating it at the mess hall especially on the first day of going out to sea which inevitably made a lot of sailors go puking over the stern.

But your question is fine. Carry on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
March 28, 2024, 02:33 PM
400m
Everybody is having a good time with this one, and that is fine. I was just curious if I’m alone in this. I guess I have my answer. It’s just a tactile thing I’ve had my whole life, and I’ve never heard anyone else mention it. Velvet always did the same thing and so did corduroy.