SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Making a Shillelagh...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a Shillelagh... Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I just purchased one of the fighting style walking sticks from Olde Shillelagh a couple of days ago. They aren't cheap, but they are the real deal and you can get one to match your height. You may have to wait a while, like I did, but at that price point you wan it to be right.

They have quite a selection of different styles, clubs, cudgels, staffs, fighting sticks, and walking sticks. What I bought was a special fighting/walking stick combo.

At the very bottom of this link is the item I bought 92G.
https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/specials

Here is a link to the home page.

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Update on my stick.

Pulled out the handy-dandy Ryobi 18v jigsaw did some eyeball calculations on how tall I want it and removed 1 7/8” from the end, about 1/4” above the “factory” end cap.

Cut by eyeballing it, measured what I cut off after the fact. Cleaned the cut up and leveled it with my handy-dandy Ryobi 18v grinder.

Installed a rubber walker tip (1 1/8” shaft size, 4 for $6.50 at Amazon fit perfectly) and we are good to go. Fits snug, looks “factory” and resolves the issue of slipping on smooth surface.

Still undecided if I want to change the “grip”. The wood tone head is very smooth, but adds a nice contrasting look. Trying to decide if I want to roughen it up or put something on it to improve the grip. I am thinking maybe some “Plasti-dip” spray or similar.

Satisfied so much with the cane/walking stick that I also now have the 59” walking “staff” version as well.

My plan for it is to drill the tip to use a tripod “spike” for walking trails.

One of these...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
The only week point with this stick is the decorative lighter colored wood grain at the knob.

I had to glue mine back on with super glue after the stick fell out of my Tahoe and hit the pavement.

Because I am tall I hit the pharmacy and bought the rubber foot and that made it so it didn't slip, but also gave it an extra 1/2 inch in height that I needed.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the faux wood grip might look with some stippling to improve grip friction???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
“Upgraded” my Cold Steel Black Thorn Walking Staff this morning.

Eyeballed for the center of the end (ended up just a touch off) and drilled a 1/8” pilot hole.

Followed up with a 5/16” hole about 1” deep.

Pulled the rubber cap off the spike and chucked the spike into my drill and carefully screwed it in to the 5/16” hole effectively self-taping with the spike’s threads.

Perfectly tight fit, put rubber cap back on and now it is good to go on hard or slick surfaces and if in the woods (or an altercation) where a little more “bite” is needed, the rubber cap comes off to expose a robust brass spike.