SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US teen beats world #1 chess player (again)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US teen beats world #1 chess player (again) Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Another win for Niemann, playing white, in his round 2 game against Xiong.

He drew that game, it was not a win.

Para, he’s confessed to cheating in online chess, for money. However, the governing body for chess played in person, FIDE, is still working on their investigation. One of the arguments is that cheating online is not the same as cheating in person (which I disagree with; cheating is cheating).

In terms of how he cheated online, it was with “engine” assistance (I.e. a computer program).

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
One of the arguments is that cheating online is not the same as cheating in person (which I disagree with; cheating is cheating).
Horse shit

Stupid or compromised- it's one or the other, because no ethical body would make such a distinction.

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Another win for Niemann, playing white, in his round 2 game against Xiong.

That game was a draw. A a solid French Defense by Black. I went over the game in real time on lichess.org. It looked like a draw fairly early on.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
There must be some strange (prob well known) psychology that would compel a top competitor in their field to cheat. What would be the point of cheating, which would cause you to know that you lost a game ? The whole point of being the best is to get better continually, to maintain your top spot as long as possible. And in a strange sense, congratulate anyone that could beat you, then try again to come back. Why play the game and cheat, then it's no longer a game, and you lose by definition.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Why play the game and cheat, then it's no longer a game, and you lose by definition.

For money. That's usually the reason.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Round 3, Niemann draws Shankland. Not too shabby.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A local radio station has been following this story. Granted due to the comedic value of the method used to cheat, but a chess master did call in and described how this would work.

Chess computers will beat any expert, regardless of skill. Someone watching the game was entering the opponents moves into a computer, and transmitting the computer's counter moves to the accused player using vibrating patterns sent to the anal beads. All this kid was doing was interpreting the signals and moving the pieces.

This morning they did a follow up and apparently players will now have to have to be scanned for devices before playing.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
All this kid was doing was interpreting the signals and moving the pieces.

Clumsy, and this would have been caught as it’s pure “computer” moves. The reason it’s more difficult is that this player is actually an excellent player in his own right; top 10 in the US, and top 50 globally.

The problem is that a top 10 and a top 50 player aren’t exactly close in skill level, and Hans is cheating to try to compete with the absolute elite. He doesn’t need moves to be fed to him constantly, just one or two a game would do it.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Hans is cheating to try to compete with the absolute elite.

'Is' cheating? Currently? Who, besides you, is alleging he has cheated since 2020 or anytime OTB? Not that chess.com report.

BTW, the chess.com report includes several grandmasters who have also admitted to cheating online.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

Who, besides you, is alleging he has cheated since 2020 or anytime OTB? Not that chess.com report.

BTW, the chess.com report includes several grandmasters who have also admitted to cheating online.

The chess.com report is very careful to only directly address online cheating, and not OTB, as chess.com does not organize, sanction, or review OTB matches. It mentions multiple OTB matches (including 2 in 2021, and one in 2022), that merit further investigation.

Also, there happens to be a FIDE investigation going on right now, and it’s not because “reloader-1” on some message board thinks that Hans is a cheater… Big Grin

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
So no one?

Year V

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Yes, absolutely no one is alleging that Hans is cheating.

That’s why there are WSJ, The Economist, New York Times, etc full length articles on a near daily basis. That’s why the St. Louis Chess Club paid thousands of dollars to have a silicon scanner flown overnight to get there for the US Chess Championship, which Hans is a participant.

Are you being difficult intentionally? The Norwegian chess federation president just resigned because he cheated ONCE (allegedly) online, and yet we have confirmation that Hans has cheated much more than that online, and there is quite a lot of suspicion around his OTB performance: Norway Chess link

The Economist
The Guardian

quote:
However Carlsen has received support from several of the world’s strongest grandmasters, including the Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi, who is cited as being a victim of Niemann in the Chess.com report. “I don’t believe in some major transformations,” Nepomniachtchi said of the American. “I don’t believe in metamorphosis.”

That’s world #2, and quite likely your next world champion speaking.

It’s extremely difficult, the way the rules are written by FIDE, to speak out about cheating without literally catching them in the act. FIDE punishes the whistleblower, rather than protects them.

That’s why there are many grandmasters who are aligned with alleging that Hans has cheated, but are careful to couch it in very “legalistic” ways. Fabiano Caruana, Andrew Tang, Peter Svidler, etc.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
You keep going on and on but you're not mentioning anybody.

Year V

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Nepo is the guy you're citing from the chess.com report? OK, so you're not going to answer my question. Because you can't. The chess.com report does not allege Niemann cheated online since 2020 nor does it allege he cheated OTB at any time.

Year V

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
You keep going on and on but you're not mentioning anybody.

See above. Also, your first post in this thread stated:
quote:
Niemann was immature and cheated. He was mature to admit it. He said he cheated when he was 12 and 16 and never in an over-the-board tournament. I choose to believe him.

Now that this has definitely proven to be false, both in the number of times he cheated, the age that he cheated, and also the “maturity level” of acknowledging his cheating, it might be wise to re-examine your other perceptions. There’s a signature line that I like, it’s John 8:32.

Chess.com report Appendix X.3 directly addresses OTB possible cheating. You are wrong sir, good day.

Chess.com Hans Niemann Report

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, they scanned his butt for those anal beads or whatever. Did they find any?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
reloader-1, if you're going to quote me, don't be selective. I also said in this thread I believe Niemann cheated more than the two times he admitted to. The chess.com report affirms that belief. I'm confident Niemann cheated every time chess.com suspects he did. And now we're back to the question that you can't answer.

Year V

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Keystoner, I’m not sure what your issue is here, but let’s both step back because it’s not healthy.

To address your last point, which I’ve stated multiple times: Magnus Carlsen, the world #1, publicly stated that he believe Hans is and was cheating. FIDE has started the investigation of Over The Board cheating, and will address that.

I was answering your last question, Keystoner. I apologize if in some way I’ve rubbed you the wrong way, sometimes text isn’t the best medium.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I like how this guy says let's step back but then tries to make another point.

Yes, Carlsen (World #1) lost to Niemann OTB, and because Niemann is an admitted prolific cheater, whenever Niemann smokes a GM, like he did Carlsen, they're going to justifiably think he cheated. But that's all they do, and you can do, is 'think' it.

Year V

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
An entertaining and humorous article:

Confessions of a serial chess cheat: I’m quite enjoying the Carlsen v Niemann fallout
Stephen Moss

After 40 years out of the spotlight, the game is hot gossip again, thanks to a major beef between two grandmasters

“I have a shocking admission to make. I am a chess cheat. Or at least world champion Magnus Carlsen would brand me a chess cheat. Occasionally, in online games where I have been testing out particular openings, I have used a chess engine (a dedicated computer program) to look for the best moves to try to get an understanding of positions.

Strictly speaking, that is cheating and if the chess platforms on which I play found out, I would be banned. But they never have, because after the first 15 or so moves I abandon the engine and just play on my wits, usually making the litany of blunders for which my chess is noted. Any suspicions anti-cheating systems have about my perfect play up to move 15 are allayed by my decidedly imperfect play over the next 30 or 40. I am a cheat who has got away with it. …”

Full TheGuardian article.
A good read – entertaining and informative.
https://www.theguardian.com/co...carlsen-hans-niemann

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post