SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does your local L.E. have an MRAP critical response vehicle ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does your local L.E. have an MRAP critical response vehicle ? Login/Join 
posted
Or Bear cat ,or do they have access to one from a nearby source ?

Are they pretty common ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Yes, but they aren’t that great for most things. Most of the LEAs in my area run bearcats which are much better suited.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15877 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The Sheriff drives it the local car show-------once a year.

PC

Posts: 1375 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My town has a few. My town is subject to flooding, so they are mostly used to pull people from flooded houses. I believe 1 is set up as a mobile command post for street fairs etc.

Posts: 1087 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear cat, that's what I meant.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Yes, but they aren’t that great for most things.

This. MRAPs only have niche uses, require specialized training to operate, have high maintenance costs/needs, and have a number of drawbacks (poor visibility, high center of gravity, etc.)

Bearcats or similar are much better suited for LE needs.

quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
Yes. The Sheriff drives it the local car show-------once a year.

Much like all those 1033 Hummers that many agencies jumped on a decade or more ago, just to be driven once a year for a parade or other public exhibition (if that), and otherwise left to rot in back parking lots.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one. Used once or twice. The agency next to us has one or two Bearcats.Last October they had one of theirs shot to shit by a bad guy w/ an AR. Bad guy disabled it by radiator and tire hits. Had to tow it away. I know some of the guys that were in it that night. One of them said he hasn’t heard rounds impact like that and w/ that particular frequency since his time in Iraq.

Posts: 4144 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I saw an MRAP parked at at the Ector County Jail in Odessa, Texas back in ‘13/‘14 when I had business with them. I always thought it would rarely ever get used in such a relatively small jurisdiction, and that it would be very difficult and expensive to maintain.

My agency had a dedicated SWAT vehicle, but we also had a couple of .gov HUMVEEs, which were never put into service.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1222 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Our agency has none of that stuff. The Sheriff's office and City PD both have surplus Hummvess. They're not armored, and both agencies use them for SWAT guy photoshoots and parades. Both of those agencies also have designated SWAT vehicles...County has an old ambulance and City has an old school bus that they painted black.

State Police have a Bearcat....I've seen it out a few times but never been on a call with it.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MSP has Bearcats. The county has GI surplus HummVees that are useless.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
My town has a few. My town is subject to flooding, so they are mostly used to pull people from flooded houses. I believe 1 is set up as a mobile command post for street fairs etc.

Ocean and Monmouth Counties have quite a few at their disposal. But Humvees are much more prominent. Again mostly for flooding conditions as you pointed out. They did use one for OC swat last week in Toms River.

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Local agency's in my area, no. A few of the counties in my area have a bearcat for the swat type teams.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4588 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
My town is subject to flooding, so they are mostly used to pull people from flooded houses.

Anybody who gets into (or uses) a MRAP for flood issues is really risking it. Very heavy, and very top heavy. The perfect combination for soft waterlogged ground, compromised roads, and deep water.

If you're in a flood and need to be rescued, I'd decline the MRAP and wait for a boat.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15877 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
OKaloosa County Sherif's office has 2 Bearcats I believe and an MRAP. They also have a box truck painted black and several black suburbans.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They have a Kawasaki Mule, here.

Posts: 27195 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volusia Sheriff's Office (FL) has two Bearcats, Daytona Beach Police Department also has one. They've been used numerous times dealing with armed suspects.

Posts: 868 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Some of these are from the Sheriff Ivey-hating, progressive pinko fag loving Florida Today puppypoo wrapper, including the only MRAP image; I assume this was before its awesome BCSO paint job.

I just thought the others were cool. Sorry for the over-enthusiasm.

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I like it. Big Grin

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Our sheriff drives a Jeep:

SWAT had an MRAP years ago but now has a Bearcat.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an MRAP that is shared among agencies within the county, which is too liberal to fund a proper armored vehicle. Our LE admin is too afraid of the optics of the thing to use it for most tactical operations (and they have literally offered counseling services to members of the public who were "traumatized" by seeing it when it was used). They are also not ideal for many locations. It has been useful in flooding.

It is unfortunate. Armor has the potential to reduce the likelihood of a police shooting.

Posts: 5212 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post