SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School blocks Chick-fil-A as dining option
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School blocks Chick-fil-A as dining option Login/Join 
posted
School blocks Chick-fil-A as dining option, cites values

LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP, NJ (AP) - Students at a private university in New Jersey can eat more chicken as long as it's not Chick-fil-A.

Rider University removed the restaurant from a survey of dining options "based on the company's record widely perceived to be in opposition to the LGBTQ community." The fast-food chain was included in previous surveys.

Chick-fil-A says it has supported Christian values. Its corporate purpose is "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us."

Rider says it understands some may view the decision as a "form of exclusion." But the school says it wanted to be "faithful to our values of inclusion."

The university plans to hold a campus forum so that all voices can be heard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ick-fil-over-n940321

They have no real concept of values

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tn226,

Posts: 775 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
So...what exactly are they going to do if a student chooses to eat there? Shove a finger down his/her throat?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15247 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
More hate from the left.

These idiots have likely never eaten at a Chick-fil-A, and if they did, they would know that it’s a cheerful, welcoming atmosphere, more so than any other fast food restaurants.

It’s as if they think that David Duke himself works there and lynches gays and blacks every half hour to a thunderous applaus from racist, xenophobic, transphobic, white Christian republicans.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“ The university plans to hold a campus forum so that all voices can be heard opposition can be shouted down”

Fixed

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
We’re going to exclude you because we are all about being inclusive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Rider says it understands some may view the decision as a "form of exclusion." But the school says it wanted to be "faithful to our values of inclusion."

Roll Eyes

To show how inclusive we are, we've decided to exclude them.

Madness.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s their loss really. They are missing out on delicious chicken and exquisite service. They played themselves. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Well at lease at Chick Fil A you can be reasonably assured that the staff are clean and disease and drug free, the service is great, and the food is outstanding. Check for that at MacDonalds or Burger King...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
So...what exactly are they going to do if a student chooses to eat there? Shove a finger down his/her throat?

Either the restaurant will not be allowed on campus or the the dining card will not honor purchases made at CFA.

That's my guess.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Thoroughly mediocre school in a region packed with good ones. They're notable for... Well, basically nothing. Except idiocy now.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I know that area like the back of my hand. The nearest Chik-fil-A is a not short drive away. And as much as I love them, there are some amazing mom and pop places to eat within walking distance of Rider. So this is a total non-issue, unless Rider was thinking of letting Chik-fil-A build a restaurant on campus. Do they even do that, since they're closed on Sundays?

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“ The university plans to hold a campus forum so that all voices can be heard opposition can be shouted down”

Fixed

Beat me to it.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I know that area like the back of my hand. The nearest Chik-fil-A is a not short drive away. And as much as I love them, there are some amazing mom and pop places to eat within walking distance of Rider. So this is a total non-issue, unless Rider was thinking of letting Chik-fil-A build a restaurant on campus.
Did anybody actually read the linked article before posting? The very first sentence says "A New Jersey college asked its students what new restaurant they wanted on campus — but then took Chick-fil-A off the menu."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
From the linked article, the poll results had Chick-fil-A as the preferred option so the university removed it from the poll. If the students are worth a shit the campus forums should be fun to watch.

“Rider University, a private university in central New Jersey, polled students in the spring about what franchise they would like to see on campus.

The results showed a preference for Chick-fil-A, which boasts the slogan “Eat More Chikin."

But the university said it removed the restaurant as an option on a survey this fall based on the franchise's being “widely perceived to be in opposition to the LGBTQ+ community.”

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So, what exactly does the word “inclusion” mean to the Left?

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of this school until now. Kudos to their PR department for getting noticed and, I am sure, applauded by academia for their Kafkaesque policy.

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions.” - G.K. Chesterton, January 1906

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
If you're opposed to the removal of Chick-fil-A the campus will offer this new option as a dining choice..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I didn't think it was a serious article when it started out with "took off the menu" while referring to a survey. I guess it's a cute pun though. Seriously, how would a place survive there that closes on Sunday? Wouldn't that be when students most want that kind of food? Also, you know it would become a lightning rod for protests and vandalism, if ever got built. No good option here other than to eat at the other, existing local places.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
So, the path to Inclusion is through Exclusion. Got it.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
fuck me. i'm glad i avoid the news.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post