SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clarence Thomas is now the longest-serving SCOTUS Justice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clarence Thomas is now the longest-serving SCOTUS Justice Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“WASHINGTON (AP) — Clarence Thomas has been a Supreme Court justice for nearly three decades. It may finally be his moment.

Many Americans know Thomas largely from his bruising 1991 confirmation hearing, when he was accused of sexual harassment charges by former employee Anita Hill — charges he denied. People may know he’s a conservative and has gone years without speaking during arguments at the court. But scholars say it would be wise to pay closer attention to Thomas.

Thomas is now the longest-serving member of a court that has recently gotten more conservative, putting him in a unique and potentially powerful position, and he’s said he doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon. With President Donald Trump’s nominees Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh now on the court, conservatives are firmly in control as the justices take on divisive issues such as abortion, gun control and LGBT rights…”

https://apnews.com/fbb07af9d5254aecbbab9422faf405ba

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thomas is now the longest-serving member of a court that has recently gotten more conservative, putting him in a unique and potentially powerful position, and he’s said he doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon. With President Donald Trump’s nominees Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh now on the court, conservatives are firmly in control

"Firmly in control"? Roberts is trying hard to be Kennedy.

Q

Posts: 26521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thomas makes my top five I'd like to have dinner with list. He's pushing 80. While I'm a big fan he needs to retire so that seat is under the control of the right for a replacement. What is it about this job that people feel they have to die doing it?

Posts: 7555 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Thomas is now the longest-serving member of a court that has recently gotten more conservative, putting him in a unique and potentially powerful position, and he’s said he doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon. With President Donald Trump’s nominees Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh now on the court, conservatives are firmly in control

If only RBG would kick and President Trump could replace her with a solid conservative. That would render Roberts all but irrelevant when it came to voting. I look forward to that happening very soon.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
As much as I appreciate Thomas' time on the SCOTUS, he is 80 yo. Especially if Trump wins a 2nd term and hopefully holds on to the Senate, it might be prudent for Thomas to retire and give Trump another appointee.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Clarence Thomas is 70 years old. Born June 23, 1948.

Posts: 9752 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yes he voted with the activist justices on a few important cases but I don't believe he will ever be another Kennedy. He still pretty reliably votes with the other originalists but when when he breaks ranks with them it becomes headline news. He has been a consistent Second Amendment supporter. It will be interesting to see how the vote goes on the NYC case but I don't think SCOTUS would have taken it unless the others were still confident in justice Roberts on that and they would know better than anyone.

Posts: 9752 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post