SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kamala Harris denounces European explorers for ushering in 'wave of devastation' for Native Americans
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kamala Harris denounces European explorers for ushering in 'wave of devastation' for Native Americans Login/Join 
posted
I guess this is her cause now. I am sure that as a little girl the treatment of Native Americans greatly concerned her. I love the term INDIAN COUNTRY. I have to assume these are her words. Keep up the good work at the border, Kamala!!!

Vice President Kamala Harris denigrated the European explorers who discovered the Americas during a Tuesday speech at the National Congress of American Indians 78th Annual Convention.

"Since 1934, every October, the United States has recognized the voyage of the European explorers who first landed on the shores of the Americas," said Harris. "But that is not the whole story. That has never been the whole story.

"Those explorers ushered in a wave of devastation for Tribal nations — perpetrating violence, stealing land, and spreading disease," she continued. "We must not shy away from this shameful past, and we must shed light on it and do everything we can to address the impact of the past on Native communities today."

Harris also claimed that President Biden's Build Back Better agenda will have "a significant impact on Indian Country."

After citing the statistics of missing Native American women and girls and claiming the voting rights of Native Americans are suppressed, Harris said, "Native Americans are more likely to live in poverty, to be unemployed, and often struggle to get quality healthcare and to find affordable housing."

DESANTIS COLUMBUS DAY PROCLAMATION PUSHES BACK AGAINST THOSE WHO ‘DEFAME’ THE EXPLORER

"This persistent inequity, this persistent injustice is not right. And the pandemic has only made it worse," she added.

Harris said Biden's $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill will help many of the problems Native Americans face.

"This bill represents the largest infrastructure investment our nation has made since before World War II and presents, right now, an important opportunity to strengthen Indian Country," she said.

On Monday, Biden became the first president to mark the second Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples Day with a presidential proclamation.

"For generations, Federal policies systematically sought to assimilate and displace Native people and eradicate Native cultures," Biden wrote. "Today, we recognize Indigenous peoples’ resilience and strength as well as the immeasurable positive impact that they have made on every aspect of American society."

link: https://www.foxnews.com/politi...-wave-of-devastation

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
"Those explorers ushered in a wave of devastation for Tribal nations — perpetrating violence, stealing land, and spreading disease," she continued. "We must not shy away from this shameful past, and we must shed light on it and do everything we can to address the impact of the past on Native communities today."

Ignorance, pandering, or (more likely) both.

quote:
"Native Americans are more likely to live in poverty, to be unemployed, and often struggle to get quality healthcare and to find affordable housing."

There is only one group of people responsible for the way in which Indians live.

The Indians themselves.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
"Indian country". Ironic. Thats what we call the local neighborhoods that are dangerous to enter.

And they are entirely populated by non indigenous peoples. Smile Wink

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'll think about following her lead after she gives the native Americans all her shit, everything

Poser

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think Harris may well be the stupidest person ever elected to high office in the United States (and I’m not forgetting AOC either).

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If she gave one shit about Native Americans, she should be calling for or, directly investigating the hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of children’s bodies found at protestant schools in North America especially the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada from the 20th century.

Trust the federal government? Ask a native.

quote:
Hundreds Of Unmarked Graves Found At Another Former School For Indigenous Children

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Leaders of Indigenous groups in Canada said Thursday investigators have found hundreds of unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school for Indigenous children — a discovery that follows last month's report of 215 bodies found at another school.

The bodies were discovered at the Marieval Indian Residential School, which operated from 1899 to 1997 where the Cowessess First Nation is now located, about 85 miles (135 kilometers) east of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan.

A search with ground-penetrating radar resulted in 751 ''hits,'' indicating that at least 600 bodies were buried in the area, said Chief Cadmus Delorme of the Cowessess. The radar operators have said their results could have a margin of error of 10%.

"We want to make sure when we tell our story that we're not trying to make numbers sound bigger than they are," Delorme said. "I like to say over 600, just to be assured."

One instance of several, perhaps many.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we move on?! Do something lady, I’m tired of hearing about whitey and all the wrongs European folks have done. You folks ain’t so good either.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's half black and half Indian. Go to Africa and go to India and tell me how well the native population manages their countries. India is better than Africa, but it's still a chaotic mess of a country.

And don't blame the "colonialists". As colonies of Europe these countries were in way better shape...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Kurt Schlicter ought to “thank” Kackling Kamala for the “plug” of his second novel in the Kelly Turnbull series. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Just another ignorant political hack regurgitating someone else's 'words' for more of their political plundering!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
So she'd be happier if native Americans lived in temporary houses made of animal hides or sticks, received no assistance from a developed nation, subsisted on whatever meat, fruit, or vegetables, they could find or grow for their own immediate use, and receive only education they'd obtain from oral histories as they didn't have the benefit of a written language? Typical Democrat: Offering nothing but empty promises to those they've kept perpetually ignorant. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
From her words, would she not be better suited to be the VP for some tribal council, as opposed to the job she has now?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
1Z0Y464YA698994391

quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
So she'd be happier if native Americans ....

