SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russkies put a couple of missiles into Poland and kill two Poles.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russkies put a couple of missiles into Poland and kill two Poles. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Different context.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A co-worker just messaged me a YT video with the title "World War 3 Just Started". Told her it's what the war mongers want, and they will hype up anything, but there will be no WW 3.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Q You are correct.I guess these folks did not live through the Cold war. I seriously doubt that Russia wants to stir up NATO.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
At times like this it's critical that there be private dialog between all the leaders to make clear where lines are drawn. I'm worried about this because who's going to represent the US, Biden? Kamala? Who's even in charge of our country?

It's been Obama all along.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Oopsie, or the commie version of oopsie.

What’s the NATO Secretary General saying?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

And...

Biden Unveils $37BN More In Emergency Ukraine Aid On Heels Of Polish Border 'Attack'
Tyler Durden's Photo

TUESDAY, NOV 15, 2022

At the close of a wild roller-coaster of a day following the alleged "Russian missile attack" on a Polish border town, and despite little to nothing in the way of official confirmation of just what happened or whodunnit, and urgent phone calls flying between Western heads of state pledging "solidarity" - it's perfect timing for the US to shovel out another nearly $40 billion to Ukraine...

"President Joe Biden is asking Congress to provide more than $37 billion in emergency aid to Ukraine, a massive infusion of cash that could help support the nation as Russian forces suffer battlefield losses in their nine-month-old invasion," Reuters is reporting late in the day.

Biden unveiled the proposed massive aid infusion while at the G20 summit in Bali, Indonesia. It was also announced just as President Biden held a phone call with Poland's President Andrzej Duda following the explosion in the village of Przewodów.

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...rder-attack-incident

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
^^^
That is what I've been hearing also.

Russia was launching missiles, Ukranian forces launched S-300 missiles to intercept.

If they don't hit what they are launched at, the S-300 has to come down somewhere...in this case in Poland

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
the S-300 has to come down somewhere

During the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, more local civilians were reported to have been killed by falling US antiaircraft shells than the number of Japanese airmen who were killed by the fire. That said, who was responsible for those civilian deaths? A gold star to you if you answered “the Japanese.”

https://militaryhistorynow.com...olulu-on-dec-7-1941/

During a first Gulf War briefing, one of the journalists asked what was being done to keep people on the ground from being injured by falling Scud missile wreckage when they were shot down by antimissile defenses. There truly is no limit to human stupidity.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Biden says the missile that hit Poland is unlikely to have come from Russia.

I'll post the video if I can.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Russia didn't intentionally attack a couple of Polish farmers working in their grain fields. If they wanted to "send Poland a message about their support of Ukraine", that isn't how they'd go about it.

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. We know how the Russians attack, and it's never piecemeal.

We need to back our NATO allies, but for goodness sake let cool heads prevail.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Every time I turn around these days, someone is yammering about "WORLD WAR THREE!!!!!!"

Just fucking stop it. Unless you want to be associated with fools, just stop it. People saying shit like this are really and truly ignorant and gullible.

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
During WW2, Switzerland was inadvertently bombed on seventy occasions by Allied bomber formations who thought they were striking Germany. It didn't lead to an international crisis. Both sides understood that shit happens in war, and the risk is even higher to the nearby neighbors of belligerents.

(Though after WW2, the US government paid Switzerland $14.4 million - equivalent to $222 million today - in reparations for the damage and deaths caused by the mistakes.)

There was a German town on the border that disobeyed Berlin's orders to black-out, and as a result escaped the war unscathed, as allied bombers assumed it was a Swiss village.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shit happens whenever people are involved in anything, even more so when they're in conflict. Whoever launched the actual missiles, the Russians either launched or caused them to be launched. The Russians would be smart to write out a check to the families involved before the week is out, because the Poles have millions of reasons from 1939 to want to shoot back.

Anybody that thinks that 1939 is too long to hold a grudge needs to talk to some farmer in Georgia (the state, not the nation) about what happened to his great-grandpappy's farm during the War of Northern Aggression. Or talk to Irishmen still struggling with the landgrab by James I of England. You can find plenty of them in the Appalachians, still pissed off about a wrong done thousands of miles and hundreds of years away.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for the "calm it down quickly" plan. Whoever heard of a government doing the smart thing?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Back in the closing days of the Cold War I heard this gem:

A Polish farmer is out tilling his land. Bonk! To his surprise he pulls up a genie bottle from the ground. Genie pops out, says you know who I am and what you get. Farmer thinks for a second, and wishes for the Chinese army to invade Poland. Genie looks at him for a second and then says your wish is my command. The Chinese army invades, blows up a bunch of stuff, then leaves.

The Genie asks what does the farmer want for a second wish. Farmer thinks for a second, and wishes for the Chinese army to invade Poland. Genie is a bit shocked, but then says OK. The Chinese army rolls in, anything left standing the first time is knocked over. And they leave.

Genie is now hesitant, but asks for a third wish. Farmer thinks for a second, and wishes for the Chinese army to invade Poland. The Genie snaps his fingers, and the Chinese come in and do their thing and leave. Poland is now 4" of mud from border to border.

