SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How would I go about getting some parts gold plated?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would I go about getting some parts gold plated? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
… trade the pickups to someone that has them in chrome, that was the 90's theme. …
Lollars in chrome? How gauche. Big Grin

Well, it is a piece of 80's to early 90's work, so it's kinda gauche to begin with LOL

I too did a googleization, couldn't find any with gold and only a few were made with the G piece.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well, it is a piece of 80's to early 90's work, so it's kinda gauche to begin with LOL …
Well, that is true.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It seems like you've 'really' got your heart set on gold here, but I think keeping the current color scheme of the Surfcaster and having Black Chrome Cover Rings, accents & hardware for the new Lollars would look REALLY Awesome! Then you can just make everything on the pickguard match. It would keep your classic looking classic, while sporting a modern update. Even if you actually had to replace the new pickups (sell or trade credit for 'new' replacements), it would probably still be way cheaper/easier in the end, vs making everything else gold. Just Sayin' Wink

You’re saying gold plating is going to be costly? Like how much are we talking?

I don't have ant real numbers for you, but I don't think it'll be cheap...We are talking gold here! As SIGnified posted, "Like all things re: surface finishing it’s all about the prep work...You probably gotta decide how thick you wanna lay it on. $$$". By the time you add the cost of the new Tuning Machine Screws, and the Tune-o-matic Bridge on top of it, and the work involved, it's starting to add up.

Honestly, I went to the Lollar website to check out the Novel Foil Humbucker you have there, I saw that they offer it in Black Chrome, and immediately thought that would look awesome on your Surfcaster, especially with the new pickguard. Also, as your guitar has some character/patina from use, it would allow your updates to blend more with it, rather than standing out! If Lollar could rework your pickups at minimal cost, then swapping pickups and changing out the screws on the pickguard to match seemed like a way easier solution IMO. Just my two cents...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not suggesting you lose the Lollars, but rather suggesting if it came to it, selling them as a last resort to fund another set of Lollars. Wink

That 'C' in the harp tailpiece would look good surrounded by gold though... Cool

I’ll put it this way: they can’t be replaced. They gave me no end of shit about how I specced them out when I worked there. That set is unique in this world.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, then Gold it is... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
I'm not suggesting you lose the Lollars, but rather suggesting if it came to it, selling them as a last resort to fund another set of Lollars. Wink

That 'C' in the harp tailpiece would look good surrounded by gold though... Cool

I’ll put it this way: they can’t be replaced. They gave me no end of shit about how I specced them out when I worked there. That set is unique in this world.
You know I like having things that others can’t have, don’t you? Big Grin

They sound absolutely spectacular.

quote:
^^^Well then Gold it is... Wink
HAHAHA! Yeah. Big Grin

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I knew you'd appreciate them. Enjoy them in good health. Smile

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I knew you'd appreciate them. Enjoy them in good health. Smile

I really do. Seriously, it’s almost comical how much better Lollars are over stock pickups. I’d say more but I always end up offending someone.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Egads! The Lollars really are spectacular. They’re so much livelier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I actually saw the YouTube before I popped in here. That CNC is the sweet! And I cracked up at "I'll find it when I buy a replacement".

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
E-mail inbound.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post