SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women's world cup 2019
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women's world cup 2019 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Stepping away from the political angle since I've already said my piece on that, I have to disagree with a previous poster about the quality of the play. I watch A LOT of football - mostly the Big 5 European leagues, Champions' League, current Copa America, World Cup, etc.

I've shamelessly borrowed this from a poster on another board since I couldn't put it better myself and completely agree:

" It was a good win for them, but man, watching women's soccer is hard. I'm shocked by the disparity at the technical level from men, to the point that simple passes and ball collections are consistently blown. I'm not sure, through this whole competition, I've seen a ball played with a combination of short passes through the middle of the field with the end result being a goal. The style for every team is to get it down the sideline, get a cross off, and hope for the best, many of them not even getting their head up before hitting the cross. Of course, most goals seem to come from PK's or goalie mistakes. It's just.....so bad."

the DISPARITY in the INTERNATIONAL women's game is huge.

like enormous. take for instance USA vs Thailand. 13-0 final score. its is definitely a story of 'haves vs have nots' in terms of Nations.

The womens 'western' / 1st world countries are way ahead comparatively. Talent, resources, training methods, etc.

There is much more parity in the Men's game. So I agree there is 'bad football' in the women's game - but I think when you watch nations like USA, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, England, etc you will see a plenty of talent and technical skill.

The 'bad football' in the Men's game is in the lower divisions across nations which no one watches on TV... Let's face it - when you are going to pay guys MILLIONS to 'be awesome' you are going to attract talent.

--------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Update: With no Politics Cool

Sweden beat Germany 2-1

Netherlands beat Italy 2-0

I think Sweden has a good chance of making the finals. Germany was ranked #2 in the world and Sweden #9.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

Sweden beat Germany 2-1

that's a bit of a shocker

----------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
This is what an American athlete looks like.

I am hoping these prima-donnas lose.

They don't represent the United States but their own vanity and self-importance.

I am rooting for ANYONE else!

As far as giving them more money, they can have part of the woke gate as they try to beat a boys transgender team.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I haven't been paying attention to this at all.

But this weekend, a picture of some lady was shown on TV while watching golf (my parents like to watch golf). My parents are old and they are not very political (at least I've never known them to be). If anything, I would guess they are slightly left leaning.

But when the women's picture came up on TV, my mom didn't like her. The lady said something about if they won the soccer championship, they wouldn't go to the White House if invited. And that Trump was inviting them even if they lose. And that the lady doesn't honor the National Anthem (or is somehow being disrespectful).

We all agreed that if that's the case, she shouldn't be playing for the America team.

That's the first time we've discussed anything remotely related to politics, or perhaps just acceptable behavior, in decades.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88: The lady said something about if they won the soccer championship, they wouldn't go to the fucking White House if invited.

The bolded is actually what "the lady" stated.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wth?

Is she team captain? Does she speak for the team? Does the whole team feel that way? Coach? Owner? Federally funded team?

Anybody who doesn’t respect America should be removed from the team with prejudice. I’d rather have the team come in last place or have no team at all rather than have ungrateful twits represent us.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Rapinoe NOT starting in the semi against England today. Supposedly because they don’t want to wear her out by playing too many games too soon. But maybe she’s shot her big mouth off too much too recently.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Rapinoe NOT starting in the semi against England today. Supposedly because they don’t want to wear her out by playing too many games too soon. But maybe she’s shot her big mouth off too much too recently.

Just saw this. I am sure they can’t just come out and say it, but you know she plays in the semi finals if she could. Definitely some negative press is part of the cause.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Game time...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Nice to see that Rapinoe is on the bench - and the US is up 1-0

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Today, I'm a Loyallst. Go England!

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Nice to see that Rapinoe is on the bench

Rather than some injury it would be nice if the bitch were being punished for her bullshit statements.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Nice to see that Rapinoe is on the bench

Rather than some injury it would be nice if the bitch were being punished for her bullshit statements.

Repeated requests for comments from US Soccer but to no avail. Wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t due to her big mouth; if injury, would have said so, as that is non-political reason.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great game so far -- lots of solid play

US up 2-1 at half-time

media saying MR out with a hamstring injury

--------------------------

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Rapinoe is a distraction and doesn't speak for the Team. She appears not to be missed today.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rapinoe is a distraction and doesn't speak for the Team. She appears not to be missed today.

She is the team captain and is leading the hate America team.

Come on England!

posted Hide Post
quote:

The lead color guy at halftime was trying to get the soccer analysts to talk about how much the team is missing Rapinoe. Both analysts said the exact opposite, you could tell it wasn't the answer he was looking for!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Ref is full of crap for calling a penalty shot for that.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've thought about this, and I've decided that I hope England defeats the US. Screw every last one of them on that team. And near Independence Day no less. So be it.

Glad that bitch is benched nonetheless.

ETA: Oh well. US advances.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post