SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car pulls in carpool lane without looking, causes motorcycle accident
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car pulls in carpool lane without looking, causes motorcycle accident Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The motorcyclist is very luck his injuries weren't more severe. That's fairly light traffic by LA standards. I drive regularly in the #1 lane (next to HOV) and I treat the HOV as an emergency exit lane - yes, I know cars and motos could be there, but the lane is typically less occupied than lanes #1-xxx.

In 15 years of driving in LA, only once have I dived into the HOV to avoid an accident. I was stopped and the lady behind was putting on make up at 40 mph. Sensing she wasn't paying attention, I jumped into the HOV and avoided a serious rear-end collision. The gal in her Volvo took out two cars.

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
car guy is at fault but the biker showed ZERO common sense. He was going 55 when he ran into the back of the car - presumably after hitting the brakes and beginning to slow down. He was running 20-30 mph faster than the surrounding traffic. That is a recipe for disaster.

The fact the the traffic up in front was slowing even further increased the closure rate.

So the dude in the car gets the blame but the guy on the bike could have easily prevented it by riding smart.

And before anyone gets their flame throwers out I've been riding for over 40 years. I've wrecked in many different ways, hit cars, and been hit by cars... It took a few hard knocks to get me to pay attention but eventually I learned that riding smart totally trumps riding legally. Right vs wrong doesn't matter much when the paramedic is looking down at you.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Motorcyclist is not without fault. Cars are going to kill you; he failed to maintain situational awareness of what was going on in front of him.

Can't hear any significant engine braking with a down shift. While his hands shift to cover the brake and clutch when the car emerges, there doesn't appear to be any squeeze on the brake, and the front end doesn't dive either.

The largest factor is the high speed differential between him and the surrounding traffic. He is passing all the things.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The rider probably could have lane split or ridden the shoulder and avoided the crash. I think he panicked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Motorcycles are generally allowed in carpool lanes.
And even if they were, they'd be there anyways.

This dude shoulda had louder pipes. I've heard they save lives..?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The rider probably could have lane split or ridden the shoulder and avoided the crash. I think he panicked.
He just froze up and tried to brake (poorly, apparently).

I guess he missed the part about defensive driving.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Motorcyclist does not seem to see the car until he hits it. I didn't see any effort to slow down or brake, in what looked like plenty of time to stop to me.

Clearly the driver of the car was stoned, and crossed the double yellow line. But, the accident was clearly avoidable.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That bike he is riding is a Dyna Glide and for an HD generally has excellent handling characteristics. However it has a single 4 piston disk for front brakes and single 4 piston disk rear brake, The bikes weight is close to 600 pounds, it's not a 400 pound R1 with dual 6 piston front brakes.

It takes longer to slow and stop a heavy bike, he's riding on double the weight and half the brake power of a high end sport bike.

Went back second by second to see what happens since we have several saying he didn't brake, or braked too late,

at 019 the Hi-boyota moves from lane 3 to lane 2 no reason to panic at this point as it doesn't give an indication that its continuing to the HOV,

At 020 the hi-boyota moved from in front of a car into the HOV lane you see the brake lights on the car it cut off. Time to worry.

at 021 you can see the right hand on the rider grab the front brake lever, same time you see the hi-boyota start its move into the HOV at slow speed

at 022 impact, somewhere less than a second between the car entering the lane and impact. J

So one second between the car violating the bikes space and impact and the brakes are on, the car is clearly not up to speed entering the HOV lane, further exacerbating the speed differential, the bikes not going too fast, the fact is that car is not going fast enough.

It does prove this shidt happens in mili seconds not seconds.....

Could he have avoided it and shot down the concrete barrier side, perhaps, and risked being pushed into the barrier, on the other side you have cars that are slowed due to traffic, and little room at impact as the Hi-Boyota driver is angled in the lane, not centered.

If you ride, target fixation is a problem, same for drivers of cars, you see a problem, focus on the problem, hit the problem ie a Tree, car, etc.

For us that ride, stay focused, stay alert, and hope some hi-boy driver isn't slowly pulling through traffic and making foggy decisions in front of you....

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
And there you have a driver high/stoned on something.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
And this is why you cover the front brake at all times, folks.
And why you always assume every other vehicle on tbe road will try to kill you.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one reassuring thing about my newest bike is that you can hear it from three blocks away. You would have to be absolutely stoned out of your mind not to know I was riding my R1 near you, it is ungodly loud.

Having a stupid-loud motorcycle won't save you from a crash like this.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
That bike he is riding is a Dyna Glide and for an HD generally has excellent handling characteristics. However it has a single 4 piston disk for front brakes and single 4 piston disk rear brake, The bikes weight is close to 600 pounds, it's not a 400 pound R1 with dual 6 piston front brakes.

It takes longer to slow and stop a heavy bike, he's riding on double the weight and half the brake power of a high end sport bike.

