SIGforum
What will dig up a nest of dead ground hornets?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5850062674

November 04, 2020, 10:49 AM
Sportshooter
What will dig up a nest of dead ground hornets?
The guy taking care of the yard, while I’m out of action, found a large nest of ground hornets.
The exterminator that came to treat the house, pumped a fog of insecticide down the hole and wiped them out.
This morning, we discovered that something had opened up an 18” diameter hole and pulled out the nest or comb (no honey) and scattered the pieces around the outside of the hole.
I have no idea what dug up the nest and I’ve eliminated a couple of infestations in the past myself without anything digging the nest up.
What kind of varmint likes to snack on dead hornets?
November 04, 2020, 10:52 AM
Top Gun Supply
Skunk

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor
November 04, 2020, 10:52 AM
sourdough44
I’ll go with skunk too.
November 04, 2020, 11:17 AM
Sportshooter
Oh please, don’t let it be that because sooner or later our 10 month old rambunctious lab puppy will jump on it when she goes out to do her business at night. If she does, she is not coming back into the house. Time to get us a long check cord.
November 04, 2020, 11:21 AM
craigcpa
Could have been your puppy. Mine will dig a hole trying to get voles. To no success.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
November 04, 2020, 11:34 AM
maladat
In south Texas, it could also be an armadillo. They mostly eat bugs and are very good diggers.
November 04, 2020, 12:23 PM
lyman
I live near a state park, lots of woods nearby, and plenty of skunks,

in 17 yrs here, I have found several yellow jacket nest, just a few dead jackets around, and a big hole with a few scraps of paper nest left,

I think skunks are just awesome for that alone

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

November 04, 2020, 01:44 PM
Rolan_Kraps
Possum's too!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
November 04, 2020, 01:58 PM
dave7378
Raccoons will dig up a nest. They love the larvae. Even after a nest is treated the larvae are still alive as they are protected in the cells.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
November 04, 2020, 03:42 PM
.38supersig
'dillo.

November 04, 2020, 04:02 PM
MikeinNC
Dillo

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
November 04, 2020, 04:32 PM
ZSMICHAEL
A question here. If the hornets were poisoned is the poison transferred to the animal that consumes the hornets???
November 04, 2020, 05:44 PM
dave7378
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A question here. If the hornets were poisoned is the poison transferred to the animal that consumes the hornets???

Not enough to worry about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
November 04, 2020, 07:15 PM
Sportshooter
In the past, when I did my own annihilating, I waited until dark and dumped about a cup of Seven dust on the entrance and covered it with a pail with a weight on it. There were no survivors and nothing came around later to dig up the nest.
We’re glad they’re gone, but we could do without that 2 ft. deep hole in the yard. Smile
November 04, 2020, 09:17 PM
Sigfest
Always amazes me how big a hole they have underground. Do they excavate it one grain at a time?
November 04, 2020, 10:00 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Not enough to worry about it

^^^^^^^^^^
I would be worried if my dog was consuming them. Was an honest question.
November 04, 2020, 10:23 PM
dave7378
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Not enough to worry about it

^^^^^^^^^^
I would be worried if my dog was consuming them. Was an honest question.

Was an honest answer. I have owned a pest control business since 1997. The amount of pesticide used to control a ground nest would be an acute exposure that would pose almost no threat to a mammal. Mild symptoms that would pass.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
November 04, 2020, 10:25 PM
dave7378
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Always amazes me how big a hole they have underground. Do they excavate it one grain at a time?

Usually starts as an abandoned rodent burrow and yes they will excavate as the nest needs room to expand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
November 05, 2020, 06:33 AM
HayesGreener
Armadillo. They tear up my yard every winter digging up yellow jacket and various other ground dwellers' nests. They are apparently after the larvae.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
November 05, 2020, 09:03 AM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Was an honest answer. I have owned a pest control business since 1997. The amount of pesticide used to control a ground nest would be an acute exposure that would pose almost no threat to a mammal. Mild symptoms that would pass.

^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you.