SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You know that low hand wave that two motorcycle riders give when they meet on the road?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know that low hand wave that two motorcycle riders give when they meet on the road? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Driving around Boston I see a variety of different waves - none look that friendly

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Way back in the day(1950-60s) the folks driving sports cars (MG AH Triumph) used to flash their headlights (in the daytime) to other sports car drivers.........truckers would sometimes do the same to the little cars.

1st gen Miatas had the Miata wave. Pop the headlights up/down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Waaaaay back, in the 1950s, when it was rare to see a VW, we used to wave.

Actually, mine had the semaphore type turn signals, so I used to hit the switch and flip the turn signal arm up and down.

That made me chuckle. In 1969 I bought a VW bug, light blue, there were a few people that waved at me even then. Of course, I always waved back. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Down South, the truck wave is a regular thing.

All over rural America, my friend

Posts: 13296 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I had my first wave not too long ago from a off roaded-out 4runner. I found it odd since mine is bone stock.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Minivan owners everywhere appreciate sweet rims.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Zulu:
The Jeep wave is a thing. I asked my buddy who also dives a CJ if we are supposed to wave at Wrangler drivers. He said, "Sure, just make them wave first."

OZ

I keep on throwing it and it works for me maybe half the time... But my Jeep is a '89 Comanche...

Believe it or not, some Harley riders will cast the wave at me when in my Miata if the top is down... another Miata owner on the Miata forum once noted it was a kindred spirit, open air type of thing.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I went to high school in the panhandle of Nebraska. It was common to wave at everyone on the highway. On a 4 hour trip, you may have waved to two other people.

I wave to all bikers. Most wave back. Most that don’t ride Harley’s. I guess I don’t have the official dew rag they hand out to new riders.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A fellow Kia Telluride motorist waved at me in the parking lot last Tuesday, but I don’t know if that qualifies as a thing.

Jeep wave? Back when I drove a CJ7, fellow Jeep drivers flashed their headlights at each other. That was back in the days when Rolls Royce passengers would ask each other if they had any Grey Poupon, so maybe it’s changed.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Stop. It. Now Black92 will have some sage commentary on his experience driving his Sienna. Big Grin Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We S2000 drivers simply put a hand straight up ‘cause our convertible top is always down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4237 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We S2000 drivers simply put a hand straight up ‘cause our convertible top is always down.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Way back in the day(1950-60s) the folks driving sports cars (MG AH Triumph) used to flash their headlights (in the daytime) to other sports car drivers.........truckers would sometimes do the same to the little cars.

Porsche 911 drivers still do it. Especially older Porsches.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
When I had my Miata, there was a Miata Wave. Preety prevalent wherever I went.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Stop. It. Now Black92 will have some sage commentary on his experience driving his Sienna. Big Grin Eek

I am jealous of the Sienna in my Grand Caravan…

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was really big into MINIS for a few years, and one of the things we’d do is flash our headlights, honk, and/or wave. If one was parked in a parking lot, you’d park your MINI next to the other so they could visit.

After the quirkiness wore off and MINIS were everywhere, I’m sure a lot of that MINI culture has ended. I met some of the best people during my MINI years.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

We S2000 drivers simply put a hand straight up ‘cause out convertible top is always down.
I had a 1950 Studebaker convertible with a top that was always down. Couldn't put it up because one of the frame hinge pieces was broken.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Out on the farm roads driving trucks and tractors with no power steering on bumpy roads, the wave was raising one index finger. Nothing special about it, but it took two hands to keep going straight, you just couldn't take a hand off the wheel for a proper wave. I still see that wave out here in the country today.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you get a rider on a sport touring bike or adventure bike wearing fancy leathers to wave back you get a patch.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Out on the farm roads driving trucks and tractors with no power steering on bumpy roads, the wave was raising one index finger. Nothing special about it, but it took two hands to keep going straight, you just couldn't take a hand off the wheel for a proper wave. I still see that wave out here in the country today.

My dad and other men his age did the pointer finger acknowledgment. More often on rural roads, but sometimes in town too.

Posts: 402 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post