SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15 Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we believe that some people shouldn’t be able to defend themselves against violent crime because of their political views, then there’s no reason that others can’t believe we shouldn’t be able to defend ourselves because of our views. That’s not just a slippery slope, it’s jumping off a cliff with rocks at the bottom.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Emotions aside, my home defense plan does not involve a confrontation outside. I’ll stay concealed and keep the element of surprise.

Yup. The moment BOTH of them stepped outside and showed their firearms, they made themselves targets, and were immediately at a disadvantage. They said some members of the mob had guns. Well, what was stopping any one of them from firing shots (either into the crowd or at the home owners)? Would the homeowners return fire, almost certainly hitting unarmed rioters (and we KNOW how the media would have spun this)?

Sure, protect your property, but don't be stupid about it. Two people against an armed mob is a poor bet. The homeowners had no cover, no concealment, and were hopelessly outnumbered.

I don't care what their politics were, either. The violation of any man's rights hurts us all.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right Sigfreund!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't give a shit bout the McCloskey's politics. It has nothing at all to do with their God given rights to protect and defend themselves and their home.

It sure doesn't. They have every right to defend themselves and their property.

quote:
If we believe that some people shouldn’t be able to defend themselves against violent crime because of their political views,

They should be able to defend themselves. What they shouldn't defend themselves with are the very things they claim to be against. You shouldn't be part of the group that says private ownership of evil black rifles should be illegal AND then defend yourself with an evil black rifle.

My problem isn't with what they did, it's with how they did it. Why weren't they blowing their rape whistle?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I don't give a shit bout the McCloskey's politics. It has nothing at all to do with their God given rights to protect and defend themselves and their home.

Point taken.

Nevertheless, I've ceased caring about these two litigious losers.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/...cb-ecd0225dd287.html

Just remember that every single news piece or article in any and all newspapers, etc is full of falsehoods, innuendo, misinformation, and outright lies. This is an immutable fact of life. And that is more true today than likely in any time in history

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So today we are gonna believe the news? The same news that has been lying to us about nearly everything?
And because of some article you don't care what happens to these people who were exercising their rights?

Also, don't kid yourselves, them out on their lawn did not make them a target. Them wearing bedazzled crocs did not make them a target. Them not sitting in a rocking chair with a gun propped against the wall did not make them a target. They were targets long before without even knowing it.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no truth in the news, and no news in the truth.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Point taken.

We should care about the cause.
Nobody is feeling sorry for these ganof lawyers or their business practices.
What counts is that we stand with their right to defend themselves and the second amendment is not infringed.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:

Point taken.

We should care about the cause.
Nobody is feeling sorry for these ganof lawyers or their business practices.
What counts is that we stand with their right to defend themselves and the second amendment is not infringed.

My posts in this thread thoroughly encompass my thoughts on this case.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Point taken.

So the local paper decides to do a hit piece on the people defending their property, and its purpose is to turn people against them even more so for the act of defending their property. Typical, hit piece, who cares what the guy does for a living, this type of journalism is designed to do just what it did here, turn someone against the couple...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, the ‘hit piece’ on the McCloskey’s may bring to light why so many despise the overly litigious behavior of some in the legal profession, but if there were someone I had to pick to fight this case out in defense of themselves and the 2A, it would be these two sharks.

Although they did make ‘tactical’ errors as discussed here, and perhaps the wife committed some sort crime of by by pointing her weapon towards the crowd, but the mob broke down their gate, was trespassing on their property and threatening them with violence, arson and intent to kill them, and they have every right to defend themselves, their property and their dog.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then why pile on to the innuendos of the article? Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I would say that they could be described as vexatious litigants. Probably are not nice neighbors. That is largely irrelevant when it comes to their actions. I agree it was a hit piece that took considerable time to research.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Then why pile on to the innuendos of the article? Confused

For the same reason you have no sympathy for those two losers.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Enough

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The media cartel and swamp can't let pesky details like facts get in the way of their warped perception of the truth.

Truth for GDCs can include all forms of falsehood and any means needed to achieve their ends.

Everything we are seeing today is chapter and verse from Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Typical, hit piece...this type of journalism is designed to do just what it did here, turn someone against the couple...
NOT just someone, but the entire public and, I suspect, sway the jury pool, should it come to that.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Isn't EVERYBODY missing a key element here? If there had been no mob with the intent on doing harm (when they broke through the gate, "HARM" was evident), then the McCloskeys wouldn't have been outside displaying a weapon...legally. Cause and effect? I'm sure I've read about that somewhere...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé: . . . Just remember that every single news piece or article in any and all newspapers, etc is full of falsehoods, innuendo, misinformation, and outright lies. This is an immutable fact of life. And that is more true today than likely in any time in history

I took a class in college entitled "Informal Logic", ie, the methods used to spread falsehoods in our society. I would love to take the class again (assuming the prof wasn't a stereotypical arch-liberal).

What surprises me a bit, and hurts a bit, is people I know who willingly swallow the lies and distortions.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Isn't EVERYBODY missing a key element here? If there had been no mob with the intent on doing harm (when they broke through the gate, "HARM" was evident), then the McCloskeys wouldn't have been outside displaying a weapon...legally. Cause and effect? I'm sure I've read about that somewhere...

And part of the "cause and effect" is that if you blame the wrong cause, you will not solve the problem.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post