SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why anyone would install one of these things is beyond me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why anyone would install one of these things is beyond me Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
How different is this from people using "The Cloud" to hold their personal data? You have to be out of your frigen minds to place sensitive information out to who-knows-where. You know it's going to be hacked and used against you.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2197 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
To all the people that say "hell no" to these devices, I ask: Do you have a smartphone, or iPad or Android tablet? Whether iPhone or Android, they all have the same feature that is default to be on when you start the phone. If you haven't shut that off you already have the equivalent of Alexa, but on your iPhone, Android phone, or tablet.

If you're saying "hell no," but haven't shut off Siri or OK Google on your phone/tablet, then you're actually saying "yeah sure."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
To all the people that say "hell no" to these devices, I ask: Do you have a smartphone, or iPad or Android tablet? Whether iPhone or Android, they all have the same feature that is default to be on when you start the phone. If you haven't shut that off you already have the equivalent of Alexa, but on your iPhone, Android phone, or tablet.

If you're saying "hell no," but haven't shut off Siri or OK Google on your phone/tablet, then you're actually saying "yeah sure."

Nope! Nope! Nope! And Hell Nope!

No Alexa, no Siri, no IPhone, no Android, no Google, no cameras, no Tablet, no Smart Phone, no nothing. Never ever ever going to open my home up to the universe anymore than I already do. The only ones that know of me are on SigForum.

So, Nope, and Hell Nope, with a encrypted filesystem of nope, covered in nope tape.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread lead me down a rabbit hole of prepper faraday sites. Chemtrails. Mind Control.

I'm going to try to take my mind off it all with some light Time Cube™ reading.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the first things I did with my new phone. I have basic shortcuts on my home screen to facility phone calls and texting, and whatever other info I need, I can physically type into a Google screen, just like on my desktop and laptop.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:

Always off. And checked regularly.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, my landlord installed a state of the art Wi-Fi / cable system throughout our large townhouse complex. Each townhouse has its own Wi-Fi system. Although owned and managed by my landlord (at a third of the cost I was paying), Spectrum still has the tech support for the system.
When the tech was installing this system, I mentioned to him that in the early morning hours that my cable would briefly freeze up. He told me that may occur during a daily "data dump" where my system is sending data back to Spectrum.
When I asked what kind of data is going to Spectrum, he told me it was system performance information.
Hmmmm.... I wonder....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I have both the Google Home and the Amazon Echo.

No don't really care if they're spying on me. I operate under the assumption that there is no privacy anywhere.

If you are surprised by the idea that some devices are nefariously collecting data on you without your knowledge, then you are a step behind. This shit is chess, not checkers.

Why both? Do they not both do the exact same thing?

I wonder if when you're away for the day, if they get lonely? Wonder if they talk to each other when you're gone?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:

Nope! Nope! Nope! And Hell Nope!

No Alexa, no Siri, no IPhone, no Android, no Google, no cameras, no Tablet, no Smart Phone, no nothing. Never ever ever going to open my home up to the universe anymore than I already do. The only ones that know of me are on SigForum.

So, Nope, and Hell Nope, with a encrypted filesystem of nope, covered in nope tape.

H&K-Guy
And still posting on the Internet... Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Privacy in today’s world is purely a myth. Every electronic gizmo that transmits data in any way is recorded and stored by some company or government agency. You want privacy, ditch all electronic devices.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Phone / internet usage, credit card / bank activity, tax / business records, Licience Plate Readers, firearm ownership, voting records... yeah, everyone here is flying under the radar realzgood. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, this is an interesting development....Google Has Killed Home Mini's Touch Feature. Why does this feel to me like someone got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and is backpedaling as rapidly as they can?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What happened to Google? They used to be proponents of end user privacy, etc.

Seems like now they are the complete opposite.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Seems like corp america and china are taking liberties with our privacy.

No. Not in the least.

People are stupid enough to give it up.

Often the same people who use facebook and vomit all their personal information into the cyber wind.

In Iraq, captured laptops contained an incredible amount of detail about soldiers, contractors, and others. Entire dossiers were built up on tens of thousands. Names, dates, relatives, pets, habits, likes, dislikes, you name it. Anything that could possibly be used against that person, their loved ones or friends, or someone else.

One of the chief sources for that information? Facebook, and numerous other popular social media.

Putting cameras in the house, and listening devices? Freaking bloody stupid, and yet tens of millions of our own citizens do it daily.

Then again, there are probably many more that are actually naive enough to think that their cell conversations, texts, and other communications were ever private. Ignorance, for some, is bliss. For others, it's dangerous and damaging, and for some, deadly.

Security and privacy are not luxuries.

quote:
What happened to Google? They used to be proponents of end user privacy, etc.

Seems like now they are the complete opposite.

That was never the case. Google's stated aim has always been to gather ever piece of information on every living person. Capture all data.

It came out long ago that the google cars that drove down your street doing shots for google earth were gathering electronic data everywhere they went. Google puts up helium balloons ostensibly to put out wifi signals over massive land and water areas...but it's not a one sided goodness.

Google is all about capturing your information and always has been. Secure? Private? One would need to be a willfully blind fool to believe it. Google takes your information, and does with it as google sees fit.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You're talking about something different. Those are voluntary disclosures.

I'm talking about involuntary disclosures with or without our knowledge.

Google used to be different. Before your "long time ago" of the earth and map cars. When they were still a new and emerging search engine.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're talking about something different. Those are voluntary disclosures.

I'm talking about involuntary disclosures with or without our knowledge.

Google used to be different. Before your "long time ago" of the earth and map cars. When they were still a new and emerging search engine.

You're not talking about something different at all. Just your perception that there was once something different.

Welcome to reality.

Google has always been about gathering every bit of data regarding everything, everywhere.

It was never altruistic, not from day one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
always off, also disable location services as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Well, this is an interesting development....Google Has Killed Home Mini's Touch Feature. Why does this feel to me like someone got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and is backpedaling as rapidly as they can?

No. Other units of Android Police work properly. It's just the one (and according to Google, a small number of others) where the touch feature has a hardware bug that it's engaged constantly, thus leading to repeated replies from Google when placed near a constant audio source such as a TV. If Google had meant to spy on you, the unit would have just stayed silent and record everything..

Google panicked upon learning of it and sent people out to Artem's house on a Friday night (9 pm) to find out why and over the weekend, issued an emergency patch to disable that hardware feature permanently.

I think they responded well.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
There is no real privacy with the Internet. Names can be found easily, all ya need is an email address.

From there, addresses, photos, employment...if your home has ever been sold by a realtor, photos of your home will always be on Zillow and realtor.com

Just typing your name or an email address into Google will bring white pages with your age and all family members and their addresses. It's actually amazing and scary. I just moved into a new neighborhood and found out the names of all my neighbors and what they do. Can even see in their house using Zillow. Pretty creepy.

Ask Jerry, he knows Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Phone / internet usage, credit card / bank activity, tax / business records, Licience Plate Readers, firearm ownership, voting records... yeah, everyone here is flying under the radar realzgood. Big Grin

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever a tech thread pops up anymore, I’m reminded of the “what’s your age” poll.

The concept of the digital assistant will only continue to grow and get better. Think Jarvis from Ironman someday. Can Jarvis be compelled to testify in court? Hmmmmm, this is gonna get interesting as it progresses.

Fear of this kind of stuff does seem odd to me. I love when people say don’t put your information in the cloud!!!!!! Buuuut all of that person’s medical, banking, auto, property...etc information is all already in the cloud.

Working out the privacy and security is of the utmost importance, but anyone who thinks they are successfully avoiding it is kidding themselves.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post