SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why anyone would install one of these things is beyond me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why anyone would install one of these things is beyond me Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
The story is self explanatory.

Link

Google Home Mini Caught Spying on Users

Google Home Mini, the puck-like smart home device from the Alphabet-owned company, has a big problem.

Some Google Home Mini units have been secretly recording just about every sound they hear and transmitting all of that information back to Google. While it's unclear what happens to the recordings once they land at Google, the obvious privacy implications are enough to scare just about anyone.
According to Android Police, which earlier discovered the problem, Google Home Mini would randomly start recording everything going on in the room at a given time. And it appears that the problem is a glitch that causes affected units to think that they should be recording when they should not.
Google Home Mini, which was unveiled at the company's press event last week, is designed to wake when someone says "Hey Google" or "OK Google." You can also hold your finger down on the device and all the while, Google Home Mini will record what it hears.
From there, the recording is sent to Google's cloud servers, where the query can be interpreted. A response is then worked up and sent back. In most cases, that works just fine. However, it appears that the affected Google Home Mini units thought they were being pressed and should be recording everything.

....more at the link.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Why anyone would have one of these devices in their home is beyond me...and this goes for the Amazon and other varieties as well...

Alexa you can kiss my ass!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Seems like corp america and china are taking liberties with our privacy. siri, cortana, alexa, google. i'm paranoid about using consumer networked devices and so called smart home devices. especially cameras - no cameras connected to the webz for me.

as corporations become more interleaved with government, is 1984 really that far away?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday, October 6th - 4:32pm

To my surprise, the first reply came in 10 minutes later. They were looking into it. I replied with a few more details.

Friday, October 6th - 5:58pm

Google assured me that this was the first time they've heard of this issue and were really interested in swapping out my unit to examine it.

Friday, October 6th - 7:00pm

Google PR was on the way to my house to pick it up. Mind you, we're talking about a Friday night here. That's dedication! I wasn't home at the time, but by 9pm, the exchange was made. In fact, I was left with two replacement Google Home Minis for my trouble. I'm on to you, Google! (/s)

An engineer was driving up to Oakland to examine it that very night. It was clear how seriously they were treating the situation.

Sunday, October 8th

Further clarifications arrived. The Google Home Mini supports hotword activation through a long press on the touch panel. This method allows people to activate the Google Assistant without saying the hotword. On a very small number of Google Home Mini devices, Google is seeing the touch panel register “phantom” touch events.

In response, the updated software disables the long press to activate the Google Assistant feature. Once the Google Home Mini devices receive the updated software, all long press events (real or phantom) will be ignored and Google Assistant will not be invoked accidentally.

The company also let me know that they're in the process of building a long-term fix, whatever it may be. It's too early to say if they're going to be able to deal with "phantom" touch events entirely in software or if a recall for affected units will be in order.

From Artem of Android Police who found the problem..

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Why anyone would have one of these devices in their home is beyond me...and this goes for the Amazon and other varieties as well...

Alexa you can kiss my ass!

What smlsig said.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I had an Alexa for about a week, then the novelty wore off and Amazon got it back.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
But, but, it can help you order your favorite pizza 32seconds faster than normal, and it remembers what sort of toilet paper you like to buy, and you can ask it the weather. (gasp)

:eyeroll:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
When hell freezes over. Same for internet capable cameras.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Seems like corp america and china are taking liberties with our privacy. siri, cortana, alexa, google. i'm paranoid about using consumer networked devices and so called smart home devices. especially cameras - no cameras connected to the webz for me.

as corporations become more interleaved with government, is 1984 really that far away?

Regarding cameras...do you have a smart phone or tablet?? Well you are already introducing the possibility of being spied on.

I have a friend who is in the FBI who commented to me how easy it was to monitor (spy) on people these days because they are already carrying the hardware needed to do the job...

My wife who is a hazardous waste disposal consultant is constantly Googling things about explosives and other nasty components and became so paranoid about this after listening to our friend that she has put black tape over all her electronic devices cameras and microphones....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding cameras...do you have a smart phone or tablet?? Well you are already introducing the possibility of being spied on.
Apparently, this is the standard argument, because it appears in any thread on this subject, and it's an invalid argument each time it's introduced. This does not address the issue. Saying "Oh, you already have cameras around you" is not an argument.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Google Home Mini Caught Spying on Users

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do. But I put cute stickers over them (PC and phone). I only take off the sticker on the phone if someone insists on using vid call. Then, I take off the sticker and re-enable the function on the phone. Otherwise, it's disabled and has a sticker.

Can things be hacked? Sure. But at least I've tried to turn things off as much as possible.

It's the same thought process as running faster than the guy next behind you when chased by a bear. Or encouraging a burglar to choose an easier car/house to break in to. Sure, I can get exposed. But I'll make it harder if possible.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal size faraday box will store small connected gadgets you want to use sometimes, like alexa.

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope, with data encrypted by nope, covered by nope tape.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have both the Google Home and the Amazon Echo.

No don't really care if they're spying on me. I operate under the assumption that there is no privacy anywhere.

If you are surprised by the idea that some devices are nefariously collecting data on you without your knowledge, then you are a step behind. This shit is chess, not checkers.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Nope. And hell nope, with data encrypted by nope, covered by nope tape.

Smile

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I have both the Google Home and the Amazon Echo.

No don't really care if they're spying on me. I operate under the assumption that there is no privacy anywhere.

If you are surprised by the idea that some devices are nefariously collecting data on you without your knowledge, then you are a step behind. This shit is chess, not checkers.

Is this like posting "I eat whatever I want, I just exercise enough!" in a thread about diets and meal planning? Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How can anyone complain about a box they install in their home that is designed to listen to conversations and provide data, assistance etc.

There isn't a "corporations are invading your privacy" issue, because once you make the decision to put one in your house thats your decision.

It's like blaming the gun maker for the gun owners actions...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Again, like gun control legislation - aspects may be inevitable - but not with my support...

The best one can hope for is that such trends have the unintended consequence of helping usher in a long overdue focus on privacy, rather than these thinly veiled and decidedly vapid "conveniences" whose primary focus is to help someone sell you some bullshit.