SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a good place to get tires? Update on OP with pics…
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a good place to get tires? Update on OP with pics… Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Update: went with the local guy, Radial Tire Company that was offered by jprebb, excellent people to deal with, and given I’m 2.5 hours away from a Discount tire with no traffic I felt good going this route.

Owner recommended Vredestein Pinza AT tires. After searching the internet they seemed to get really good reviews and were 400$ or so cheaper than the popular Toyo, Falken, or BFGs.

It’s looking like every place online is VERY similarly priced for the two I’m looking at. Within a few dollars of each other.

Is there some lesser known places? Wait for Holiday sales? What’s the trick?

Never bought tires online so I’m not real sure if Google is deceiving me or it’s really that simple on pricing.

Looking at KO2 and Wildpeaks AT/3 or however they write it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6351 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Choose based on quality service Discount Tire.

I won’t buy from anybody else.

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco is a good place. Tire Rack is another if you're willing to buy online......etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
TireRack for research, Discount to purchase.
Haven't tried Costco but will shop them when either of ours is due next.

Have bought from TireRack before, when I didn't have a discount nearby/convenient.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15405 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm disinclined to buy online anything I can buy locally for a reasonable price. Discount Tire has always treated me right, so that's where our vehicles go for new shoes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I shop
Amazon
Discount Tire Direct
Tire Rack
Simple Tire

I then give my local place the opportunity to beat the price.
So far 3 out of 4 times they have.

I also shop Sam’s, Walmart, and Costco for standard size tires.
None of those outfits will install oversized tires.

While those two tires you have listed are good. I highly advise looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT and Baja Legend EXP.
Dependent upon the level of aggressive tire you want. Both have much better road manners than the two you have listed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25458 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a quote today from a local tire shop for $1650. Four tires, mounted, balanced, installed. Checked my local Sam’s Club; $1195 for same tires, same services. I figure that since they employ local tech’s I’m still supporting local.

Posts: 102 | Location: Southwest Fl | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
discount for both pricing/support after the sale!

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I do the same - I will buy from my local shop if they can match the installed price from Tire Rack; match in this case includes some reasonable amount over the TR installed price (but note that sometimes the local price will actually beat the TR installed price).

To date (for the past 20 years across various cars), local shop always came out on top.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire would be my first choice. Costco isn't bad.

I'm focusing on "who's going to install them correctly and not screw up my car" though, not price.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2275 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not bought tires from anyone but Discount Tire in years.

Posts: 931 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Costco, good prices and they are everywhere when/if you need service later on.

I was a loyal Sams Club member for the same reason as Costco untill my wife worked for them for 15 years and got screwed over. Won't step foot in another Sams Club.

Posts: 18054 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always look for rebates. Usually fall and spring manufacturers run rebates that can save quite a bit.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Discount Tire. They always treat us right.

Posts: 4027 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire. Outstanding service, and they have always price-matched for me if I found the same tire for a lower price.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30756 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Discount Tire bought Tire Rack a few years ago.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
One of my priorities re: tires is the mount & balance. I want the balancing to be done on a Hunter 'Road Force' Balancer...NO Exceptions! I almost exclusively buy my tires online and periodically check the Hunter Engineering website to confirm any changes/updates on which shops have my preferred balancer. This usually ends up costing me a little more if I'm buying the tires online, but it's worth it to me to get the best balance possible! The shop(s) I've used provide VERY good top quality service, plus the shitty shops won't even have that balancer anyway, so I've never ever had to deal with one!

Another thing to consider re: the tire purchase is Road Hazard Replacement Protection. TireRack includes this in the price of the tires, and two years ago, I had took advantage of the coverage! I drove to Boston on a brand new set of tires (literally left the shop, and headed to Boston), and destroyed a sidewall of one tire in a parking garage due to the directions of an imbecile parking attendant! Mad I ordered a new tire from Tire Rack the next day, sent them a couple of pics, and they refunded 100% of the cost of the replacement! Other than that, I've never had any need/use for the Road Hazard Warranty in this century! YMMV Wink

Believe it or not, within the last year, I've actually purchased two sets of tires from Walmart.com! With the FJB Global Supply Chain Issues AND Inflation, Walmart.com EASILY had the best price on the tires I wanted and delivered them to my house in just a couple of days! I'll need two add'l sets of tires this spring, and I'll DEFINITELY be checking Walmart when I'm ready to purchase. I've purchased a couple of sets of winter tires locally from a Tire Chain that has the Hunter Road Force Machine, but other than that, I've purchased all of my tires from Tire Rack going back to 1999.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8977 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire.

Posts: 997 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I always use tirebuyer.com.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post