Went back second by second to see what happens since we have several saying he didn't brake, or braked too late,

at 019 the Hi-boyota moves from lane 3 to lane 2 no reason to panic at this point as it doesn't give an indication that its continuing to the HOV,

At 020 the hi-boyota moved from in front of a car into the HOV lane you see the brake lights on the car it cut off. Time to worry.

at 021 you can see the right hand on the rider grab the front brake lever, same time you see the hi-boyota start its move into the HOV at slow speed

at 022 impact, somewhere less than a second between the car entering the lane and impact. J

So one second between the car violating the bikes space and impact and the brakes are on, the car is clearly not up to speed entering the HOV lane, further exacerbating the speed differential, the bikes not going too fast, the fact is that car is not going fast enough.

It does prove this shidt happens in mili seconds not seconds.....

Could he have avoided it and shot down the concrete barrier side, perhaps, and risked being pushed into the barrier, on the other side you have cars that are slowed due to traffic, and little room at impact as the Hi-Boyota driver is angled in the lane, not centered.

If you ride, target fixation is a problem, same for drivers of cars, you see a problem, focus on the problem, hit the problem ie a Tree, car, etc.

For us that ride, stay focused, stay alert, and hope some hi-boy driver isn't slowly pulling through traffic and making foggy decisions in front of you....

Well spoken Sir. Rider was going 80 in a 65(?) zone, and with the traffic the way it looked that was too fast, at least for me. I would've probably did more than just hop around like he did.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That biker was more calm than I would have been, but it's clear he wasn't paying attention to the traffic in front of him. The car he hit was clearly swerving into his lane when he was still a few car lengths back. I had to chuckle when he said he was going to call 911, though. Cops in California don't give a fuck about traffic accidents unless someone's dead.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:
The one reassuring thing about my newest bike is that you can hear it from three blocks away. You would have to be absolutely stoned out of your mind not to know I was riding my R1 near you, it is ungodly loud.

Having a stupid-loud motorcycle won't save you from a crash like this.

Agreed. Skill trumps loud pipes.

This guy knows how to slow down:

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% the car driver's fault.

That said, this was avoidable. My first thought when the video started was he was riding too fast/too much speed differential with the cars. Compounded by not looking far enough forward and slowing in anticipation of the slowing traffic ahead. He should have been gently slowing down before the car moved into his lane just based on what was ahead.

That autobahn rider above has mad emergency brake skillz! Eek

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Went back second by second to see what happens since we have several saying he didn't brake, or braked too late

If the stopping power of the bike is such crap, that only serves to deepen his onus in the collision. He was out driving the ability of his bike to stop relative to the traffic around him.

There are multiple layers of swiss cheese that lined up to result in this collision. The only ones the rider can control is his speed and awareness of the cars around him.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The stopping power isn't crap, that wasn't the point I was trying to make which is heavy bikes are not going to stop like racing bikes some folks ride, 700 pounds to 400 pounds, even the sport bikes brakes would have double the mass to deal with if you stuck them on that Harley.

I still am not sure he was at high speed, the impact wasn't one of a massive amount of speed, and he walked away, it appears that the differential is the slowed down traffic in the other lanes that make him appear to be going fast

If you have ever been in an hov lane next to slow or stalled traffic you are moving way faster than traffic to your right and you wonder when some nitwit will pull this move on you regardless what you are driving

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Reportedly there's a shot in the video that shows he was doing 80 mph.
Another article said the car was a rental and the driver skipped the insurance.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the stopping power of the bike is such crap, that only serves to deepen his onus in the collision.

So if you don't have six pot Brembo duals on your bike, and somebody illegally enters your lane causing a collision, it's your fault?

Roll Eyes

Look, the speed thing he should have monitored better. I'll give you that one. But that solid yellow line clearly indicates who is right or wrong. However, much like the "gun free zone" signs, it's just an indicator, and not a barrier to encroachment.

As for car drivers, an emergency or sudden stop in front of the driver does not give license to start using whatever portion of other lanes he feels like.

If you swerve to avoid a deer in your lane and hit a truck parked in the break-down lane, tell me who gets the ticket? Both lanes go the same direction, and in most cases you could probably get away with it and avoid a collision. But that doesn't make it legal, and it won't keep you from getting a ticket.

Also, the advice to ride further over in the lane is dead wrong. "Defend your lane" is what we used to preach at MSF courses. You ride within your lane, not outside of it, but don't cower to the side. If you're already next to the shoulder or barricade (left or right depending) when a threat presents itself, where are you going to go with an evasive maneuver? Think about it. If you're near the inside line, you've got a smidge of room to dip out. If you're already at the outside edge, all you've got left is brakes and prayers.

Posts: 10761 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you're riding in the HOV lane you do have to be aware of traffic outside the lane because often traffic will also slow in the HOV lane, but it looks like the guy in the car was just oblivious and made the lane change illegally and without looking to see if it was clear. Of course when you're riding a bike having the law on your side doesn't trump being dead.

I also think the video is somewhat deceiving in regards to the closing/differential speed. I'd say he scrubbed off quite a bit of speed before the impact based on the fact that he only landed on the trunk.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post