… could still be tortured then slaughtered, or enslaved by the stronger tribe next door.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I think Harris may well be the stupidest person ever elected to high office in the United States (and I’m not forgetting AOC either).

Here in GA we have someone that beets them all hands down.
Hank Johnson. Stupid plus delusional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...hannel=AndrewsArcade

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
1Z0Y464YA698994391

quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
So she'd be happier if native Americans ....

… could still be tortured then slaughtered, or enslaved by the stronger tribe next door.

So as goes the entire history of our world.

Happening to us today; as we watch.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Kamala, Descendent Of Plantation Owner, Scolds America Over ‘Shameful Past’

Her open contempt for America and those who built it is obvious. But should she strike quite so arrogant a tone on this particular issue? What’s that saying about people in glass houses?

Democrats love to rail at the sins of OTHER people… the kinds they can claim they themselves are untainted by. But human nature being what it is, there is plenty of sin to go around, among every culture, race, and language.

Kamala’s Shady Family History

Nobody is exempt just because they happen to have fashionably ‘woke’ politics. For instance, we have the following damning statement from no less than the mouth of Kamala’s own father [emphasis added]:

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town) and to my maternal grandmother Miss Iris (née Iris Finegan, farmer and educator, from Aenon Town and Inverness, ancestry unknown to me). The Harris name comes from my paternal grandfather Joseph Alexander Harris, land-owner and agricultural ‘produce’ exporter (mostly pimento or all-spice), who died in 1939 one year after I was born and is buried in the church yard of the magnificent Anglican Church which Hamilton-Brown built in Brown’s Town (and where, as a child, I learned the catechism, was baptized and confirmed, and served as an acolyte). — JamaicaGlobal

That great slaver and defender of slavery is every bit as tied to Kamala’s personal history as the historical ills of America are to ours. If America cannot be forgiven, and must be eternally flogged for the sins of generations long dead, what makes her any less guilty?

Genealogists have reportedly found evidence that President Biden’s paternal colonial ancestors owned slaves.

The reported finding, detailed in an adapted excerpt from Politico correspondent Ben Schreckinger’s upcoming book “The Bidens: Inside the First Family’s Fifty-Year Rise to Power,” was recently discovered by Alexander Bannerman, a genealogist in West Virginia, and lineage expert Gary Boyd Roberts.

After the 2020 presidential election, Bannerman worked alongside Roberts to put together Biden’s genealogy for the winter 2021 issues of American Ancestors magazine.

Bannerman told Schreckinger that during their research, the pair found that two of Biden’s ancestors on his father’s side enslaved people while living in Maryland.

Jesse Robinett, the president’s great-great-great-grandfather, enslaved two people in Allegany County, according to the 1800 Census, Bannerman said, while Thomas Randle, another third-great-grandfather of Biden, enslaved one 14-year-old boy in Baltimore County in 1850. … —NewYorkPost

So both of them seem to have direct connections to slavery.

That’s almost as embarrassing as Elizabeth Warren’s family connections to the Trail of Tears after claiming native heritage to land a job. Pocahontas Backfire: Does Warren Have A ‘Trail Of Tears’ Problem In Her Family Tree?

But DO go on, and tell us more about just how evil America’s history is, and how WE should be ashamed of ourselves, you unserious clowns.

https://clashdaily.com/2021/10...-over-shameful-past/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If she was serious, she'd take a serious look and overhaul the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Indian reservations are Federally administered, just about everything that happens thier is at the 'blessing' or, naiveté of the US Federal Government. BIA is an organization that was set-up to take on a paternal role of 'caring' for Native Americans and the property set-aside for them.

If you're a young entrepreneur, living on the rez, who thinks they can build better mouse-trap, you have to go to the Feds (BIA) and get 'approval' for your business. The medical resources on the rez are an abomination and that's at the feet of the Feds. You're a tribal chief and want to get a loan for some infrastructure improvements...yup, need to go through the BIA and get 'approval'. There's plenty of cultural issues that Natives need to deal with but, loosening up all the processes and the role of the US federal government is the biggest obstacle. Harris spouting off bumper sticker quotes and virtuous slogans, while 'dropping some knowledge' does nothing for Natives.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Harris spouting off bumper sticker quotes and virtuous slogans, while 'dropping some knowledge' does nothing for Natives.

No, but it does something for her.

"hey everyone, look at me. I'm over here."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post