SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts over eggs benedict
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts over eggs benedict Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Seriously! Thanks for the tip on the poachers.

And love the color on those yolks, and that bacon!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Don't get enough eggs benedict in my life. One of those things I haven't taken the time to make. I blame my parents for not showing me how.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6972 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

Don't get enough eggs benedict in my life. One of those things I haven't taken the time to make. I blame my parents for not showing me how.
Here you go: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggs_benedict/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Appreciate that, sir. I might take a run at it in the near future.

This is one of those recipes that requires a treasure map. And I feel like I'll have to go back to Lowes 3-4 times to return/ exchange things before I'm done.

Once I learn it though, I'll be a true gentleman. Might catapult me into high society.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6972 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
bald1, you know how to live!

Indeed!!!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I like eggs Benedict, been eating them pretty much my whole adult life and the yolk should be a little runny but those egg whites have to fully cooked!

We have a local restaurant that has a Sunday breakfast buffet and they always have eggs Benedict and they are very good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Red neck eggs Benedict. Use corned beef hash in lieu of Canadian bacon.

Good eating, I like all of the varieties previously mentioned.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
On a related note, can anyone recommend a good egg poacher? The last one I bought was a piece of crap and I gave it to goodwill.

You really don't need anything, you probably already have it.

Get a pot of water to just below a boil. Grab your wire mesh strainer thing, like this, wire mesh strainer kitchen thing and you've probably already got one, even cheaper at the dollar store or wallymart etc.

You really don't even need it, but it drains off the really liquidy part of the egg white, which is not quite as attractive with the long white stringey things.

Anyway, crack open the egg and just quickly drain off the excess white liquid, it's really obvious. Don't drain off anything else.

Gently pour the contents into the almost boiling water, simmer really.

Grab your slotted spoon, not too small a size, big enough, and scoop it out when cooked to what looks right.

There ya go!

There are tons and tons of YouTube videos on how to poach eggs, go look at a few, and be sure to find a few to watch on how to use the technique I tried to describe using the wire strainer to get rid of, and why, the excess white stringey things.

Here is just one way of doing it

Once you get this egg cooking way figured out it's easy to transition into really good breakfast sandwichs that will blow away the Egg McMuffin at the drive through.

Good luck to you, enjoy, bon appetite.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked in 3 different restaurants and they all made it the same way so I can’t ever order it. Let’s just say the butter used in the dish is often recycled.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No one have an opinion?
Everyone can't be making the sauce from scratch.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Slight drift but what are folks favorite packaged Hollandaise Sauce mixes?
(Making from scratch can be both a pain and hit or miss.)

Knorr, McCormick, Simply Organic, Amazon Happy Belly, grocery store brand?

As for the old school way of poaching eggs dropped direct in water, yeah it works well if your technique is "on" but the poach pods are so much simpler. And clean up is a snap.
Makes a difference when you're working on your first cup of coffee, not fully awake, trying to make breakfast. Smile
And for what... $6 a pair, why not?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it. Brennan's in New Orleans does some incredible variants. One of the best accidental things I've ever made was after my hollandaise broke one time, and I had to wing a sauce because I was out of eggs. Using goat cheese and butter over a double boiler. Whipped it until it got creamy. It was delicious and my now wife loved it vs hollandaise.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Blue Heaven down in Key West is home to the filet and lobster or filet and shrimp benedict. Fantastic stuff. I usually make ours at home with crab cakes.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post