SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will dig up a nest of dead ground hornets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will dig up a nest of dead ground hornets? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
The guy taking care of the yard, while I’m out of action, found a large nest of ground hornets.
The exterminator that came to treat the house, pumped a fog of insecticide down the hole and wiped them out.
This morning, we discovered that something had opened up an 18” diameter hole and pulled out the nest or comb (no honey) and scattered the pieces around the outside of the hole.
I have no idea what dug up the nest and I’ve eliminated a couple of infestations in the past myself without anything digging the nest up.
What kind of varmint likes to snack on dead hornets?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Skunk

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with skunk too.

Posts: 6175 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Oh please, don’t let it be that because sooner or later our 10 month old rambunctious lab puppy will jump on it when she goes out to do her business at night. If she does, she is not coming back into the house. Time to get us a long check cord.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Could have been your puppy. Mine will dig a hole trying to get voles. To no success.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
In south Texas, it could also be an armadillo. They mostly eat bugs and are very good diggers.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I live near a state park, lots of woods nearby, and plenty of skunks,

in 17 yrs here, I have found several yellow jacket nest, just a few dead jackets around, and a big hole with a few scraps of paper nest left,

I think skunks are just awesome for that alone

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Possum's too!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Raccoons will dig up a nest. They love the larvae. Even after a nest is treated the larvae are still alive as they are protected in the cells.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5912 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
'dillo.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dillo

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A question here. If the hornets were poisoned is the poison transferred to the animal that consumes the hornets???

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A question here. If the hornets were poisoned is the poison transferred to the animal that consumes the hornets???

Not enough to worry about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5912 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
In the past, when I did my own annihilating, I waited until dark and dumped about a cup of Seven dust on the entrance and covered it with a pail with a weight on it. There were no survivors and nothing came around later to dig up the nest.
We’re glad they’re gone, but we could do without that 2 ft. deep hole in the yard. Smile

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Always amazes me how big a hole they have underground. Do they excavate it one grain at a time?

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not enough to worry about it

^^^^^^^^^^
I would be worried if my dog was consuming them. Was an honest question.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Not enough to worry about it

^^^^^^^^^^
I would be worried if my dog was consuming them. Was an honest question.

Was an honest answer. I have owned a pest control business since 1997. The amount of pesticide used to control a ground nest would be an acute exposure that would pose almost no threat to a mammal. Mild symptoms that would pass.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Always amazes me how big a hole they have underground. Do they excavate it one grain at a time?

Usually starts as an abandoned rodent burrow and yes they will excavate as the nest needs room to expand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Armadillo. They tear up my yard every winter digging up yellow jacket and various other ground dwellers' nests. They are apparently after the larvae.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was an honest answer. I have owned a pest control business since 1997. The amount of pesticide used to control a ground nest would be an acute exposure that would pose almost no threat to a mammal. Mild symptoms that would pass.

^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you.