SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US teen beats world #1 chess player (again)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US teen beats world #1 chess player (again) Login/Join 
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The latest is that Niemann is sueing Carlsen for 100 million dollars.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/21...ng-him-of-defamation

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How pedestrian

Posts: 107570 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Chess grandmaster Hans Niemann has officially been cleared of outrageous allegations that he used vibrating anal beads to cheat, after it was revealed that he and two top rivals have resolved their legal dispute on the controversy outside of court.

The American player, already a chess prodigy at just 20, sued Norway's Magnus Carlsen, currently the world's top ranked chess player, and another highly-ranked player, Hikaru Nakamura, for defamation.

He was seeking an eyewatering $100 million in the lawsuit, filed in a federal court in Missouri, which claimed that Nakamura and Carlsen had ruined his career with allegations that he had cheated in ranked matches.

The feud came after Niemann, a self-taught player born in San Francisco who has been playing chess since he was eight, beat Carlsen in a prestigious match last September in St. Louis, Missouri, at the Sinquefield Cup tournament, shattering a 53-match winning streak.

Carlsen withdrew from the tournament and later claimed Niemann had cheated, which he denied.

'Do any fair play checking you want, I don’t care because I know that I’m clean,' Niemann furiously said in an interview after his win.
……
Niemann admitted to cheating online between the ages of 12 and 16, but he denied any wrongdoing while contesting over-the-board games.
……
Chess.com said on Monday it stood by the findings in its report on Niemann, 'including that we found no determinative evidence that he has cheated in any in-person games'.

The platform added that Niemann's account has been reinstated and he is welcome to play at future events. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12455643

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The chess I grew up with had you reading books, memorizing whole games, openings, mid-games, end games and such things as traps, pitfalls, and swindles. All that to distill and recognize the principles to use in tactical situations as they evolve.

Now, it seems chess has been reduced to memorizing sequences generated by a computer program or, worse, devising means to get real time assistance from a computer. That seems soulless and pointless to me.

But, I do still have my chess books from when I was in high school with 98% of them using the standard chess notations. I learned chess just before the switch to algebraic notation. They remain out of all the books I got rid of when I downsized. I hope to get back them them again someday.

I can't find the box that was wholly for chess books; these were mixed in with my Excel books. Check out the $2.95 price tag on two of the books.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I still have hundreds of chess books. And I still buy them occasionally. My oldest chess book is "Basic Chess Endings" by Reuben Fine. It is in descriptive notation.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
allegations that he used vibrating anal beads to cheat

Is that one of those premium Onstar options when you buy a new GM vehicle

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
How did they clear him? Rectal exam?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
His lawsuit against Magnus Carlsen was thrown out. Big surprise. Roll Eyes

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yes and no. The anti trust allegations were dismissed on the merits. The libel and slander claims were dismissed without prejudice as the federal court did not have jurisdiction. They can be filed again in the proper court.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...ainst-magnus-carlsen

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
From BB61’s link:
“Niemann’s attorneys said they plan to pursue the libel and slander claims in state court.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I was gonna be king of Persia too. Big Grin