SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gasoline prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gasoline prices Login/Join 
posted
Tell me, I’m not the only one who pays no attention to gasoline prices. When somebody asks me what gasoline costs in my part of town, I tell them I have no idea and they look at me like I have three heads. The way I see it, whatever the price is, you’re going to pay it, and I refuse to drive around and chase a savings of 6-10¢/gallon.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I only check one thing.

What is the price spread between 87 Octane and 93 Octane? I've seen it anywhere between an additional 60 and 120 cents.

Thinking that the 87 Octane is a baseline price, the other two are not. Got a good hunch that the 120 cent mark up is a place I'd rather not go to.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
But .. but $0.06 / gallon cheaper will save me $1.20 on a 20 gallon tank. I have to be able to pay my bills too! So I’ll drive to the neighboring town to take full advantage!

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Gasoline is a fungible commodity traded on NYMEX. The summer time (i.e. peak gasoline usage season) quote I look at is RBOB for historical and future prices. Its displayed price is per gallon without transportation costs, storage costs, and taxes.

What can a Sigforumite do:
  • use an app or website such as GasBuddy to make educated decision when filling up. The only difference between fungible gasoline is the additive package (essentially "Top Tier" vs generic). Use the brand filters to display the cheapest "Top Tier" gasoline or diesel. It's not worth driving out of your way for a penny a gallon, but I'm currently seeing $0.20 per gallon difference between top tiers in my area and occasionally I see $0.30 per gallon spread.
  • if you really have a strong opinion of gasoline prices being higher or lower than current future prices you can make an investment since it is a commodity traded on NYMEX. Going long means you're betting on it being higher and going short means you're betting on it being lower. Near as I can tell, no Sigforumite went long on gasoline futures in Spring or Summer '22 and missed out on a windfall since the futures price was consistently wrong.

Spring Gasoline Prices:
    The main regulation that impacts pricing every spring is that by June 1 every gas station must be selling low Reid Vapor Pressure gasoline (RBOB). Switching over tank by tank at refineries, storage facilities, distribution terminals, etc. is due by May 1st which means it starts weeks earlier. Nobody is going to put CBOB in a tank already turned over to RBOB so essentially this regulation creates an artificial inventory problem which drives up prices temporarily.

DISCLOSURES:
  • My employer sells gasoline, and I am prohibited from buying or selling refined product, crude oil, or natural gas futures.
  • I'm not an investment advisor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
    I only check one thing.

What is the price spread between 87 Octane and 93 Octane? I've seen it anywhere between an additional 60 and 120 cents.

Thinking that the 87 Octane is a baseline price, the other two are not. Got a good hunch that the 120 cent mark up is a place I'd rather not go to.
    It’s a 30 cent difference at both BJs and Sam’s Club near me. Since BJs has diesel 45 cents lower than anywhere else, I go there, fill up the truck, two 5 gallon diesel cans and four 5 gallon gas cans. That saves me $36 each time and a trip with my wife’s car. Plus I use my Sam’s Club card which gives me a 5% rebate on fuel purchases.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    I'm pretty much the same but I try and use Top Tier gas which usually means I fill up at Costco.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    My notion os gas prices is more driving by stations and noting the posted price rather than everyday fill-ups. I did remark to the chauffeur today that it seemed like prices are on the rise again, she agreed with my assessment. Thank you FJB!

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Tell me, I’m not the only one who pays no attention to gasoline prices

I guess it depends on how much gas you use, huh?

Posts: 22887 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 400m:
    The way I see it, whatever the price is, you’re going to pay it, and I refuse to drive around and chase a savings of 6-10¢/gallon.
    This is one thing.
    quote:
    Tell me, I’m not the only one who pays no attention to gasoline prices.
    This is something else entirely.

Of course I pay attention to gas prices. I imagine you do, too.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You need to balance distance and price...each person has their number depending on their vehicle. To flippantly think that gasoline prices are trivial or, not worth paying attention to, must be a luxury.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I buy at the same station every time which is always the cheapest. My wife can tell you the price of every station within 10 miles of our house.

I haven't paid attention to what it costs in many years. Since I know I'm getting it cheaper than any other station around I don't even concern myself with what it actually costs.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by corsair:
    You need to balance distance and price...each person has their number depending on their vehicle. To flippantly think that gasoline prices are trivial or, not worth paying attention to, must be a luxury.

Obviously, plus what para and 1s1k said above. For me I only buy it at Costco, it's top tier and either the cheapest around or within a penny.

Do I pay attention? No. I notice when it breaks $5 or $10 increments to fill up the tank ie $50 something to $60 something, etc.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    Same here.
    Don’t care. I fill up at particular stations using only top tier fuel and never BP.
    I don’t look for the sign and don’t look at the final cost.
    I get a receipt and tuck it in my door in the very unlikely event I were to get bad gas.

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Yep, I'm close to a Costco, so pretty much always fill up there and it tends to be the cheapest.

quote:
    Originally posted by mrvmax:
    I'm pretty much the same but I try and use Top Tier gas which usually means I fill up at Costco.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    I no longer fill up a full tank of gas like I always did. Gas prices have been like a bouncing ball for well over a year. Down 20 cents one day and up 20 cents another. I don’t know if the day I fill up then it will go up or down within a few days so I just don’t fill up all the way.

Every gas pump should have those stickers with Biden, Harris, and Peloci saying they did that.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conservative Behind
    Enemy Lines
    Picture of synthplayer
    posted Hide Post
    There's a chain of grocery stores here in California called "Safeway." Some of them sell gasoline, and they have the best prices anywhere. At the Safeway I frequent, there's a Shell gas station across the street.

Safeway: $3.79
    Shell: $4.79

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10702 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No More
    Mr. Nice Guy
    posted Hide Post
    I know that the local station in town is about a nickel more than the station 8 miles away, and the gas down in the valley by my kids' house is another 10 cents cheaper (but 35 miles further away). I could probably tell you within 20 cents what the local price is, maybe.

It isn't worth the miles on the car to go to the cheaper stations just for the gas. But I do keep in mind my expected travel plans and will fill up with the cheaper gas when practical.

Always a top-tier brand.

I prefer no-ethanol when I can get it for a reasonable price, but usually the price difference is much greater than the added mpg.

Posts: 9434 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SigMaverick
    posted Hide Post
    The gas station near my house regularly has 87 at 60 to 80 cents a gallon higher than the Costco that is 3-5 minutes away. I get empty-ish before I fill up.

A fill up easily gets to 25 gallons, even had a couple get over 30 in a 32 gallon tank.

If it's a Jackson I am saving on a single fill up, I will go the extra distance, or even better try to plan my purchase when I am heading that direction to begin with.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry, but you are paying attention to gas prices, even if you pretend you're not.

Q

Posts: 26317 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    I pay attention. When gas hit $5 a gallon, I switched my dashboard readout from Range to economy indicator. I accelerate only to where it's about to go outside of economy. I still drive like that now.

It's $3.20 a gallon now but that's 50% more than what I paid when the US was a net petroleum energy producer.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post