SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've been listening to ABBA for the past hour and a half while doing my books.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been listening to ABBA for the past hour and a half while doing my books. Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
More news about the upcoming 'concert': ABBA 'Voyage'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Listened to Ring Ring yesterday. Then listened to it in Swedish. Not shamed to admit I listened to it a third time.

I’m off to work on the wallboard in the shop. Now where’s that Bee Gees best-of CD?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, I'd rather listen to Disco than to the current generation of hip-hop rap-crap noise today.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I like their breakthrough song Waterloo, like Ring Ring and also Summer Night City

they were a nice break because they didn't sound like anyone else at the time

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Liked the tour videos when crowd kept yelling for Agentha to turn around and show her butt.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
They can get into your head and you can't shake it.
A = Agnetha
B = Björn
B = Benny
A = Anni-Frid

I always thought Chiquitita was about a Banana.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Come to think of it, I'd rather listen to Disco than to the current generation of hip-hop rap-crap noise today.

Kind of like choosing between a kick in the nuts or a poke in eye with a sharp stick.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I saw this today. I did not know this!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I saw this today. I did not know this!

I don't think this is correct. She was born in 1945 in Narvik, Norway to a Norwegian mother and a German sergeant who was a member of the occupying forces. She is Norwegian-German by descent. He left when the Germans evacuated Norway in 1945 and she, her grandmother and her mother moved to Sweden to avoid being treated as collaborators.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Time to rewatch Mamma Mia Here We Go Again...again. Much better than the first one IMO with far less Meryl Streep (always a good thing).

Been a fan of ABBA since I was a kid.

One of my favorites:

And, I dare you not to tap your foot to Dancing Queen:

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think this is correct. She was born in 1945 in Narvik, Norway to a Norwegian mother and a German sergeant who was a member of the occupying forces. She is Norwegian-German by descent. He left when the Germans evacuated Norway in 1945 and she, her grandmother and her mother moved to Sweden to avoid being treated as collaborators.

Several sources seem to confirm that the story is true:
https://timeline.com/the-nazi-...b82fdc?gi=a7eafc1539

Excerpt:

What is clear is the trauma suffered by children who were part of the program. After the war, Lebensborn became social outcasts both inside and outside of Germany. At the time, single, unmarried mothers were seen as social misfits, and in occupied countries, those who had engaged in sexual relationships with German soldiers were seen as traitors.

Take, for example, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, who was born in 1945 after her Norwegian mother had a relationship with a Nazi sergeant. Though Lyngstad was given her mother’s surname, she was branded a Tyskerbarnas, or German child, and her mother became an outcast. The family later emigrated to Sweden, where Lyngstad grew up lonely and isolated.

When she was 22, she entered and won a Swedish talent contest; by the time ABBA formed, she had multiple number one hits. After her time with ABBA, one of history’s most recognizable and best-selling pop groups, Lyngstad became a princess by marriage.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but that's not Lebensborn. That's consorting/collaborating with the enemy.

Lebensborn was an organized plan to breed more Aryans, mostly by SS members.

Anna-Frid's mother was just doing what 1000s of other women did during the war.Selling something to make life a little easier under occupation.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why her lineage is even being discussed. A person has zero control over who conceives them, and it shouldn’t matter if her father was Hitler himself.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
It's just a point of interest. No one is denigrating or blaming her. It has no bearing on her success or talent as an entertainer.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t understand why her lineage is even being discussed. A person has zero control over who conceives them, and it shouldn’t matter if her father was Hitler himself.

Because I had not heard the name ABBA mentioned in a decade and the day that I read this thread, the history pic I posted came up in my feed. From zero mentions in a decade to two mentions in a day. It's an interesting factoid. Nothing more.

- John Adams

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ok fair enough.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you can listen to Dancing Queen without belting out the chorus once, you got problems yo.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you can listen to Dancing Queen without belting out the chorus once, you got problems yo.

This old man then has problems. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post