SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You know that low hand wave that two motorcycle riders give when they meet on the road?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know that low hand wave that two motorcycle riders give when they meet on the road? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Waaaaay back, in the 1950s, when it was rare to see a VW, we used to wave.

Actually, mine had the semaphore type turn signals, so I used to hit the switch and flip the turn signal arm up and down.

Yep, my Dad always had bugs when I was growing up. I remember him doing this.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I was really big into MINIS for a few years, and one of the things we’d do is flash our headlights, honk, and/or wave. If one was parked in a parking lot, you’d park your MINI next to the other so they could visit.

After the quirkiness wore off and MINIS were everywhere, I’m sure a lot of that MINI culture has ended. I met some of the best people during my MINI years.

When my wife got her '06 S it was still pretty common. 20+ model years on they're too plentiful now; though she got her first wave in years a few weeks ago.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

I wave to all bikers. Most wave back. Most that don’t ride Harley’s. I guess I don’t have the official dew rag they hand out to new riders.

I too wave to all bikers, in most cases it's the Harley riders who return the wave, and I'm kind of the exception around here, I ride a Harley, but I wear a helmet, most HD riders don't around here.

Sport bike riders rarely wave.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are holding on for dear life! LOL

Wave is common hear, not everyone HD or not returns it. Same when I've had corvettes, the wave is common courtesy.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

LOL... hard to top this one. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If I see one of my cars on the road I will literally stop and have a conversation with them, but I've only seen three or four on the road since I've owned my car for the last 2.5 years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many Corvette drivers use the “Corvette Wave” with other Vette drivers. Most return the wave. Some don’t.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:

Maybe that's regional. Here in the southeast USA, we wave all the time.

The "low" hand wave (from sport bikers) doesn't have any special tribal meaning beyond
" at >55mph, I won't get my hand&arm blown back over my shoulder", or "in this heavy traffic, I'll probably need it back on the grip when some a-hole cager turns left in front of me."

Not so important if you're just cruising with hands on ape hangers.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sportbike riders around here wave it’s the wannabe pirates, cosplay dudes and scooter drunks who rarely wave back. I have countered this by waving at them as obnoxiously and goofy as I can. (think Forest Gump waving at Lieutenant Dan) Sometimes they even wave back. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I dunno, it always felt kind of silly to me, we have no relationship, no kinship. lol When I was still riding, I would always politely wave back, but would never initiate. Besides, my bikes were in between, not a sports bike, not a Harley-type.

As for the Jeep wave, it's really uncommon here. I suppose because there are so many of them. Sometimes on my drive home from work I will count them, I've seen as many as 13 on the short 2.75 mile drive. (and I'm not talking Liberties or other Jeep products, just real "Jeeps") Again I have no kinship with you. If you're keeping some 35+ year old piece of junk on the road, maybe. At least I known some of your pain. But other than a sort of similar shape and a nearly irrelevant name, my jeep has nothing in common with your 2020 JK.

Mostly I just avoid eye contact now. lol

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I wave at Harley riders, and usually get a return. If I give them a thumbs up and cup my ear, they'll give me a nice rumble when they go by.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Slingshot (a three wheeler) a few years ago and I was surprised people on motorcycles wont usually wave. I have had 21 bikes but I am too old now for a two wheeler.

If you do the low wave in a slingshot you will drag your hand on the ground,

Posts: 580 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That special secret motorcycle wave seems exhausting to me, it would get old real quick IMO

I watched a guy in front of me once on a motorcycle have to gesture nearly nonstop for miles he kept passing so many cycles.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confirmation on the Subi wave. It's one of the things I miss most about not driving a WRX anymore!

quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
I can tell you that the Subi wave is a thing ✌ is real.
I get a lot of them driving my WRX.

ARman

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post