SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How would I go about getting some parts gold plated?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would I go about getting some parts gold plated? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I finally got around to making a pickguard for my Charvel Surfcaster. The original was cracked and I didn't like the original pickups. It turned out great and the Lollar pickups are a huge improvement over the Kent Armstrong Lipstick Tubes that were in it.

Anyway, I ordered the Lollars in gold because Lollars deserve to be gold. Silver or Nickel didn't seem appropriate. So, now I'd like to get the chrome bits plated in gold to match the pickups.

*(I ordered a black switch cap. I'll find the one I have as soon as the order goes through.)

The bridge, strap buttons and tuning keys are all replaceable but the C branded harp tailpiece is not going to be easy to find if it were to be lost in delivery. That makes local service ideal but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Anyone do gold plating as a hobby or professionally?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I don’t do plating, but I know how it’s done.

Like all things re: surface finishing it’s all about the prep work.

Should be straightforward. You probably gotta decide how thick you wanna lay it on. $$$

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is something that David Troung can do for you ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I don’t do plating, but I know how it’s done.

Like all things re: surface finishing it’s all about the prep work.

Should be straightforward. You probably gotta decide how thick you wanna lay it on. $$$
I've done electroless nickel plating on gun parts before. I can do the prep. I'm not sure I want to get into another kit that I'll use once and put under the workbench for the rest of eternity.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LOL that's like any home project, wife wants a new lamp or chandelier in the dining room, next thing you know you are painting the walls, and buying a new dining set.

Don't know any platers, have to be some good people out there.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Fords

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
What about gold leaf? I wonder if that would work.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
It’s a very different look… Meaning, it’s kind of it’s own thing. I would think you would want to gold leaf everything else/HW.

Not sure how durable it is however.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It seems like you've 'really' got your heart set on gold here, but I think keeping the current color scheme of the Surfcaster and having Black Chrome Cover Rings, accents & hardware for the new Lollars would look REALLY Awesome! Then you can just make everything on the pickguard match. It would keep your classic looking classic, while sporting a modern update. Even if you actually had to replace the new pickups (sell or trade credit for 'new' replacements), it would probably still be way cheaper/easier in the end, vs making everything else gold. Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It seems like you've 'really' got your heart set on gold here, but I think keeping the current color scheme of the Surfcaster and having Black Chrome Rings/accents/hardware for the new Lollars would look REALLY Awesome! Then you can just make everything on the pickguard match. It would keep your classic looking classic, while sporting a modern update. Even if you actually had to replace the new pickups (sell or trade credit for 'new' replacements), it would probably still be way cheaper/easier in the end, vs making everything else gold. Just Sayin' Wink

Blue and gold looks really rich though.

And I ain’t selling my Lollars. Cold, dead hands, man.

These were actually meant for my Washburn A15-V but they really compliment this guitar.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm not suggesting you lose the Lollars, but rather suggesting if it came to it, selling them as a last resort to fund another set of Lollars. Wink

That 'C' in the harp tailpiece would look good surrounded by gold though... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Gold Tune-o-matic bridge is easy to source almost anywhere, but be sure you know if the studs are metric or SAE and what the spacing is exactly.

Gold pick guard screws are likewise easily sourced. Stew-Mac and LMI are good sources.

Gold plating the tailpiece would be easy but probably not so cheap. There are likely numerous gold plating companies near enough to you. Alternatively, did Charvel make a gold trim version? If so you might source the tailpiece from them.

If you really want to go to town, have the frets replaced with EVO Gold fretwire. I love working with EVO Gold when I refret. It is harder than nickel-silver but not as hard as stainless, so it will last a long time.

Posts: 9438 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Have you tried doing a search on "Gold Plating Services near me" in the search engine of your choice?

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems like you've 'really' got your heart set on gold here, but I think keeping the current color scheme of the Surfcaster and having Black Chrome Cover Rings, accents & hardware for the new Lollars would look REALLY Awesome! Then you can just make everything on the pickguard match. It would keep your classic looking classic, while sporting a modern update. Even if you actually had to replace the new pickups (sell or trade credit for 'new' replacements), it would probably still be way cheaper/easier in the end, vs making everything else gold. Just Sayin' Wink

I'ma voting for this, trade the pickups to someone that has them in chrome, that was the 90's theme.

But it's your Git-tar....

You should email Dave Troung, lots of Jewelers can do this or he might know a reputable place.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Huggy can help

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Huggy can help

Hellz yee-yah! You feels me.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:

You’re saying gold plating is going to be costly? Like how much are we talking?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
.., did Charvel make a gold trim version? …
No, I don’t think they did. At least I’ve never seen one.

I have a thing for these older, no-frills Japanese-made, late 80s to mid-90s guitars. Then I can’t help but change them so that no one else has one like it. It’s my kink.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Spot price of gold right now is about $70 a gram.

I have no idea what a vendor would charge for it.

~Robert A. Heinlein

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
… trade the pickups to someone that has them in chrome, that was the 90's theme. …
Lollars in chrome? How gauche. Big Grin