SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear Spray - Pepper Spray, Etc
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Spray - Pepper Spray, Etc Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This thread may have some additonal responses.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/2180021844/p/1

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only issue with it that I can see is that it only comes in large cans that are impractical to carry around.
^^ THIS ^^

It's mental masturbation to debate bear spray vs regular pepper spray for the OP. 99.9% of women are not going to lug around a 8 to 10 ounce fire extinguisher size container of bear spray in the city (when I lived in Alaska, I could barely get a woman to lug around bear spray hiking in Grizzly bear country). Probably won't even lug around a 2 ounce can of pepper spray. The 0.54 ounce spray (i.e. the one I linked earlier) or 0.75 ounce spray is much more likely to be actually carried.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's mental masturbation to debate bear spray vs regular pepper spray for the OP. 99.9% of women are not going to lug around a 8 to 10 ounce fire extinguisher size container of bear spray in the city (when I lived in Alaska, I could barely get a woman to lug around bear spray hiking in Grizzly bear country). Probably won't even lug around a 2 ounce can of pepper spray. The 0.54 ounce spray (i.e. the one I linked earlier) or 0.75 ounce spray is much more likely to be actually carried.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nope. You are thinking like a Purdue engineer. Repackage it like perfume or feminine hygiene product and it will be carried forever in their purse.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Repackage it like perfume or feminine hygiene product and it will be carried forever in their purse.

Where it will never be useful because they won't have fast access to it when needed. Excuse me Mr. Mugger. Please stand over there while I dump my purse out and locate my spray.

Sometimes I feel that these measures are actually doing more harm than good as they are giving people a false sense of security which may cause them to be a bit more brave than normal. I'm no longer going to have somebody walk me to my car. I'll go alone because I have my spray, buried in my purse, where I can't get it. Now I'm easier prey for the bad guy.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about your friend and have said a prayer for her speedy recovery. We bought Freeze +P based on recommendations here. Just make sure the containers are "not more than two ounces" here in Florida.

That is in the definitions under Florida Statute 790.001(3b)
(b) “Tear gas gun” or “chemical weapon or device” means any weapon of such nature, except a device known as a “self-defense chemical spray.” “Self-defense chemical spray” means a device carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical.

Here's a link Amazon link for FREEZE +P

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I feel that these measures are actually doing more harm than good as they are giving people a false sense of security which may cause them to be a bit more brave than normal. I'm no longer going to have somebody walk me to my car. I'll go alone because I have my spray, buried in my purse, where I can't get it. Now I'm easier prey for the bad guy.

I agree. It is kind of like the person who buys a gun for protection and does not get any training. I spent considerable time with my daughters teaching situational awareness. She eventually declined the OC spray and altered her behavior to minimize her exposure to threats. She took Kick Boxing lessons though and does have some skills.

Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes, guys.

Posts: 743 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Hope your friend heals fast and glad she'll be ok. Used Defense Technologies some years ago and now Sabre Red. The stream version.

Posts: 450 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Not intending to sidetrack the thread (though "etc" is in the title), I'd like to ask about "noisy things."
By that I mean these "personal alarms," -- pull-the-pin noise makers, so to speak. Here's an example.

GF asked just a moment ago about these devices, as a possible alternative to chemical sprays.

At first glance, it seems like a good idea. I like the idea of a noisemaker over a spray, in that it attempts to get attention from others around, possibly bringing help in. It doesn't necessarily, however, drive an assailant away. In that, it seems that one benefit is traded for another.

Following a1abdj's point, it's a device that could likely end up in the bottom of a purse... that's understood. There would have to be some diligence about keeping it handy.

I also think this looks like something that might require two hands to operate -- one to hold the device, and one to pull the pin-cord. Aside from that, the device would have to be "anchored" to something like a belt or an item of clothing.

That's about as far as my thinking has gone right now. What are your thoughts, SF?
(By the way, here is a less-than-glowing review of the product, for what it's worth.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No electronic noise maker is going to make a loud enough noise in the proper frequency to draw attention. If someone is close enough to hear a tiny electronic siren, they'll already be close enough to hear you scream Rape! Rape!

You'll need an air horn or a ITW survival whistle (.99 on CountyComm.com) to make actual attention getting noise.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Understood. Good point. My thought with a whistle, though, was that it requires the user to actively use it. (Yes, pulling the pin on the electronic gadget is active too, but not like blowing a constant stream of air into the device.)

Having never participated in a kidnapping Wink -- only having seen them on TV and movies -- it seems that Mr BadGuy always puts a hand or a cloth over Ms Victim's mouth during the event, sort of precluding a scream or the use of a whistle.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post