SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of law school
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of law school Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You guys keep counting the money.

I keep thinking of all the tens of thousands of hours spent mastering a musical instrument, just because it was fun, interesting, rewarding, not because one would be hired as principal clarinetist at the New York Philharmonic, or be the next Harry James or take Keith Richards' place in the Rolling Stones. I have come to know hundreds of very, very good musicians, some of whom turned pro, who play because they love doing so, and many of whom eak out a bare living for their trouble.

A professional does what (s)he does regardless of the money. It sometimes seems like the less you focus on the money, the more you make. You love it, and can't help being the best at it, or at least trying.

Most people don't have the luxury of going to law school without going into exorbitant debt. Love the law all you want, but have a game plan for paying for it. I wouldn't suggest someone go $100,000 or more into debt to learn to play the tuba either just because they have a passion for polka.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN is pretty much on point, but I will give you my $.02

Graduated college in 1983, went back to Law School in 1989, did nights for the first 2 years then switched to days for my last year. Worked all the time while going. It will change the way you think, it will change the way you see things.

Never ever wanted to do litigation, especially criminal. Well, first job was with the Broward County Public Defenders Office. Bad pay but the best job I ever had. 5 years of defending the US Constitution.

Point is, don't do it for the money.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:

Point is, don't do it for the money.

Here ya go!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I think almost all of us agree that you shouldn't do it for the money. That doesn't mean that paying attention to the financial realities of a new law student in 2017 is in conflict with "don't do it for the money."

I'd certainly rather hire an attorney that loved the profession over one that simply became an attorney for the money.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are not going to do something "for the money "
there is always teaching.

why litigate when you can inspirate

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I practiced corporate law at a large NYC firm for a little less than five years then made the switch to a non-legal career. My favorite part of my legal career was law school. Even though I did not find the practice of law very fulfilling, I do not regret going to law school at all. It was an extremely interesting and fun time. They don't teach the law...they teach you how to think. I found it highly enjoyable.

I will say, if I could do it again, I'd take an extra year and get a joint JD/MBA degree. That's a winning combination in my book.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be easier for me to talk you out of med school .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
professional does what (s)he does regardless of the money. It

A fool puts themselves in debt to enter profession that they have to kill themselves or sell their soul to pay off

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

True, but salaries ramp up pretty quickly in Big Law.

That is true, but working in Big Law is its own kind of Hell.

I never worked in a law firm, much less a Big Law firm, but my son is a 2nd year Associate in a Big Law firm and I wince at the stuff he tells me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
professional does what (s)he does regardless of the money. It

A fool puts themselves in debt to enter profession that they have to kill themselves or sell their soul to pay off

My sentiments. A man's got to eat. I could not do it and eat afterwards, once my child support adjusted according to my new gross income, on top of $1k/month student loans.

Each person's situation is different, admittedly. I expect that when I retire after 30 years service at my current job, I'll go back to school for something.

To the OP: Do you want to become a lawyer? Or are you evaluating options and considering law school? Is your end goal a career switch for similar money? Or to become a lawyer?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post