SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    True Kona Coffee?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Kona Coffee? Login/Join 
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted
I would appreciate some help finding real Kona Coffee beans.

I would have thought an internet search would help, but apparently there are a lot of fake sites, or they have blends etc.

I would like to taste for myself just to know if it really is all that.

If you drink Kona, can you please share the link on here where you order from?

I prefer medium roast, and love almost all the African beans.

I am less enthused with columbian beans.

Hopefully someone else understands my tastes, and can help guide me a bit.

Thanks!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've never had true Kona coffee. But I can vouch for this roaster. They are fairly local to me and I've purchased a lot of coffee in their store.

https://www.armeno.com/collect...-gate-prime-100-kona

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nate @ WCR has it from time-to-time (based on a request I made of him some 15yrs ago) after a trip to Oahu and enjoying it locally.

Very smooth...pricey, however. Nate roasts to order and sends Priority Mail where the beans rest after the roast. So, no way to get it fresher unless you buy green and roast yourself.

https://www.westcoastroasting.com/100-estate-kona/

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I toured Lion Coffee’s roasting facility while Hawaii. They have two options for 100% Kona and 20% off Black Friday deal:
  • Hawaiian Lion 24k Gold Roast 100% Kona Coffee. I've had this dozens of times and it's excellent.
  • Hawaiian Lion 100% Ka’u Coffee
  • {EDIT}They also own Royal Kona Brand. Here is their 100% Kona Medium Roast. I've had this dozens of times and it's excellent.

When I used to live in Alaska, I went to Hawaii once a year and got hooked on 100% Kona. I’ve ordered direct from Lion several times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I just bought 10 pounds of green kona beans from Burman Coffee Traders. I bought some from them about 4 months ago, and it sold out in about 2 days. If you roast your own beans, you won't ever use pre roasted. Otherwise, I used to but from Lion, however all the Kona roasts are city roast, which is to dark for me.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post
    They have a coffee shop downtown in Oahu thay allows you to buy in bulk for something like 30% off, used to go there a lot.

Not sure if they ship or not though.

I'm speaking of Lions Coffee.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    Ferrari Coffee Company, located in the Kona district of Hawaii so it's Kona coffee and not Ka'u or anything else. They offer beans as well as ground and several different roasts.

I've been buying from them since 1994 and it's all I drink. The owner, Nikki Ferrari, is a very nice lady and related to Enzo Ferrari but without all his money.

https://ferraricoffee.com/

They're offering a seasonal special right now on this page: https://ferraricoffee.com/new-page

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    Also, pay attention to the content info before clicking the 'buy' button.

There's a lot of 'Kona' product out there with very little actual Kona beans in the blend: the word 'Kona' can be used on blends with as little as 10% Kona beans.

"100% Kona" is what to look for.

"Pooki's Mahi" has excellent 100% Kona product, but I don't drink enough to be on a subscription.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Would you like
    a sandwich?
    Picture of Dreamerx4
    posted Hide Post
    Great information, thank you all, this is exactly the information I am looking for.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    These guys are prize-winners but they ain't cheap.

https://heavenlyhawaiian.com/coffee-1/
    Awards for our Kona Bold:

1st Place – Kona Coffee Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Bold)

3rd Place – People’s Choice – Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Bold)

Finalist - Kona Coffee Cultural Festival (Bold)

Top Ten - Kona Coffee Cultural Festival (Bold)

Honorable Mention – Finalist – Kona Coffee Cupping Contest (Bold)

Honorable Mention – Finalist – Kona Coffee Cupping Contest (Bold)

1st Place Cup for the Millennium – Kona Coffee Cupping Contest (Bold)

Awards for our Kona Silk:

2nd Place – UCC Kona Coffee Cultural Festival – Crown Division (Silk)

Top Ten - State of Hawaii Cupping Competition (Silk)

Finalist – Kona Coffee Cultural Festival (Silk)

Chef’s Choice – Cream of the Crop Competition (Silk)

People’s Choice – Cream of the Crop Competition; Holualoa Coffee and Art Stroll (Silk)

People’s Choice – Holualoa Coffee and Art Stroll (Silk)

People’s Choice – Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Silk)

Chef’s & People’s Choice – Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Silk)

1st Place – Peoples’s Choice – Holualoa Coffee and Art Stroll (Silk)

Finalist – Hawaii Coffee Association Convention Cupping Competition (Silk)

1st Place – People’s Choice – Kona Coffee Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Silk)

