SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3D Printing a house for $4,000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3D Printing a house for $4,000 Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Who cares about houses, if these are pretty durable, I think there would be a demand for sheds!!!

quote:

These 3D printed homes cost $4k and take less than 24 hours to make

Non-profit New Story has unveiled a 3D-printed house that may help provide safe and affordable homes in developing countries. Each printed home ranges in size from 600 to 800sqft and can be created within a 24-hour timespan, greatly reducing the time and effort that goes into constructing a house. At the same time, the printing technology keeps waste to a minimum.

The homes are printed using Vulcan, a 3D printer that creates the frame of the house one layer at a time. According to New Story and ICON, a construction technologies company, Vulcan can be used in developing countries and other places where traditional home-building is difficult. The technology keeps waste to a minimum and results in a home that is durable and inexpensive with a high thermal mass.

The team built this home-printing technology to deal with some of the issues that may arise in developing regions, including unpredictable access to water and power. A rapid printing process reduces the number of workers needed to build the structure and enables teams to produce houses for underserved communities at a quick pace.

The duo unveiled a finished version of one of these 3D-printed houses in Austin, Texas, recently. The showcased house is a proof-of-concept demonstrating both the printing technology and the final product. Each house costs about $4,000 to produce, which is considerably less than a stick-built house.

According to the companies, the first of these houses will be printed for families in El Salvador over the next 18 months. In the future, and hopefully with partnerships in place, the tech will be used to build safe housing for families in other communities, as well.

https://www.slashgear.com/thes...rs-to-make-14523235/

https://youtu.be/SvM7jFZGAec

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If I had a 3D printer, the first thing I'd print is a . . . 3D printer.

Then I'd have two.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just found out our local library has 3d printers, and lazer engravers and all kinds of cool shit.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Then I'd have two.

I'd print a Genie.

Posts: 22911 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Maybe $4k in materials, but that printer itself probably costs as much as my house, if not double.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of misleading isn't it? To me it looks like they 3D print the walls and-that's about it? That roof wasn't printed, nor were the windows, doors, etc. I betcha $4K covers what the printer can do, not everything else. Given the small form factor of that example house, could a crew of men build a similar structure out of block or ? within that same time period?

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
A couple of observations....

First, by 3D printing, you are not utilizing the local labor market, so you're not bringing the locals out of poverty, you're just giving the poor someplace to live.

Second, a number of countries (Jamaica and Egypt come to mind, as I've been there and have been told this) tax houses tax houses at different rates. Houses that aren't finished are taxed lover than completed houses, so you see a lot of buildings with open unfinished second floors, concrete supports with rebar sticking out the top, things like that. These are finished so would be taxed higher and hence unaffordable to the poor.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seen multiple reports lately that the world is "drowning in plastic waste." So plastic houses make sense?

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
A couple of observations....

First, by 3D printing, you are not utilizing the local labor market, so you're not bringing the locals out of poverty, you're just giving the poor someplace to live.

Second, a number of countries (Jamaica and Egypt come to mind, as I've been there and have been told this) tax houses tax houses at different rates. Houses that aren't finished are taxed lover than completed houses, so you see a lot of buildings with open unfinished second floors, concrete supports with rebar sticking out the top, things like that. These are finished so would be taxed higher and hence unaffordable to the poor.
Oregon had the same system in the 1960s--lots of houses had unfinished exterior fittings (porch posts, etc.) and temporary steps, just to reduce taxes. I don't know if it's still that way.

I saw a blurb on TV the other night about that device printing a house. It can print all the wall structure of a building 30' square.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Seen multiple reports lately that the world is "drowning in plastic waste." So plastic houses make sense?

Some of these ‘print’ in concrete, or similar.

Like this guy: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M

Perhaps local conditions permit combinations... printer creates pieces, local labor assembles.

Or 3D printed concrete structure under water. Not sure why, idea just came to me.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Who cares about houses, if these are pretty durable, I think there would be a demand for sheds!!!

Yes, I'm in! Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8348 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Then I'd have two.

That's basically the idea behind the RepRap. You still have to buy motors and electronics and some hardware, but as much of the machine as possible is 3D-printable on another RepRap.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... El Salvador. Don't they get a hurricane fairly often? Is your plastic house hurricane proof?
And...
I love the term "developing country". Which means it has developed into an unlivable shithole.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A SERIOUSLY misleading number.

Once you deal with all the stuff the printer won't make, plus electrical and plumbing, I doubt it's significantly cheaper than stick-built.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmm.... El Salvador. Don't they get a hurricane fairly often? Is your plastic house hurricane proof?
And...
I love the term "developing country". Which means it has developed into an unlivable shithole.

The house is made of concrete, not plastic.

Which given local building standards in El Salvador, would probably be a massive improvement on stick or hollow brick construction.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A firm in China uses robotic arms and pumped concrete to build houses for a couple of years.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post