SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you help identify this electrical connector?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help identify this electrical connector? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good morning, SF. It looks like today brings another chapter in the "What's this connector?" book.

The pics below show a wiring harness connector on a friend's ATV. I'm trying to identify the connector so as to learn how to remove the terminals. I'm very familiar with Molex, Amp, and some JAE terminals and housings, but this one baffles me. I can't find a way to release the terminals from the housing.

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Look above the connector, see that black tab?

It appears that needs to lift up to free the connector, a small flat eyeglass screwdriver can go in, lift and then pull the wire. You can probably go in from the wire side as well, push the wire a tad forward and lift the retaining clip. Should slide out.

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you don't find the answer here, I'd search the brand of ATV and connector and see what pops up.
Include the brand, model and year of the ATV here too and maybe that'll help us find the info.
I couldn't tell from the photo but is that a part number on the top face of the connector? Maybe a magnifying glass would help you see if it's not clear.

Posts: 9540 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Weatherpak I suspect.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with car wire harnesses daily.
It's a yazaki connector, from the arrow above the 2, but I don't recognize the style.
Got a P/N anywhere on it?

HRK is generally correct, but don't go in from the back (wire) side.

Referencing the pic HRK quoted:
I don't see a secondary, but I'm used to white secondary locks. If that tab above the RH terminal won't lift up, it might not have a secondary & you can skip that step.

Push the wire in slightly.
Use a small screwdriver that fits easily between the top of the terminal and the plastic, can't be tight. Slide it along the terminal until you feel it stop, then lift/pry the tab up slightly & pull the wire out.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Proprietary design maybe?

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I can't help vthoky put I feel his pain. After working on American, European and Asian cars and industrial machinery for over 40 yrs, I ran into connectors I could not figure out until I broke the fucking thing.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9369 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Someone here posted a link to a connector web page, you uploaded the image and they determined what it is, and showed you how to work on it, along with the PN for replacements.

Remember sending up a random link and bam it matched it right up...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Someone here posted a link to a connector web page, you uploaded the image and they determined what it is, and showed you how to work on it, along with the PN for replacements.

Remember sending up a random link and bam it matched it right up...

^^^^ I uploaded the pic to the site~ it didn't find it first go then a guy got on the chat line and I uploaded it to him and a minute later he came up with the item and I posted that link above.
FWIW, these guys are local to me and I have used them before when I was out of answers on a connector for my wife's car and they came through big time.
Also the guy said something about a 20% discount but not sure how that works and I said I would pass it on.
Good Luck

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the slight thread drift.
I have been looking for a place to buy pigtails as I have a couple harnesses I’d like to make for my truck.
That link is showing nearly everything at $80 a pigtail??
Am I missing something?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25442 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Am I missing something?

Yeah, it does seem pricey.
In my case after scouring the Internet for hours, going to store after store and even the dealer (who btw recommended the site as they had no part) and coming up short plus the considering the enormous work to manufacture an alternative it was worth it for me.
But I do get it that in some cases it may not be feasible, I wonder how much it costs to stock every obsolete pigtail anyway?
But good point on the price.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Am I missing something?

Yeah, it does seem pricey.
In my case after scouring the Internet for hours, going to store after store and even the dealer (who btw recommended the site as they had no part) and coming up short plus the considering the enormous work to manufacture an alternative it was worth it for me.
But I do get it that in some cases it may not be feasible, I wonder how much it costs to stock every obsolete pigtail anyway?
But good point on the price.

This site seems like complete nonsense to me. I just had a headlight conversion harness made for $110 using all the factory brand connectors.
There are a total of 12 connectors in all for both sides of the harnesses. All but 1 type of connector is listed in that site and all are $79.
Using that site as a supplier would put the harness at well over $800.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
My neighbor works for Yazaki. I'm sending him the picture now. I'll let you know what he says.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
My neighbor works for Yazaki. I'm sending him the picture now. I'll let you know what he says.

He didn't have an answer as to disassembly, but might have one laying around.

What's your end goal? Disassembly to reattach to the wires? Would a replacement solve the disassembly issue?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I couldn't tell from the photo but is that a part number on the top face of the connector? Maybe a magnifying glass would help you see if it's not clear.

It's a Polaris ATV (I don't know yet which model), and I'm told it goes to a sensor on the carburetor. The mark at the top center of the connector (terminal side) is just a blank rectangle. The only numbers I can find are on the fifth photo I posted.

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I work with car wire harnesses daily.
It's a yazaki connector,

Yazaki! I didn’t think of them.

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Push the wire in slightly.
Use a small screwdriver that fits easily between the top of the terminal and the plastic, can't be tight. Slide it along the terminal until you feel it stop, then lift/pry the tab up slightly & pull the wire out.

That's the method I'm familiar with. Prior to this morning, I just wasn't having any luck finding/feeling a tab that would move.

quote:
Found this

https://findpigtails.com/conne...&product_title=E62A3

That’s a great find. I’ll be bookmarking that site.

quote:

Awesome. Thank you.
I'd love to have a part number for that connector and the associated terminals.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
He didn't have an answer as to disassembly, but might have one laying around.

What's your end goal? Disassembly to reattach to the wires? Would a replacement solve the disassembly issue?

Yes, the intent is to replace the connector and terminals. The wires have been cut and we're attempting to rehab that connection.

We did manage to get the terminals out today, inserting a tiny-diameter probe and finally finding a tab to release them. Are fresh terminals and seals available? I'd love to be able to recrimp these leads and put it back into service.

God bless America.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

This site seems like complete nonsense to me. I just had a headlight conversion harness made for $110 using all the factory brand connectors.
There are a total of 12 connectors in all for both sides of the harnesses. All but 1 type of connector is listed in that site and all are $79.

Maybe in your case it doesn't work out or make good financial sense but that doesn't make the whole site nonsense.
It was a savior to me as I was out of options.
YMMV

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe in your case it doesn't work out or make good financial sense but that doesn't make the whole site nonsense.
YMMV

You are correct complete nonsense not quite the right phrasing but most of the connectors I am seeing on the site aren’t obsolete and can be had for a few dollars elsewhere and they want $79.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

YMMV

You are correct complete nonsense not quite the right phrasing but most of the connectors I am seeing on the site aren’t obsolete and can be had for a few dollars elsewhere and they want $79.

You wouldn't believe how much of a pain in the ass it is to get/make one-off, to order, automotive parts. The price reflects that.
Somehow my former office number got in the yellow pages, I'd get at least 1 call per week from someone trying to get 1 connector & terminals like this. The distributor I refer them to charges $50 for any quantity less than 100.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post