SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a good place to get tires? Update on OP with pics…
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a good place to get tires? Update on OP with pics… Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire because of the service during and after the sale. While most places repair tires now, Discount will repair tires even if you didn’t buy it from them. They say “we hope you buy your next set from us.” In Florida, Action Gator Tire is a pretty good chain.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire has serviced my vehicles for more than 20 years. I am fully supportive of them. Once your vehicle is in their computer, every store in the country is able to access the data and make replacements, etc.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I use a local independent tire shop most of the time. Prices are comparable to what I can find online. They don't have much in stock but they get them in a day or two. Service is great. I bought tires from Costco one time. I was happy with the prices and service, but they're in a pretty inconvenient location for me. They also didn't have a big selection in the size I needed, and I ended up buying tires that weren't my first choice. We don't have a Discount Tires nearby, but I've always heard good things about them.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Twenty years or so ago I bought my tires at a small local dealer. The shop changed hands and the new group wasn't as good to deal with. Prices went up and it seemed like they tried to steer me to what they wanted to sell instead of what I wanted to buy.

So for the last 20 years it's been Discount Tire. Complete satisfaction. Price on last set was the same as Tire Rack. They will order any tires you want and have them within days.

If you have time to wait around for rebates, you may be able to save some money. Usually, when I need tires, I don't want to wait.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You can get tires thru the exchange, they are shipped to you or your local tire guy for install.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Discount tire has always been good to me, also I just put some Hankook Dynapro AT2 xtreme's on and they ride like road tires.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You can get tires thru the exchange, they are shipped to you or your local tire guy for install.

Navy Exchange?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Where in Maryland do you live? There's an excellent little shop in Silver Spring called Radial Tire Company. They do tons of volume so they have very good prices. I've been a loyal customer for over 20 years!

Edited to add this link. 5 Stars on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/radia...pany-silver-spring-2

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

Navy Exchange?

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

You have to search auto parts-then go thru another wall.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Costco and Simple Tire.

Costco puts BFG on sale 3-4 times a year as well as Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin.

Simple Tire was exactly that when I purchased some Kenda’s for my wrangler. They scheduled my installation and shipped my tires to a local shop that then gave me discounted installation price. Pretty simple.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a high mileage driver and have four vehicles. Tires have a life of six to eight years after the date of manufacture printed on the side of the tire. I insist on "fresh tires" with recent dates. I've had very bad experiences with some of the sellers who are peddling tires that were made two years ago. That doesn't give me enough time to wear them out before they "age out". My GM dealer runs a good sale Spring and Fall and sends back any tires that are over six months old. Buyer be ware.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

Navy Exchange?

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

You have to search auto parts-then go thru another wall.

Tires can also be purchased thru the V.A. Canteen. https://shopvcs.va.gov/

Posts: 7023 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Discount Tires. They're usually running rebates all the time as well.

They bought out Tire Rack awhile back I believe.

I got my last two sets locally at Discount Tire on my car and daughter's car. I did buy a set of snow tires and wheels direct from Tire Rack this winter.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire has always been good to me. Recently, I picked up a screw in a tire I bought from them five years ago. They pulled the tire, patched it, remounted it and I was out of there in less than twenty minutes, no charge.

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My last two purchases have been with Discount and I'm very satisfied. Another option would be Tire Rack and use one of their installers.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3408 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've only bought from Discount Tire in the last 30 years. I usually do a cursory check on prices from other places. Sams, Costco, Tire Rack and Wal-Mart. I've never seen a big enough difference in price from Discount Tire, and these retailers do not have the product selection DC offers.

Free tire repair, free drive in air check (although you don't need to have bought from them for this service) Quick service of which I've never had an issue. High Speed and Road Force balancing. What's not to like.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire. They will even fix your flat for FREE even if you did not buy your tires from them. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3072 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Discount Tire has always been good to me. Recently, I picked up a screw in a tire I bought from them five years ago. They pulled the tire, patched it, remounted it and I was out of there in less than twenty minutes, no charge.
I've had similar experiences with DT on three occasions over the years. That's the other reason DT is the only place I go for tires.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Based on threads here over the years I go to Costco.

People say good things about Discount Tires too, but the nearest one to me is 30 minutes away while there’s a Costco 5 minutes away.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6428 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've had similar experiences with DT on three occasions over the years. That's the other reason DT is the only place I go for tires.
I bought a set of DuraTracks for the Tacoma that cost $200 each. I opted not to pay for road hazard. In less than a couple thousand miles, I ran over a jagged piece of steel and destroyed a tire.

I took it back to DT, expecting to pay full price for a replacement. I got the bad news that Goodyear had discontinued the exact version for my set, so I might wind up with a mismatch. But the guys told me they would search their other branches to see if they could find one.

Lucky me. They found one in a DT about a hundred miles away and had it shipped in. They mounted, balanced, and put it back on the truck. When I asked "How much?" (expecting the answer to be in the $200+ range) they replied "20 Bucks ought to do it."

Yes, I am a loyal customer.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post