SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
1967Goat, how much room do I need to grow potatoes? I have a section of yard I was planning on clearing and possibly using to grow potatoes. I have a small yard but I enjoy having a garden and cooking with veggies that I grew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Check youtube for potatoes in a container. I guess it's common to grow them in those patio tubs you get at the box stores. They're 20 gallon tubs with rope handles.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet, Can't plant shit outside around here till Mothers Day. After that Onions, peppers, tomatoes, cukes. Maybe a pumpkin for fun. Got some plants in the garage under grow lights.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
1967Goat, how much room do I need to grow potatoes? I have a section of yard I was planning on clearing and possibly using to grow potatoes. I have a small yard but I enjoy having a garden and cooking with veggies that I grew.

I have 2 raised beds that are 8' X 4'. This will be my second time growing them. Last time was 3 years ago. I haven't had time the past few years. I think I got 2 - 5 gallons buckets of potatoes last time. That's really too much for us, but I give some away. They are super easy to grow. I'd grow them right in the dirt, instead of a raised bed, but we have voles around here and they'd eat them. I hate the little bastards. I put hardware cloth on the bottom of my raised beds so they cant come up through the bottom.

As someone else said, there are tons of youtube videos.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Potatoes take little room. You’ll hill them up, they really don’t spread out hardly at all.

They’re easy to grow in buckets, old baskets too. Check YouTube

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a good stand of okra already, plus red onions. I will add some more jalapeno plants and likely some cilantro. We are due to hit 101F this Sunday, so not everything grows well outdoor where I live.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing some reading on which trellis to use, a vertical or A frame. I cut down some small trees that I can use in the place of wooden stakes. It saves me from having to go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and apparently plants prefer to grab onto wood. It should look pretty cool when I’m done.

I sketched out both designs to show my son what we plan on building for the garden today. I am leaning towards trying to build an A frame with the plants on the outside and maybe trying to use the area inside the A frame to grow lettuce or something that would like a nice shady spot. It would also help maximize my planter space as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes, zucchini, peas (Big Boy and Mississippi Cream 8's). Peppers--sweet banana, yellow bell, cajun bell, jalapeño, and cayenne. Rosemary, basil, thyme, and mint in the herb garden.

My Dad has tomatoes, potatoes, yellow squash, lettuce, eggplant and cucumbers in his garden.

No corn or green beans this year, still have plenty left from last year.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Yukon gold potatoes
regular potatoes
carrots 3 different varieties
Acorn squash
Butternut squash
Spaghetti squash
Zucchini
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Yellow squash
Onions
Leeks
Bok choi
Bush beans
Yellow beans
Green beans
Beets
Turnips
Rutabaga
Romaine
Bib lettuce
Spinach

And for my hummingbird friends Scarlet Runner Beans.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We have two large plots in the yard and plant every year. The list is usually something like this:

Sweet corn, squash, zucchini, green beans (Bush), okra, tomatoes (several varieties), cucumbers, bell peppers and jalapeños. Random things will often be included.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Cascade hops.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Steaks. Big Grin
23 calves on the ground as of today.

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Just got mine in.
Tomatoes
Red Bell Peppers
Jalapeño
Kale
Habenaros
Strawberries
Spring Onions

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Used to do a lot and sold at the farmers market. I bought a Troy Built tiller in the 70's and just about wore it out. Not any more... a few years ago I completely disassembled it and piled it in the corner of the garage... in case on a whim I got the dang fool notion to use it again Big Grin

My granddad was a superb gardener but his favorite reply when asked about how his garden was doing was... Well. I think it's the worst year I have ever had, and I've had a few complete failures!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Early Girl Tomatoes
Beefsteak Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Bush Cucumbers
Habeneros
Jalapenos
Yellow banana peppers
Pepperoncini
Rhubarb it stays outside year round and still survives through the winter.

Hopefully I can put the outside next week.

So far all are in pots or whatever will fit them until it gets warm.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Tired.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It isn’t pretty but it was free and saved me a trip to the Home Depot for supplies. Hopefully the squash and zucchini enjoy climbing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They won't care if it's pretty or not. It's not like they are going to say there's no way in hell I'm climbing that trellis.

You will end up with better plants and no yellow on them from being in contact with the ground.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Steaks. Big Grin
23 calves on the ground as of today.

My kind of gardening! Big Grin

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had a nice garden when I was a kid, every
spring a guy would come over from a local farm, turn the soil back over and I'd get the joy of running a 4 tine tiller for several hours to get it ready for planting. Being a kid that got to run motorized equipment it was fun and good exercise.

Potatoes were in rows in mounds, we had two rows 25 to 30 feet long, it produced a ton of them so much so that we canned them for the winter. Same for green beans, Dad loves them so we had plenty of plants and plenty of beans, probably why I hate store bought and snapping them still.

Here's my current crop, won't be long it will be hot again and I"ll have to shelter these under some shade cloth...

Planted two heirloom tomato plants probably 4 weeks ago, they have started to offer up fruit
hoping this year to get some big mater's

Two banana pepper plants. Hot n sweet, will separate them into two pots this week, they've started to supply some good peppers, the hot ones are smoking hot, the sweet are really good, Need an Air Fryer for fried nanner peppers

Super hot peppers,this is the third year for this pepper plant. These will make you cry like a little kid who's lost his momma..... Its just started to produce again, you can see the small red Peppers according to the tag they are Carolina Reaper type peppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post