Genie looks at the farmer and says I just gave you three wishes, and you had the Chinese invade 3 times. Why??? The farmer replies "Because the Chinese army had to go through Russia 6 times"

The S-300 was launched in response to a Russian missile barrage. Cooler heads will prevail on NATO's side. But this will not be forgotten.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Something I learned in a war zone. There are all kinds of shit flying around, and you could get killed by a random piece of it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Something I learned in a war zone. There are all kinds of shit flying around, and you could get killed by a random piece of it.

That’s exactly right. My own anecdotal observations log about a 60/40 split between actual hostile action and some kind of oopsie/friendly fire incident. Both equally dangerous.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Perhaps take a breath and wait a minute before posting shit that “unnamed sources in U.S. intelligence” and the Ukrainian government are spreading in hopes of drawing the United States and NATO into this war.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, so now that we've had a chance to learn some of the facts about this missile incident- or, more precisely, find out the claims about this are not fact, maybe people will ease off on the knee-jerk "IT'S THE START OF WWIII!!!" stupidity. Roll Eyes

When are we going to learn to approach all these breathless stories with much skepticism? When are we going to learn that the propagandists in the news media and in the US and foreign governments and their respective militaries lie to us whenever it suits their purpose?

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://thehill.com/policy/def...ut-was-unsuccessful/

Milley tried to speak with Russian counterpart on Tuesday but was ‘unsuccessful’

BY ELLEN MITCHELL - 11/16/22 3:33 PM ET

Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley attempted to speak with his Russian counterpart on Tuesday following a missile-caused explosion in Poland but was unable to get through, the top military official revealed Wednesday.

Milley said his staff tried to connect him with Russian Gen. Valery Gerasimov but they were “unsuccessful in getting me linked up.”

He instead spoke several times with his Ukrainian counterpart, with his Polish counterpart and with other chiefs of defense in Europe, Milley told reporters at the Pentagon

U.S. officials are still waiting on more information as to the exact origin of a Soviet-era missile that struck within Poland’s borders on Tuesday, killing two.

Initial assessments from Poland and NATO suggest that the armament was likely a Ukrainian air defense missile that unintentionally struck near the Ukrainian-Polish border in the village of Przewodów.

The incident occurred as Russia began a renewed missile barrage on Ukraine, pounding civilian targets and energy infrastructure ahead of winter.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, speaking alongside Milley on Wednesday, said the Pentagon was still gathering information but has “seen nothing that contradicts [Polish President Andrzej Duda’s] preliminary assessment that this explosion was most likely the result of a Ukrainian air defense missile that unfortunately landed in Poland.”

He added that whatever the final conclusion “the world knows that Russia bears ultimate responsibility for this incident.”

Tuesday’s incident put Western leaders on edge and set off a flurry of calls and meeting between top officials after it appeared that Russia’s attacks on Ukraine had spilled beyond its borders and risked widening the conflict — a long-held concern among NATO members, of which Poland is one.

But the new assessments that emerged Wednesday appeared to calm worries that the strike would cause the nearly nine-month war to escalate, as it didn’t appear Russia had deliberately targeted Poland. Such an occurrence may have drawn NATO into the conflict under Article 5 of the alliance’s treaty, which states that an attack against one member is viewed as an attack on all.

The Polish government, aided with U.S. experts, is now investigating the explosion, and Austin said Washington has “full confidence” in the inquiry.

“They’ve been conducting that investigation in a professional and deliberate manner, and so we won’t get ahead of their work. We’re going to stay in close touch with our Polish counterparts as well as with our NATO allies and other valued partners,” Austin said.

The Pentagon leaders also touched on Russia’s current efforts in its war on Ukraine, with Milley calling Moscow’s latest barrage of between 60 and 100 missiles “likely the largest wave of missiles that we’ve seen since the beginning of the war” and a “war crime.”

“The deliberate targeting of the civilian power grid, causing excessive collateral damage and unnecessary suffering on the civilian population, is a war crime,” Milley said.

The top general, who earlier on Wednesday met virtually with the Pentagon-led Ukraine Contact Group, also pushed for Ukraine to receive more air defense capabilities, weapons he called “critical” for Ukraine’s future successes.

In addition, Milley stressed that Moscow has failed “every single” objective in the conflict.

“It’s clear that the Russian will to fight does not match the Ukrainian will to fight,” Milley said. “The Russians have failed every single time. They’ve lost strategically, they’ve lost operationally and, I repeat, they lost tactically. What they’ve tried to do, they failed at.”

But he also allowed that “militarily kicking the Russians physically out of Ukraine is a very difficult task” and one that the Ukrainian military will not likely accomplish “anytime soon,” though there may be a political alternative to end the conflict.

“The Russian military is really hurting bad. So you want to negotiate at a time when you’re at your strength and your opponent is at weakness,” Milley said. “It’s possible, maybe, that there’ll be a political solution. All I’m saying is there’s a possibility for it. That’s all I’m saying.”

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post