SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing? Login/Join 
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
Asparagus. Weeds got a little out of hand last summer, so by the time I got it cleaned up I was worried that nothing was going to come up. It did but not as much as in the past, so I'll have to make sure it doesn't get out of hand again this year.

The wife plants different stuff each year so that can vary.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I‘m growing Jalapeños and Carolina reaper.

Last year I had about 10 pounds of Jalapeños,
I let them turn red, smoked some of them and also made a few bottle of fermented Hot sauce.

I‘m addicted to chipotle, the last batch I ordered online tasted like car tires, that’s when I decided to grow my own Jalapeños and smoke them.

Hard to find fresh Jalapeño in Germany.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't it amazing how many folks that grow plants grow all types of peppers??? There is just so much you can do with them and fresh ones are the best!! Last year I grew some Habanaro peppers, and raw, they bring me to my knees!!!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thought I’d try hydroponics this year with Dutch buckets. Link
and a rail system for a few a few things. Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Thought I’d try hydroponics this year with Dutch buckets. Link
and a rail system for a few a few things. Link

That's pretty cool. I wish I had a greenhouse.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Lettuce, onions, carrots, dill, rosemary, basil and oregano in the ground now.
Tomatoes, bush beans, corn and cukes will go in the ground in a couple of weeks. Minimal amounts of everything except a lot of tomatoes(druzba, roma,san marzano and early girl), beans(provider) and silver queen corn.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, Skins, maybe the set it and forget it Kratky hydroponic method would work well enough for you. Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This might seem like a stupid question but I’m going to ask it anyway. Potato growers can I just plant a few bags of potatoes from the supermarket dig them up after a while then cut them in half and replant them? What is the best way for me to get started? My knowledge of potato growing is pretty bad...I read the Martian and it talked about growing spuds quite a bit but I need some good growing advice. I have an area I will be clearing out tomorrow and I’d like to get a few rows of potatoes in the ground soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Our garden is about 75’x50’

Corn x 5 rows
Okras x 1 row
Green beans x 1 rows
Tomatoes a lot (75+/-)we need to can this year
Dill
Squash
Zucchini
Onion
Cucumber
Radish
Green, yellow, orange, hot peppers

I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Potato growers can I just plant a few bags of potatoes from the supermarket dig them up after a while then cut them in half and replant them? What is the best way for me to get started? ...snip...

I've heard of folks using store bought potatoes but if they are a hybrid you might not fare too well. Best to get seed potatoes. You don't have to plant them, dig them, and replant them. The "Martian" did that to increase his yield over time. You can just get some, allow them to grow eyes and then you have a couple options. 1) Plant a whole potato, this is the easiest. 2) Cut each potato into sections, making sure to get a couple of eyes out of each section. Best to leave a day or so after cutting to allow the sections to harden a little on the cut parts. Then plant. Once the plant breaks the surface and gets a few inches tall, mound the dirt up around the plant a bit. This mounding forces the plant up and allows more tubers to grow. Additionally it keeps the sunlight off the tubers which is bad. Makes the potatoes green and NO BUENO for eating.

There are lots of good methods for planting. You can even plant them in buckets, old tires, etc. The best and easiest yield we ever got when I was a kid we didn't even put them in the dirt. We put them on hay, covered with more hay, and then mounded with hay. All we had to do at harvest was flip over hay. No digging at all.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rosemary, basil, potatoes, cilantro, catnip, and new this year: watermelons (we shall see).

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thank you thunderson. Excellent info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet corn... Just planted the first batch today and its raining now. Smile

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I planted 40 onion plants today. Cool I ran out of space so I’m going to have to clear out another section of my yard before I can plant the other 40 onions I have ready to plant. I can probably get another row of 10 onions in there next to that end row and the tomatillos but then I’m going to still have to find a place for the other 30 onions.

My peppers and tomato plants are happy and growing nicely.

I harvested some Romaine and made a taco lettuce wrap out of leftovers for lunch today. It was DELICIOUS! My goal is to move towards growing 100% of my produce in the next year or two. I don’t know if it’s possible but I’m going to try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What is something good I could grow in a somewhat shady spot that does not get a ton of direct sunlight?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
What is something good I could grow in a somewhat shady spot that does not get a ton of direct sunlight?

Lettuce would probably work. Maybe try a good leaf lettuce like Black Seeded Simpson or Buttercrunch.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Also beets or carrots.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Plants are in finally. Had to rototill mud last week and we had frost warnings last two nights. No to sit back and wait.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We've got potatoes, onions, a couple different types of tomatoes, 5 or 6 varieties of peppers, green beans, zuchhini, cucumbers, rhubarb, basil, chives, garlic, lettuce, and strawberries. Finally got the starts it in the ground yesterday (potatoes and onions have been in a while), and it rained all day today, so that's good. Hopefully the frost is finally done...we had one last week, so I'm still a little apprehensive.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post