SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This Is The 76th Anniversary Of The Bombing Of Hiroshima

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
This Is The 76th Anniversary Of The Bombing Of Hiroshima Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Killed thousands but saved millions. A fair trade off I'd say.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The Day Tomorrow Began, Chicago Pile 1

For the kids.

This is an interesting video which shows an actual brick from CP1.
Video of a brick from the Chicago Pile.

For those with a bit of time and wish to hear a bit more on the research which led to development of the atomic bomb, this is a good video.
Link to ANL 70th Anniversary Symposium.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

My father was in the Philippines and they were preparing for the invasion, planned for early 1946.
He always said it most likely saved his life.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

For those who want to dive further into this, I highly recommend listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast episode titled "Logical Insanity".

It talks about the rise of mass aerial bombing in the run up to WW2, its impact during WW2, and the next step into atomic weapons at the end of WW2, and delves into the "kill thousands to save millions" reasoning and the complexities behind the morality of the decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
True. About 400,000 Japanese had already died in the firebombing and other strategic bombing but the worst was yet to come.

There would have been a total blockade and much more bombing before the invasion started at Kyushu and estimates were for up to 10 million Japanese war dead. Even women and children were being trained to fight with sharpened sticks and charge into enemy as cannon fodder.

There would have been a famine during and after that could have wiped out countless more. Even with the surrender, there was a huge humanitarian effort required to minimize the impact on the population. Had the war continued, the Allies would have been in no position or mood to provide those resources due to their own losses.

Not only that, the Soviet Union would have been heavily involved in places, leading to Communist occupation when the war eventually ended. That would have made the post war cold war era more complex than it already was.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many times are we going to re-hash this subject? This subject has been covered many times in this forum. I contributed heavily to a couple of those threads. I just don't see the need for us to go over this again, with us addressing the same old tired arguments and misconceptions from people who don't know shit about history.

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Today happens to be my daughter's birthday. She is really sick of it.

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just so there is no confusion- I want to see no more threads on Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or even the Japanese government's refusal to apologize for their horrific actions of their military forces, from the 1920s through the mid 1940s.

And the United States owes nothing to the Japanese government or people, with regards to the dropping of those two bombs. You want someone to blame? Look to the Japanese government, the emperor, and military leaders like Tojo, who we executed in 1948. Blame Japan for Japan being bombed to shit.

This subject has been done to death here, and there's nothing new to add.

You guys want to read up on the subject? Here's the "anniversary" thread from last year. We're not doing this any more.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/9450071374/p/1

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post