SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic street rod type car rabbit hole
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic street rod type car rabbit hole Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes if you go into Camaro's and Chevelles you will find them more desirable, now a base model will be less no RS/SS stuff or big blocks and you might find one that fits the budget. El Caminos the same but you can find them.

Do you ever watch the Mecum auctions on TV, I record them and watch the first few days, most folks want to see the big money cars on TV on the Saturday sales.

Kissimmee is the big mac daddy auction in January, its a heck of an event, you'll see multiples of anything you want from starter to Restomod. You ought to plan a day or two down here in Orlando and hit it during the week

There are some serious cars that go through, lots of collections of estates and owners flipping collections. If anything it's the ultimate car show of shows for gearheads.

Check out the 70 Nova listed, sure there are going to be more

Mecum 2024 1970 Nova

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks HRK, that Nova is not the early version I am interested in though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
Here’s a little different suggestion. STUDEBAKER lark daytona
Same size as a nova or chevy2. 65 and 66 v8 cars came with a 283 Chevy engine. You can find decent cars with the mechanicals done for under 20,000.

https://forum.studebakerdriver...c-meet-cars-for-sale

Posts: 248 | Location: Burbank ill | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks HRK, that Nova is not the early version I am interested in though.

yeah it's the only one that came up via search on their page at this time, just an example of what you can find....

If you go to results you can put in Nova and get plenty of hits, see prices if you login, found several mid 60's models...

Link Search Nova

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
HRK, these are all auction sales I assume.
I would not buy doing the auction route.
They had some nice one for sure.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1Lowtrk:
Same size as a nova or chevy2. 65 and 66 v8 cars came with a 283 Chevy engine. You can find decent cars with the mechanicals done for under 20,000.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I was in the car rabbit hole . Twice.
In the family we started with most anything that ran a cast iron hemi. That settled into the Chrysler 300 line with 1955-57 cars. About the Carter gas crunch time, we switched to 65-68 Mustangs. All that is gone now. I drive a Subaru and a Tacoma.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. "IF" and a big if. I were to do something like this it would be that. Buy one already done like several of you have mentioned. Thanks for the link Smlsig. That 1968 El Camino is pretty sweet. I know not perfect. But a beautiful SS. The 327 is one of the engines I am interested in also. Bummer no pix of it.

Probably the two Chevs that most interest me at this point would be the first Nova series and the first El Camino series.
Guessing the Camaro and Chevelle will be significantly more $.
So should the GTO Eek

I’m sure if you call the guy he’d be happy to send you some pics.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.

Sorry
Here’s the text from a 63

Posts: 248 | Location: Burbank ill | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Sorry
Here’s the text from a 63
This car is totally rust free and always has been. The repaint that it had is not holding to the primer and is cracking and giving away in places. When it was repainted it was done minus the side chrome and those holes were filled. However, everything else about the car is a plus. The engine is totally rebuilt. It’s a 259 balanced and blue printed, rings, bearings etc., four barrel carb., electric fuel pump, R3 exhaust headers, original power shift equipped car, aluminum radiator, stainless dual exhaust system. power steering, four wheel disc brakes, chrome wheels, new bumpers, flanged axles and rear anti sway bar. Interior is redone in original theme but modern fabric. Dash pad is a 64 style and is very nice. Stewart Warmer tach in dash and a killer sound system. Would make a very nice, dependable driver. $8250 480 406 1376 leave message and will return call. Car is in Mesa, Az.

Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the double post.
My brain is in ID10T mode today

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
HRK, these are all auction sales I assume.
I would not buy doing the auction route.
They had some nice one for sure.

OK, but it will be a good source for you to check market prices for different levels from unrestored to restomod.

other good sources are Hemmings, Bring a Trailer, of course E-Bay...

posted Hide Post
Dipping back in, local cruise ins. The bigger the better. There will be someone who knows someone, or spotted one for sale, etc.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love old cars but I think you have to be realistic with yourself and your abilities.

Most of the cars we all want are now over 50 years old and the technology back then was pretty rudimentary. They are easy to work on because of that fact but you have to be willing and able to want to do it all the time because that’s what it takes to keep one on the road. If it’s something you really enjoy then go for it. If it’s something that aggravates you then skip it.

I got sick of the constant fiddling needed to keep them going. I noticed as the aggregation grew the car started sitting in the garage more and more. When I did drive it I was always thinking of what I needed to do next instead of enjoying the car itself.

I ended up buying a modern Challenger and have really enjoyed the car.
I like how old things look but I also like how new things work.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Our precise buying choices for a "fun" car in 2015 were:
1969 Camaro, SS or Z/28
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS

The Camaro would have held its value well, but would have come with fair bit of ongoing care and maintenance as others have noted. Also, since not as practical for regular driving or long road trips, the time enjoying it would be much, much less.

Similar to 1s1k we went with the more modern option and committed to drive it, not just look at it in garage and not try to keep mileage low. After 66K miles still feel it was the right choice. For us anyway.

There is something about the older cars and we still lust for them. We've just accepted that the PITA:fun ratio just probably isn't well suited for us from a real use standpoint, and we're not wealthy enough to house or buy both.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I guess it is hard to imagine the cost of maintenance of an older Porsche compared to a Completely gone thorough simple v8 with good tranny and rear end would be more costly or a pita comparing the two.
I get it if you buy a hack job. But as has been discussed here, there are ways to avoid that to a great degree.

I would not need AC mods or other high maintenance items.

I would suspect 6-8k miles a year at most.

dunno.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If I were shopping a classic American car, the 62-67 Nova would be near the top of my list.
Always liked them better [and the 64-65 Falcon, too] than the later bigger Novas, and even preferred it to the BelAir, Chevelle, El Cmaino, Impala.

More popular models, it'd be a 67-68 Camaro or 65-66 Mustang.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15374 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I ended up buying a modern Challenger and have really enjoyed the car.
I think this is the winning answer. I do "lemon" buybacks, and have seen only 1-2 Challenger/Charger buybacks in the past 4+ years and those were where the owners blew them up racing but Chrysler couldn't prove it. Dealers in NC & SC seem pretty well stocked. I've thought about getting one myself and sitting on as a collectible since they are discontinued, but I wouldn't be able to resist driving it.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post