SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How old are you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old are you? Login/Join 
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Worked at a Gulf station where gas got down to $0.16 per gallon and we cleaned the front window, checked the oil and water and gave you Top Value stamps and maybe a free Gulf drinking glass.
No TV then one channel out of Louisville, Ky that was watchable half the time.

Dad would get me 500 .22 long rifle cartridges and never blinked an eye at the cost.

Did not have pizza till I was 16. Lots of meat and potatoes.
Fuller brush man came door to door.
Got our first big window fan and thought we were in heaven in the summmer.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Born in ‘74. Guess I’m a little younger than most here.

I remember my parents smoking inside the grocery store. That was common.
People smoked on airplanes.
I remember getting 33 rpm vinyl records for Christmas and always having to change the needles.
My first bike was a Team Murray.
As mentioned, Gatorade was in glass, as well as all sodas.
Soda bottles had styrofoam wrappers.
Brachs was top quality candy.
Cigarette commercials were in TV.
Liquor commercials were not allowed on TV
Our phone was a rotary dial. I remember when push button “pulse” dialing phones came out.
Drive up one hour photo booths in the parking lots at the grocery store.
Soda cans had pull tabs, and I remember when pop tops as what is now common came out.
Soda machines that you opened the narrow door and lifted the lever to dispense the soda.
My mom drove a Ford Pinto, and was always terrified of being rear ended.
Being allowed to run all over an area of about 8 blocks (very small town) and parents didn’t have to worry that someone would hurt us kids.

There are a lot of things I remember sitting here typing this. Seems like life was a little simpler and quite a bit more fun back then.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Our first color TV looked like this. No remote.

Our first color TV (circa 1961) came with a remote, but all it did was turn the set on/off. Kids were still the channel changers.

We had B&W TV prior to that, small (almost round) CRT in a huge wooden cabinet. I can recall watching the Nixon Checkers speech on that TV.

Green stamps.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I remember watching Highway Patrol on TV. A gripping drama. And Three Stooges, quality entertainment.

Phone numbers with a word for the prefix: “WIndsor6-3820”.

The first McDonalds in Denver. We went a couple times, but Dad preferred Bronco Burger (they were a little less expensive).

Shakey’s Pizza Parlor, with the ragtime band. I wasn’t convinced about the palatability of pizza. I thought it smelled weird.

The lime green 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire with a V-8 and fake wood panel sides, that replaced our Chevy II wagon with the lousy six cylinder. Dad said we needed the V-8 to pull our little pop-up tent trailer up to the mountains for camp-outs. Mom dug the Ford’s air conditioned comfort, as well.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Phone numbers with a word for the prefix: “WIndsor6-3820”.

Ours was HEmlockX-XXXX

Shakey’s Pizza Parlor, with the ragtime band. I wasn’t convinced about the palatability of pizza. I thought it smelled weird.

Loved Shakey’s Pizza. Last one I remember was in 1978.

The lime green 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire with a V-8 and fake wood panel sides.

Mine was a lime green 1968 Ford LTD 2 door with. Vinyl top. It was fast and smooth with the 390.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I remember when cyclamates were banned. Soft drinks were advertising "No Cyclamates".

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, now THAT brings back memories!
My wife of almost 50 years and I had our first date at Shakey’s in Santa Rosa, CA after watching Elia Kazan’s America, America. How’s that for a first date movie? Roll Eyes

Next year we will celebrate the 14th anniversary of our first date.
On February 29th.
Yes, like the Pirates of Penzance.

She was grounded for staying out too late. Frown

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old enough to tell time on a analog clock, something that many millenials cannot do.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
Worked at a Gulf station where gas got down to $0.16 per gallon and we cleaned the front window, checked the oil and water and gave you Top Value stamps and maybe a free Gulf drinking glass.
No TV then one channel out of Louisville, Ky that was watchable half the time.

Dad would get me 500 .22 long rifle cartridges and never blinked an eye at the cost.

Did not have pizza till I was 16. Lots of meat and potatoes.
Fuller brush man came door to door.
Got our first big window fan and thought we were in heaven in the summmer.

I may know why your dad didn't complain about buying you 22 ammo in those days.

Recently I bought a group of vintage ammo from a family estate sale here in the Pittsburgh PA area. Much of the ammo was from the mid 1940's up.

Most of the boxes of 22 were purchased at Kaufmann's around 1947 for .27 cents a box...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Old enough to barely remember watching the first moon landing on our black and white Admiral 12 inch TV. We only watched Walter Cronkite on that TV and I had to sneak up early on Sat mornings to watch the forbidden cartoons before my parents woke up.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Party-lines shared by the telephone. Eek

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Bundling up with extra blankets, clothes when traveling during the winter weather. Even for short distances. No easy towing, not many houses on country roads and undependable cars and tires. Not very good heaters on those old cars. We never would have traveled in shorts and short sleeves.

Tractors with steel wheels. Riding on the single seat sickle arm hay mower. Picking wild blueberries near the woods. Picking wild strawberries by the train tracks. Best SB Shortcake ever. And going to DQ was a not so frequent treat. Before McDs and pizza.

Gardens the size of city blocks. Parents buying wooden outdoor furniture from traveling men from down south who had Beverly Hillbilly trucks loaded down with furniture hanging off of it.

Getting visits from cousins and relatives you saw maybe twice a year. Staying up late and talking baseball with your cousins. We knew all the players BA, pitchers W-L records and tried to stump each other.

Parents sending us out Yolcum Stretcher hunting (Snipe hunting) while they laughed uncontrollable. We had paper bags and yelled Here YS Here YS while we rattled the bags. We must have sounded like idiots.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Needing a key to open spam.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Coffee percolators.
Push reel lawnmowers.
Outhouses (OK, at my grandparents' homes).
Water wells with buckets (same as above).
Mechanical typewriters.
Mimeograph machines.
Spirit duplicators.
Carbon paper.
Pens at school that had to be dipped in ink.
Slide rules.
Drafting (drawing) with T-square and triangles.
Size 127 film.
Playing Croquet with my cousins (we each had a set and the rules were not all the same--some interesting squabbles occurred).
Making my own toys with cut-up "tin" cans, wire, flashlight bulbs, nails, and "D" cell batteries. (Got a few cuts from the metal.)
Tincture merthiolate on those cuts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post