SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cars/Chip Shortage -- I just can't wrap my head around it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cars/Chip Shortage -- I just can't wrap my head around it Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Just look up F150 trucks at Kentucky Speedway. Thousands of them waiting for chips. Other lots full too much the same. I nebber seen so many Fords.. Big Grin

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I expect extreme stupidity and lack of forethought from government but the automakers were right up there with them in this debacle.
They knew that full production would start up again in the near future. Did they really think that there would be a giant stockpile of chips just waiting on them?
Its hard to believe that an entire industry could be that stupid.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah sure we have a declaration of independence

But
We live and breath by declaring total dependency .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Its hard to believe that an entire industry could be that stupid.

Agree, but it’s happened before and it will happen again.

I worked for a large and (once) highly respected telecom giant / micro-electronics and semiconductor manufacturing company with a world renowned R&D Lab that also heavily invested in the fiber-optics boom and they spent $’s like drunken sailors and were so inebriated with greed that they could not see the over-saturation of supply that they were creating.

A quick inter-webz search returned this article which is a decent summary of the debacle -

The Great Telecom Implosion

Posts: 3481 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a great video on Ukraine and their wire harness industry. I feel for the European manufacturers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZd8g1s8Fno

Dave Bean

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
I ordered a 22 F150 on Mar 25th and I just got word that production is scheduled for the week of May 9th. VIN is assigned but window sticker has not been generated yet. No clue how long it will take to actually get the truck built and delivered.

Ford says that the truck was built May 16th and was in shipment, first estimate of delivery was October. Next day got an email said the expected delivery would be mid June. Window sticker looks correct but the MSRP of the base truck and options increased by about $1500.

Definitely will be interesting to see how the deal goes when it finally arrives. I will walk away if certain aspects of the deal are not adhered to.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still can't help but think there is a lot of superfluous "stuff" in today's vehicles

Yep, they have become computers with wheels, people want digital touch screens, apple car play, 360 camera views, heated and ac seats with massage

The issue has hit Harley as well, all the new bikes have CANBUS systems, chips everywhere, throttle by wire, ABS, AppleCar play etc.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
people want digital touch screens

People are stupid. I used to be able to operate the radio, HVAC, 2-channel 10-band EQ, etc. without ever taking my eyes off the road. I like buttons.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Texas Instruments just broke ground on a 30 billion dollar chip manufacturing plant in Sherman Texas.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Definitely will be interesting to see how the deal goes when it finally arrives. I will walk away if certain aspects of the deal are not adhered to.

Keep in mind that the dealership would probably LOVE to have you walk away - so they could mark it up $10,000 and sell it to the next guy.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:
quote:

Keep in mind that the dealership would probably LOVE to have you walk away - so they could mark it up $10,000 and sell it to the next guy.

Truck came in last weekend but I was out of town all week so went to buy it today. Original order date was Mar 25, 2022 and build date was May 16th.

Dealer honored the X plan price from March (MSRP has gone up about 1500 since) and the rebates as promised as well from Ford Truck Month (March). I also got the promised 0% financing from March as well.

The trade offer for my 2013 F150 was painfully low (trying to offset the main deal) so I passed on that and will sell the truck myself.

Overall I am really pleased with the way the dealer handled the transaction and pleasantly surprised at length of time it took to get the truck built and delivered.

The only negative is dealing with the finance folks - they get kind of put off when you decline all of their offers for protection this and protection that. Asked why I declined everything and I said price so he tried a couple of different "packages" and "discounts" and I just told him I wasn't going to buy anything extra. I was spending enough today already.

I've got some new running boards, a bed rug bedliner and a tri fold hard tonneau cover in the garage to install once I get a chance. Will also try to upload pics when I can as well.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post