SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Man this sucks - hope you get your money back. Looks like you at least have a chance with a USPSMO. I prefer to pay for guns and big ticket items with a MO, as with PP one might be sol.

Posts: 101 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanninland:
Man this sucks - hope you get your money back. Looks like you at least have a chance with a USPSMO. I prefer to pay for guns and big ticket items with a MO, as with PP one might be sol.

PP for guns? You will be SOL, not "might", if things go south.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you post the bastage's name and the address that you sent the money order to, it might help prevent a similar loss from another member here.

Agree. Please post.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really bad getting scammed that way.

Being a newbie on this site I know it takes a while to establish a rep. Have done hundreds of transactions on other sites and usually have no issues with guys that have been members for a while. I often send cash because I am too lazy to go to PO. May be too trusting.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Contact USPS Inspectors. They're relentless. .
Postal Inspectors are usually not much help. Sending a Postal MO affords you no special privledge. You were not defrauded via mail, you contacted the scammer and sent him money.

You will rarely get your money back for a myriad of reasons. Jurisdiction alone is a hurdle, plus theyre busy with the murders, rapes and armed robberies. Cops getting a call from out of state about you giving somebody else your money is not high on their list.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
Since when do Postal inspectors work murder, rape or robbery cases?? Never.....
Using the postal service to defraud is a crime period.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I had a gun lost in shipping and talked to a postal inspector who called me and he was VERY much appreciative for the outreach. He also asked that I save his number in case in the future I needed assistance with a future transaction involving a firearm.

I'd say they'd be very responsive based on my interaction.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what Postal Inspectors do investigate.
They have Federal jurisdiction.
Contact them ASAP.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
Since when do Postal inspectors work murder, rape or robbery cases?? Never.....
Using the postal service to defraud is a crime period.

Not never, rarely. They are up to their eyeballs in Fentanyl.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by musc:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Contact USPS Inspectors. They're relentless. They may ask if you want to prosecute or get your funds back. My choice would be to prosecute. Restitution can come after adjudication in criminal trial. Get a felony arrest on his record.

^^ This. I had a similar situation about 6-7 years ago where I sent a USPS MO and was scammed. It look a few months but I did get my money back. I wish I had prosecuted but at that time I was to the point where I wanted my $2k back. You can contact the USPS inspectors a few different ways at the link below. Good luck sir.

http://about.usps.com/publicat...pub300a_tech_024.htm

I would let them know this is a firearms related investigation. That may increase the urgency of their response...

Andy, so sorry about this. But, please do NOT follow this advise. This IS NOT a firearms related investigation. It is no more a firearms related investigation, than it is an internal affairs investigation when they pose to be the police to scam people. People tend to talk themselves into a lack of credibility when they attempt to classify things improperly to use buzzwords to say "look at me".

Contact the local LE in the area they scammer lives first. Find out if they need a local to you LE report to start an investigation on their end. I deal with this stuff on occasion at work. It is frustrating and often really hard to get things done. I've got 50 open cases right now, and it simply isn't getting any better. BUT- when we get calls with local leads, we chop a detective or two to follow up on it. Nobody, especially detectives likes a scammer, and getting to put one in jail is like a gift.

Just call the local guys at the point of the scam, see what they need. Be honest with them, and don't try to pad it by claiming it is something that its not. I wish you the best on getting your money back.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Can someone share the scammer's name with me via email if posting it here is not going to happen?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
David Sawyer
13640 Fm 1314 Rd
Conroe, TX 77302
tel: 5139008549

purnelly@att.net is the email address used for registration

bofffycatie@gmail.com was used for communication

Posted from 197.211.60.59, 154.118.13.139, 154.118.48.104, 197.211.60.54

You should operate under the assumption that a low-life thief like this has likely already re-registered in the forum, so when you see a deal in Classifieds that's too good to be true, it's a scam, gentlemen. If you fall for this kind of thing after reading this thread, don't blame the thief. It'll be on you.

Be very skeptical. Ask questions. If you have any doubt at all, walk away and I will back you up.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ask the seller to take a photo of the item sitting on top of a copy of a newspaper that shows the date, or ask them to hold up the item in front of the Foxnews page or the SIGforum Lounge, showing the current topics, and take a picture. This low-life scum is enticing you with items that they do not actually possess. Ask them to prove that they actually have the item. That'll eliminate a lot of this disgusting shit right off the bat.

If you suspect a scam and ask them to do this, and they cannot or will not do it, walk away and email me with the details.

Picture of musc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ask the seller to take a photo of the item sitting on top of a copy of a newspaper that shows the date, or ask them to hold up the item in front of the Foxnews page or the SIGforum Lounge, showing the current topics, and take a picture. This low-life scum is enticing you with items that they do not actually possess. Ask them to prove that they actually have the item. That'll eliminate a lot of this disgusting shit right off the bat.

If you suspect a scam and ask them to do this, and they cannot or will not do it, walk away and email me with the details.

I did that a lot in the past where I would write my forum name and current date on a sticky note and place it next to the item when taking pictures. Might not be unreasonable to make it a requirement moving forward. It wouldn't take much effort and would thwart the plan of those who do not actually possess the item.

Posts: 93 | Location: SC | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para for posting the info.
Thanks jljones as well.

I'm going to limit posting what all and who all I'm in contact with as he is still reading the forum. He let me know in an email he sent saying no need for angry beers referencing my first post.

Here is an additional phone # he gave: 8453934314

I was too trusting, never again.

Here are some serial numbers of guns he sends photos of:
PSL 54c (serial: *254-15)
Walther P5C (ser: 152212)
Springfield M1A (loaded) (serial: 192100)

There are others, here was the list he sent of other stuff he wanted to "sell" after the PSL deal. What made me suspicious.

Bulgarian makarov
Fn scar 17
Several Nightforce scopes
Springfield trp operator
Springfield emp
Kimber crimson pro II
Colt m45 cqb
Russian svd dragunov
Tikka t3 creedmoor
Hk usp
Hk p7m13
Browning citori xtrap combo
Fn 5.7

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by musc:
I did that a lot in the past where I would write my forum name and current date on a sticky note and place it next to the item when taking pictures.
Yes, that's an excellent idea because it's simpler than what I was suggesting. Have the seller write your name and the date on a sticky and take a pic of the item with that sticky.
If they give you a hard time, or stop responding, let me know.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It does seem like we've had a sudden influx of new members who seem to head straight to the Classifieds in the past couple weeks.

I'm very suspicious of them as well as those who can't seem to be able to figure out how to post a picture, regardless of how long they've been here. I automatically pass them by.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The serial number of the Nightforce NXS was Z13378

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The address is a trailer home park, and the IP addresses are listed as being located in Lagos, Nigeria.

A lot of posts about scams when you google the phone number.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5139008549

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
David Sawyer
13640 Fm 1314 Rd
Conroe, TX 77302
tel: 5139008549

purnelly@att.net is the email address used for registration

bofffycatie@gmail.com was used for communication

Posted from 197.211.60.59, 154.118.13.139, 154.118.48.104, 197.211.60.54

You should operate under the assumption that a low-life thief like this has likely already re-registered in the forum, so when you see a deal in Classifieds that's too good to be true, it's a scam, gentlemen. If you fall for this kind of thing after reading this thread, don't blame the thief. It'll be on you.

Be very skeptical. Ask questions. If you have any doubt at all, walk away and I will back you up.

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 87 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post