SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How old are you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old are you? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
As a child can remember:

The horse drawn Ice Wagon on my street.

Electric Trolly cars.

No Color TV.

When I was five "I" was the TV remote.

All soda bottles were glass and had a 2 cent deposit.

A McDonald Hamburger cost 15 cents.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
No Color TV.

When I was five "I" was the TV remote.

Got me on these, but I was at least 10 and still the remote. Zenith black and white with the VHF and UHF dials. 13 channel capable but we only had three, and one UHF (PBS) out of Spokane. Most were so snowy they were unwatchable. That was my other job...adjusting the antenna to get the best picture.

I do remember a lot of glass soda bottles (no tax here) in the chest type machines that you had to drag it down the rails to remove. And, pull tabs on the cans. Too young for the church key cans, although, oil "cans" back then were the cardboard type with metal tops that needed the punch in spout.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Ride bicycle to Saturday matinee....with 25 precious cents in pocket...disbursed funds : 12 cents admission, nickle bag of popcorn for the cartoon, maybe nickle for Big Hunk, more or less be too thrilled during B adventure short to eat more, then discover extra 2 cents for nickle sodas during feature. Blink in harsh bright afternoon on ride home while checking out lawns to mow for a whole $1.00 or the big jobs at 1.50....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
What is this TV you referenced? I tuned the family radio to Arthur Godfrey until' I went off war in the Army Air Corps in '44

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Glass Gatorade bottles. The summer before I shipped out I used to run the high school track every morning and after I’d stop and get a ice cold glass bottle of Gatorade. Nothing has ever tasted as good as I remember that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
tuned the family radio to Arthur Godfrey

....my first plane ride was with Arthur Godfrey as the pilot....Some kind of 50th anniversary of flight promotion, my aunt got us special tickets, I had to borrow a suit coat & tie & get my hair cut!!!

DC 3 in 1953, Gowen Field, Boise Idaho.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
What is this TV you referenced? I tuned the family radio to Arthur Godfrey until' I went off war in the Army Air Corps in '44

Wow! You, Sir, are a treasure! You’ve seen, heard, and lived through so much. My hat is off to you.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bunny Ear TV Antennas, no remotes (other than us kids), TV guide to find what you wanted to watch. Missed it? Wait for summer re-runs. Wink

Rotary phones, no answering machines, no call waiting.

No cell phones, no computers, no video games beside B&W "Pong" that the traveling Uncle bought us.

No microwaves; air popper popcorn and melted butter on the stove. Sometimes we had some left over 'Jiffy Pop' to use on the stove, but as it was more 'spensive, not often.

Reliving family vacations / trips with slide shows of the photos and occasionally home movies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Let's see, when I was a kid we didn't have color tv, we didn't have tv period. We didn't have McDonalds or Gatorade, our town was too small for electric trolly's, movies cost a dime for the matinee. Neighbors still had ice delivered for their ice box (we were lucky enough to have an electric ice box. Coal burning furnace and monthly coal deliveries and digging the klinkers out of the furnace.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
My second airplane ride was with Arthur Godfrey in his float plane off the Anacostia River in D,C. Arthur was a friend of my uncle. I soloed in 1943, joined the AAF as Aviation Cadet but ended up 34 years in the Field Artillery( in Korea and RVN). As of this coming Sunday I have been a professional soldier(active and retired) for 75 years. I spoke today to honor those who fell they are the true heroes.

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also the remote for the TV, and adjusted the rabbit ears.

We got 3 channels on the TV.

When I left the house, I didn't have to be back until it got dark. My parents didn't know exactly where I was at and no way to get ahold of me.

I picked up soda bottles along the side of the road. Then i returned them to the local store and got a dime for eack bottle. A candy bar was 25 cents.

We rode bikes, played tag, hide and seek, buit forts in the woods, climbed trees.......

We knew just about everyone in our neighborhood, and they new us.

One house in our neighborhood gave out apples for Halloween, and we are them (with no fear of them being poisoned)

The TV stations played the national anthem, and then went off the air at midnight.

There were no cell phones, computers, call waiting, voice mail, internet, fax machines......

If someone did have a seat belt in their car, it was just a lap belt.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
80's kid, just a few years before the millennial group.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Six Million Dollar Man. Home made chopper bicycles. Stinky hippies. Jarts.

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Not as old as some of y’all... older than others.

I remember Johnny Carson and TV networks signing off at like midnight with the national anthem, then static. Heck, I remember some popular re runs being in B&W. I remember growing up towards the end of the Cold War, always hearing B-52’s from Carswell AFB. Also the last episode of M*A*S*H when originally aired.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We also had only 3 TV channels and luckily a company named Visegrip invented an aftermarket channel selector when the factory one broke.

Lassie, Andy Griffith, Maverick, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, My 3 Sons, Lucy. These and others were the staples of entertainment.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also remember the 15 cent MacDonald's burger. And gasoline was .30/gal.

We called it an "icebox" even though it was one of them new-fangled refrigerators.

Periodic trips to the drugstore to test and replace vacuum tubes for the t.v.

You were one of the cool kids if you had an STP sticker on your binder (I never did. Frown )

I Love Lucy was the best sitcom. (Oddly, it still is.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
My second airplane ride was with Arthur Godfrey in his float plane off the Anacostia River in D,C. Arthur was a friend of my uncle. I soloed in 1943, joined the AAF as Aviation Cadet but ended up 34 years in the Field Artillery( in Korea and RVN). As of this coming Sunday I have been a professional soldier(active and retired) for 75 years. I spoke today to honor those who fell they are the true heroes.

Many blessings to you, sir. Thank you for everything you've done for our country for so many years! Reading these posts by you today have brought a big smile to my face, and gratefulness to my heart!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we had a rotary phone and the only video game was pong. A friend of mine's family got this cool new gadget that would play movies and record tv shows.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Six Million Dollar Man. Home made chopper bicycles. Stinky hippies. Jarts.

We must be the same age, except for the Jarts, I need to look that up. And don't forget lawn darts. We used to toss them in a kind of perverted dodge ball related type of game. Even then I felt a little queasy about it however thrilling. But I wasn't a member of the Darwin club in my neighborhood. We had more than one of those youngins in our neighborhood, all of the male variety of course, and only lost two members by the time we moved after 5th grade. The girls in our neighborhood were smart, they never got caught or dead or anything else. Yes girls are smarter than boys at that age back them. I don't know about these days but yea back then they were definitely smarter. I never smelled any hippies but I remember seeing one occasionally stumbling around on LSD in the shopping district. And don't forget Abbey Road. Good times those were for me, but I was too young to be a hippie. I doubt I would have been because at that age I remember them not being too smart. That explains the current leadership in the Democratic House. No offense to former smart hippies or converted Republicans intended.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK.
Watching my old mans brand new 64 Impala SS 409 being detailed at the dealership.
Going downtown Dayton to shop at Rikes.
Schwinn Stingray.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post