1st Place – People’s Choice – Kona Coffee Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Silk)

3rd Place – People’s Choice – Kona Coffee Cream of the Crop Cupping Competition (Silk)

Awards for the Big Bean Reserve:

1st Place Kona and State – Hawaii Coffee Assoc. Cupping Competition (BBR)

Other Awards:

1st Place – People’s Choice – Label Contest
    1st Place – Judge’s Award – Label Contest
    3rd Place – Judge’s Award – Web Site Contest
    2nd Place – Judge’s Award – Kona Coffee Label Contest

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joel9507:

There's a lot of 'Kona' product out there with very little actual Kona beans in the blend: the word 'Kona' can be used on blends with as little as 10% Kona beans.

Yup.

I buy my Kona, when I do (rarely), from a local roaster. It's 100% Kona, from known coffee estates, they stock green and roast to order.

They do ship. I can provide info if you need it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joel9507:

"100% Kona" is what to look for.

Good point. Here's the Hawaiian law on that:

https://hawaiicoffeeassoc.org/...0coffee%20accurately.

HAWAII-GROWN COFFEE LAW
    This law aims to protect Hawaiian coffees from being misrepresented in blends. It mandates that if a Hawaiian coffee is used in a blend and the coffee is named on the package (i.e. “Kona coffee”), then the package must represent the coffee accurately. The blend must contain a minimum of 10% (by weight) of the origin named, the label must clearly state the percentage, and the size of the font on the label must adhere to specific guidelines.

For complete details and a full written description of the law, please read HRS Chapter 486-120.6.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Would you like
    a sandwich?
    Picture of Dreamerx4
    posted Hide Post
    This helps! I knew there were things to be on the lookout for, but this helps tremendously.

It is very expensive, I don't want to just waste the money on something that is not genuine.

I am not in a position to drink it all the time, so want to make it count when I can.

Thank you all!

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
    Picture of 911Boss
    posted Hide Post
    Kona Joe’s for us. We toured there when we went to Kona last year.

They do blends but also do 100% Kona. Our favorite is the Peaberry blend, 100% Kona Peaberry gets real pricey.

https://www.konajoe.com/search?type=product&q=100%25

We have also been happy with “Kauai Coffee” from Amazon. 100% Hawaiian, but not Kona. Quite a bit cheaper and still real good coffee.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Irksome Whirling Dervish
    Picture of Flashlightboy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 911Boss:
    Kona Joe’s for us. We toured there when we went to Kona last year.

They do blends but also do 100% Kona. Our favorite is the Peaberry blend, 100% Kona Peaberry gets real pricey.

https://www.konajoe.com/search?type=product&q=100%25

We have also been happy with “Kauai Coffee” from Amazon. 100% Hawaiian, but not Kona. Quite a bit cheaper and still real good coffee.

I know the Joe (non-coffee capacity) and can vouch for his business.

Excellent coffee.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    I had been buying 100% Kona dark roast from the Maui Coffee Company for the past 5 years but back in July or August their last remaining farm was sold to another distributor and they're no longer getting any 100% Kona - trying to fill it from other sources but supplies are already committed

Its true - I'm not a coffee snob, but I know that I can't stand Starbucks, and the Kona is very smooth

I have enough left for about a dozen cups and then I am out.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of arabiancowboy
    posted Hide Post
    This thread has been very helpful, thank you gentlemen. Just in time for the holidays, I plan to buy myself some Christmas coffee.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'm Fine
    Picture of SBrooks
    posted Hide Post
    Kona and Jamaican Blue Mtn both win with me. You can have a nice strong cup with no bitterness whatsoever.

I don't always have it available, but do treat myself two or three times a year. I just keep searching google or amazon til I find something I recognize and trust with a half decent price. It has definitely gone up in price the past two years.

------------------
    SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Would you like
    a sandwich?
    Picture of Dreamerx4
    posted Hide Post
    Is so very nice having first hand experience with this, thank you all for sharing.

Boy the 100% Kona Peaberry at $100 a pound plus shipping.... Wow.

I do enjoy Peaberry out of Africa about the best, so, may have to try just once.

The danger here is tasting something so good it ruins everything else... :-)

I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
    The danger here is tasting something so good it ruins everything else... :-)

That's what happened to me and why I haven't bought any coffee other than Kona coffee in years.

$2.00 a day is okay with me, though, and that's 4 cups a day for us. Two for me and two for her.